Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear - Vol. 10 Ch. 98 - Kuma-san Visits the Orphanage

Dex-chan lover
If I remember correctly Neaf’s short backstory in the LN is sadder than the one here, since I remember reading this part feeling sad then happy when she found a place helping the orphans.
Though, tbf all Anzu’s helpers went with her to get over bad memories (lost loved ones, etc) that happened in the seaside town.

The manga mentioned these facts very briefly (for instance ch. 97 pg.5) and mostly gloss over it probably to keep the tone cheery, which I can understand. The overall series vibe is fluffy and no need to get it too dark.

le3

Dex-chan lover
If I remember correctly Neaf’s short backstory in the LN is sadder than the one here, since I remember reading this part feeling sad then happy when she found a place helping the orphans.
Though, tbf all Anzu’s helpers went with her to get over bad memories (lost loved ones, etc) that happened in the seaside town.

The manga mentioned these facts very briefly (for instance ch. 97 pg.5) and mostly gloss over it probably to keep the tone cheery, which I can understand. The overall series vibe is fluffy and no need to get it too dark.
Would you mind sharing her backstory?

Dex-chan lover
Thank u always for ur great work...
^^...

Well at least she found what she really want to do now...
:win: :thumbsup:

Dex-chan lover
So while the story focuses on wholesome fluff there's a war, plague or other catastrophe, suddenly increasing the number of orphans, going on in the background?

Fed-Kun's army
Holy fuck wtf is this from the wn? Didn't expected shit is quite dark
It's from the LN (and probably the WN).

They're all rape victims who have come to work in Yuna's store so they could get away from their hometown which reminds them of what happened to them. Neaf in particular is said to have had kids who were killed by the bandits as well, which is why she's drawn to the orphans. Though in the novel she's a little freaked out by all the kids and resists working there but eventually realizes it's the best way for her to heal.

The manga also glosses over one of Yuna's few negative qualities here, the fact that she can't read the room to save her life. While getting all the women settled in at the store, she jokes that the living quarters are women only, no male visitors allowed. The women all kinda blankly stare at her until she realizes that was a really bad joke to tell to a group of rape victims.

Fed-Kun's army
So while the story focuses on wholesome fluff there's a war, plague or other catastrophe, suddenly increasing the number of orphans, going on in the background?
The black viper killed a lot of people before Yuna got there. The same can be said for a lot of Yuna's big saves. She usually arrives after the crisis starts, so there's already victims/orphans created.

Dex-chan lover
Why did the orphan increase? Before this the orphan not increase but suddenly increase when Yuna help the orphan?
With an underfunded and dilapidated orphanage I wouldn't be surprised if there were kids who just decided to take the chance and fend for themselves. Now that the orphanage is better off they'd be more likely to go there for help.

Dex-chan lover
For those who read spoiler above comment
At some point, when Yuna brings them back to their hometown for a holiday trip (well more accurately, bringing orphans folks to the beach), those girls did regain some courage and visit friends etc to say hello, IIRC they kinda have got over it after working at Azue Store for several months, but still fear however they have improved their mental over time. They still want to work at Azue store, so they were just visiting

Dex-chan lover
Ah she was a mom, that's why she probably enjoys being around the kids. Very admirable ngl.

Dex-chan lover
Would you mind sharing her backstory?
As others have explained it is quite dark. For Neaf specifically, she lost her child or children (and partner) when Mileela had the kraken and bandit problem. That’s why she felt an affinity with helping orphans.
For the others, it’s mostly what other commenters have said.
How dark it is also explains why people of Mileela practically worships Yuna.

Users who are viewing this thread