Mezametara Saikyou Soubi to Uchuusenmochi Datta node, Ikkodate Mezashite Youhei toshite Jiyuu ni Ikitai - Vol. 8 Ch. 40.1

Double-page supporter
Scanning someone's ship should probably be illegal. If I were him, my immediate assumption would be they've pirates and set up an ambush for cargo. :worry:
"Me who's been playing Starsector too much"
Probably a patrol trying to scan for contrabands because his suspicion level is extreme for buying fuel and supplies in the black market because screw the 30% tariff :meguusmug:

Dex-chan lover
Ahhh. The "Sponsorship" contract.

This can actually be a really good thing. If you know a certain company to make a product that's good enough that you'll always take them over whatever the competition has to offer, then being offered a contract like that can be a big deal.

Believe it or not, it can give Hiro the leverage to say, "Look, this brand is offering these great features in their new product. And we both know that if I'm advertising the best you have to offer, then I can't be seen going around in a second-rate ride."

Dex-chan lover
Or... They are scanning the new ship to determine if it is a pirate ship. If simply scanning a ship was illegal, then there would be vastly more "shoot first" scenarios, as that would be the only way to determine the intention of the other ship.
Without being able to scan the ship for, say, ID and, by extension, allegiance you would have no way to determine if they were, for example, pirates.

What they are doing constitutes harassment, but only to the point of someone today videoing or taking pictures of another's car/truck, which certainly isn't illegal (at least not on public property, which is basically any paved road, except driveways, which aren't roads).
Now, if their scanning goes so far as to read their cargo? That could potentially be illegal. But getting the architecture of the ship and module/weapon information, not so much. Understanding the combat capabilities of those around you, in situations like this, is more of a safety precaution than a sign of aggression. And disallowing that would put everyone at risk.

Again, harassment, due to the number of people doing it and the (implied) length of time they are doing it for. But it's clearly stated that his ship is unique in this universe, and that the people doing it are engineers curious about this unique ship that has shown up in their work area. It would be like saying someone can shoot another for asking (far) too many questions about their modified car.
Not a perfect analogy since the only real world equivalent is the picture/video one, and then Google-ing what was captured.

Ok. Enough wall of text.
Maybe if it were just the law enforcement of that area scanning the ship, but when it's every Tom, Dick, and Harry, that's an issue. These are just random engineers though.

Pirates scanned his ship in the early chapters, it can get all the info including cargo. To put it in perspective, this would be like every person you walk past on the street getting all the physical information about you and anything related to your identity. It would be nearly impossible to determine which of them have dubious intentions. I'd suspect all of them.

Dex-chan lover
normally in space games, in most some areas it is required normal to scan all objects ships, because space pirates always try to enter the systems bringing their "cargos", which remember becomes property of whoever shoots them down...
Of course, anyone with decent cargo can become a "pirate".

Dex-chan lover
Nah they just a spaceship nerds. Remember, Hiro’s ships is actually unique plus Hiro himself is the fastest rank merc. The aforementioned contract is just they want Hiro become like “celebrity” to advertise their company and doing some test piloting.
I'm aware. I read the chapter. That doesn't change the fact that they could also be something more. Anyone can be less than kind when given the right incentive.

Dex-chan lover
Its probably not for that very reason, you never know if a nearby ship is a pirate one, so scanning them can be a matter of safety and self defense. Though when you have them surrounded like this, yeah it feels wrong. There should be some restrictions, like its fine to scan the ship ID, as that's the whole point of it, and that its ok to do a further scan if anything is amiss, ID not broadcasting, they are surrounding you ect. This felt like tech theft, as they were not scanning for cargo but scanning the ship itself to find out info one it as craftsman.
They could be scanning for anything for all he knows. That's what's scary about it.

le3

Dex-chan lover
This should give you a good comparison

Screenshot_4.png

But if not, there is this
Screenshot_11.png

see how Wiska head barely reach Hiro's lower false rib? They are basically almost half the height of Mimi.
Uooohhhh 😭 indeed. Thank you for sharing!

Dex-chan lover
How tall were the dwarves in the wn/ln?
No exact number but adult males are typical dwarves, adult females are middle-schooler girls at best.
I'd chalk it at, 120-140cm for the ladies.
But the LNs do portray them in illustrations as quite small supposedly just a bit past Hiro's waist, think harvins from granblue fantasy, or lalafells of ff14.

Reactions: le3
Dex-chan lover
First rule of negotiating at a dealership.... never let them know your budget.
I thought Hiro have the head of that noble family's support to buy a ship? Iirc, its some sort of massive discount?

• Thinking

Me

Double-page supporter
somebody did her homework right, he prob gonna get scammed again
Oh, he totally got scammed.
By Mei.

They chopped out most of the negotiations, which largely consisted of Mei completely respeccing the ship to her preference under the guise of "suggestions" and "advice".

But she's got his back. No one else gets to play him like that. He's getting a pretty good deal(and it's about to become even better. Space Dwerger's got some rowdy employees.)

Dex-chan lover
I'm not sure how to feel of the fact that they cut the whole mess that the engineer nerds made by actually violating the ship once it docked, some part of me is glad that the manga is moving forward but another feels weird about how some world building is getting cut (not to mention how they violated krishna made them have an advantage on negotiations).

Dex-chan lover
They cut a lot of small things, like the dweger harassing the crew when they disenbark at the dock. (because they want to enter the ship to analyse it)

About the deal, it's mostly a sponsorship about media rights.

I thought Hiro have the head of that noble family's support to buy a ship? Iirc, its some sort of massive discount?
I don't remember Hiro using the coin in the LN

Dex-chan lover
You do know that there is still a difference look wise between a underaged girl, and a short women? Just because they are short doesn't mean undeveloped.
Yeah, Mimi is short (a head shorter than Elma). The dwarves literally remind Hiro of children in the LN. Mimi is also 15, the age of adulthood in the story, and looks 12 (Christina looks the same age) except for her chest.

Well, until after Hiro and the twins do the deed—which takes Hiro a long time to do compared to Mimi and Elma because them looking like kids is a turn-off—then the text changes to constantly saying they look like miniature adults (like Tatsumaki in One Punch Man).

• Wow

Users who are viewing this thread