Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear - Vol. 10 Ch. 98 - Kuma-san Visits the Orphanage

Dex-chan lover
As others have explained it is quite dark. For Neaf specifically, she lost her child or children (and partner) when Mileela had the kraken and bandit problem. That’s why she felt an affinity with helping orphans.
For the others, it’s mostly what other commenters have said.
How dark it is also explains why people of Mileela practically worships Yuna.
Given that she was a medieval woman with children, I think it makes no sense to call her husband simply a "partner".
It's from the LN (and probably the WN).

They're all rape victims who have come to work in Yuna's store so they could get away from their hometown which reminds them of what happened to them. Neaf in particular is said to have had kids who were killed by the bandits as well, which is why she's drawn to the orphans. Though in the novel she's a little freaked out by all the kids and resists working there but eventually realizes it's the best way for her to heal.

The manga also glosses over one of Yuna's few negative qualities here, the fact that she can't read the room to save her life. While getting all the women settled in at the store, she jokes that the living quarters are women only, no male visitors allowed. The women all kinda blankly stare at her until she realizes that was a really bad joke to tell to a group of rape victims.
The real horror is not even in the events themselves, but in the fact that this was the norm for those times. That is, if the setting is trying to be realistic in this matter, then there are probably thousands, if not millions of people in this world with a similar fate.

Seriously? A joke about dating men in a sorority house for rape victims? Even if they wanted to illustrate her bad traits, I can understand why it didn't make it into the manga.

Fed-Kun's army
Given that she was a medieval woman with children, I think it makes no sense to call her husband simply a "partner".

The real horror is not even in the events themselves, but in the fact that this was the norm for those times. That is, if the setting is trying to be realistic in this matter, then there are probably thousands, if not millions of people in this world with a similar fate.

Seriously? A joke about dating men in a sorority house for rape victims? Even if they wanted to illustrate her bad traits, I can understand why it didn't make it into the manga.
"Partner" has been a synonym for spouse for 300 years.

Dex-chan lover
Would you mind sharing her backstory?
Basically in the Meera arc, her husband and child was murderd by the rotten adventurers that were posing as bandits that was hired by that corrupt Commercial guild master. She and the other girls that followed Anzu where one of the many kidnapped females that were taken by the "bandits". They all followed Anzu to get away to try to get away from all the memories and need to get away from it all so they could try to heal. You find this out, which isn't really shown in the manga, when Yuna showed them the female only domitory she set up for them all to stay and jokenly state that they can't bring back men as there is a no men were allowed rule. And they rebutted that they won't since they are recently lost their husbands and still dealing with that lose. They even mention that Neaf even lost her child during that situation. It was implied by the other ladies when Neaf requested to be full time at the orphanage and not work at Anzu's shop, that they were OK with it as they saw that her taking care of and playing with the children at the orphage was helping her deal with the lost of her child.

Dex-chan lover
"Partner" has been a synonym for spouse for 300 years.
"Synonym". This is a general word to describe a any person with whom you are in a romantic or sexual relationship. Why can't you just say spouse or husband? I understand that now it is common to use this word much more often to make life easier for people with “non-traditional” relationships, but we are talking about a medieval woman who had a very ordinary family.

Fed-Kun's army
"Synonym". This is a general word to describe a any person with whom you are in a romantic or sexual relationship. Why can't you just say spouse or husband? I understand that now it is common to use this word much more often to make life easier for people with “non-traditional” relationships, but we are talking about a medieval woman who had a very ordinary family.
No, it literally meant "Marriage partner" not any sexual or romantic relationship. It's MORE correct to use it for the person you are married to than the more casual way it is used now.

Dex-chan lover
No, it literally meant "Marriage partner" not any sexual or romantic relationship. It's MORE correct to use it for the person you are married to than the more casual way it is used now.
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/partner - Even the Cambridge Dictionary lists same-sex relationships as an example of the word in a relationship context. Because otherwise you would just say husband or wife, which is what they do when they give the dancing husband and wife example below.

But these are nuances. Can you imagine a medieval woman, or even a modern woman, introducing her husband as her "Marriage partner"? Or talking about someone else's spouse "oh, they are their marriage partner"? Not to mention girlfriends or boyfriends. This would obviously be very strange and pointlessly formal. It's as if you were describing the imperial concubine as his sexual partner. Sure, technically you can say that, but it's a pointlessly formal and generic word choice.

Last edited:
Fed-Kun's army
Can you imagine a medieval woman, or even a modern woman, introducing her husband as her "Marriage partner"?
Yes. Because they literally did. It just sounds weird to you because you're used to the modern version of it. The point stands that referring to them as 'partner' is perfectly correct and you're quibbling for weirdly nebulous reasons.

Dex-chan lover
Yes. Because they literally did. It just sounds weird to you because you're used to the modern version of it. The point stands that referring to them as 'partner' is perfectly correct and you're quibbling for weirdly nebulous reasons.
In that case, could you provide me with any examples of this particular usage? Books, films, any research, even Wikipedia. I have a feeling that you are simply ignoring the context of the words used.

Dex-chan lover
Holy fuck wtf is this from the wn? Didn't expected shit is quite dark :shamihuh:
Iirc this was mentioned in the manga too in throwaway lines. Before seeing these women, iirc it was Anzu that mentioned them being... victims of the previous mayor.

And it was mentioned that the previous mayor and the bandits... "used" captured women while killing all the men, you connect the dots...

• Angry
Reactions: le3
Dex-chan lover
in manga the "oh wait i like children" is always "so ill get a child career and not have any of my own".

truth in fiction? civilization is doomed

im chudposting but this manga is stale because nobody's feelings are ever wrong and no hard lessons ever have to be learned, its like she's playing with dolls instead of living with real people

imagine if this author were given political power. itd be mass cash handouts to the poor and itd just get worse from there

Fed-Kun's army
Thanks for the translation, this is my favorite web novel and is cool know that the manga wasnt drop it

Dex-chan lover
Why did the orphan increase? Before this the orphan not increase but suddenly increase when Yuna help the orphan?
My guess is, with the tunnel open they brought in orphans. A lot of people died from the bandits, and with a starving town nobody would take care of them. With lose of a lot of infrastructure they likely decided to move the orphans to Crimola

Dex-chan lover
in manga the "oh wait i like children" is always "so ill get a child career and not have any of my own".

im chudposting but this manga is stale because nobody's feelings are ever wrong and no hard lessons ever have to be learned, its like she's playing with dolls instead of living with real people

imagine if this author were given political power. itd be mass cash handouts to the poor and itd just get worse from there
Her child and husband died...and she is suffering from trauma and you think her reaction would be to get children on her own?

End of the day, she needs a job. There is an opening in the orphanage so she prefers that job over being a waiter

I will remind you that Kuma Kuma bear only donated the bare necessities for the orphanage while ultimately choosing to get the kids jobs so they aren't dependent on the whims of the government or herself. Aka, she creates a framework for them solving their own issues, not throw handouts

Of course this novel in general is pretty light as it is suppose to be more wholesome with a hint of harsh reality here and there

Dex-chan lover
My guess is, with the tunnel open they brought in orphans. A lot of people died from the bandits, and with a starving town nobody would take care of them. With lose of a lot of infrastructure they likely decided to move the orphans to Crimola

Not sure if it would be related to Meera as access to that tunnel wasn't open to the public and Anzu was basically the 1st group that was able to use it. I think it's more like neighboring towns that might have been affect by monster attacks like that that one town that was attacked earlier by the Black Viper. Or could be kids that are in similiar situtations to Fina where the parents got sick but never recovered from their illness.

Also before Yuna got involved with the orphanage, it was in a pretty bad place. The funding got cut due to imbezzlement and corruption with the noble that was in charge of the funds, they were barely able to feel the mouths that they had. I don't remember if it was stated but because of this the Orphanage Director had to turn away/ignore other orphans that were on the streets because she could barely take care of the ones under her care. After Yuna got involved and greatly improved their situation by setting up a framework for self sufficiancy as well as opening doors and opportunities for the kids with her businesses and her clout with the commercial guild, arranging a basic education for them, etc., the Orphanage Director now has the capacity and leeway to stop ignoring those other ophans and help them out.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover

Her child and husband died...and she is suffering from trauma and you think her reaction would be to get children on her own?

End of the day, she needs a job. There is an opening in the orphanage so she prefers that job over being a waiter

I will remind you that Kuma Kuma bear only donated the bare necessities for the orphanage while ultimately choosing to get the kids jobs so they aren't dependent on the whims of the government or herself. Aka, she creates a framework for them solving their own issues, not throw handouts

Of course this novel in general is pretty light as it is suppose to be more wholesome with a hint of harsh reality here and there

Man... cksn's rage bait post is one of those thing that says tell me you're a know nothing idiot without saying you're a know nothing idiot. At least someone else had the decency to want to find out and asked for Neaf's backstory before rendering judgment on her instead of making baseless assumption and spew out false claims.

Dex-chan lover
Not sure if it would be related to Meera as access to that tunnel wasn't open to the public and Anzu was basically the 1st group that was able to use it. I think it's more like neighboring towns that might have been affect by monster attacks like that that one town that was attacked earlier by the Black Viper. Or could be kids that are in similiar situtations to Fina where the parents got sick but never recovered from their illness.

Also before Yuna got involved with the orphanage, it was in a pretty bad place. The funding got cut due to imbezzlement and corruption with the noble that was in charge of the funds, they were barely able to feel the mouths that they had. I don't remember if it was stated but because of this the Orphanage Director had to turn away/ignore other orphans that were on the streets because she could barely take care of the ones under her care. After Yuna got involved and greatly improved their situation by setting up a framework for self sufficiancy as well as opening doors and opportunities for the kids with her businesses and her clout with the commercial guild, arranging a basic education for them, etc., the Orphanage Director now has the capacity and leeway to stop ignoring those other ophans and help them out.
The first group who used the tunnel commercially. But people obviously used the tunnel for official business. Commerce guild sent people back and forth, cliff sent people back and forth and etc. So it isn't surprising if the orphans were brought in by Cliff before the tunnel opened officially. Especially since Cliff already suffered the consequences of ignoring the orphans in the past

That said, even if say they were not brought in prior. Anzu and Yuna first went to the shop, during that time other groups would have went through

The black viper incident happened quite a while ago. So it wouldn't be a recent thing, that and there would be little reason to send the orphans to the city. Villages tend to take care of their own, it is easier for them since they have land. Especially these orphans who would have their parent's land

The orphans on the street would have been taken in long ago once stuff stabilized. And would be done one by one, not an entire group as here where it was done recently

Dex-chan lover

No one is stopping her from having other children in the future and the idea that she will never have children again due to trauma is quite depressing, to say the least. But it is quite strange to expect that she should have children right away as a resolution to the trauma of losing her previous child. By the same logic, people could expect that they would immediately begin looking for men to resolve the trauma of rape. Psychological trauma doesn't work that way.

Not to mention, this way these women and orphans will help each other cope with the loss of their parents and children respectively.

P.S. As expected, I didn't get any examples in response to my question, just salty emoji reactions from people who weren't even involved in the discussion. Classic.

Double-page supporter
P.S. As expected, I didn't get any examples in response to my question, just salty emoji reactions from people who weren't even involved in the discussion. Classic.
Be careful not to directly mention those uninvolved reactors, they might just tell you to off yourself and all they get is a little temp ban...

Speaking from experience in this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread