The Bugle Call - Vol. 5 Ch. 14 - Plans for the Future

Dex-chan lover
The Pope: Don't forget, you're here forever

Lucas:
Zoe.png

Dex-chan lover
Miura making Lucas nervous right before the ceremony genuinely made me laugh. The flashback to his past with the mercenaries actually explains a lot, I remember reading chapter 1 and wondering why Lucas got so emotional when Gerhart told him he was pretty good. I mean I understood why he was emotional, but it felt like a really big reaction from him at the time.

I'm glad Lucas called the Pope out on his "I'm doing this for her sake, it cannot be prevented" bullshit. I fucking BET the Empire would say the EXACT same thing about using the Garland.

Dex-chan lover
Another superb chapter, it's continually refreshing how self-reflective the characters are, flawed but aware of it, and the story doesn't hit readers over the head either lots of sides can have points. It was definitely fun to see Lucas suddenly wake up a bit to the differences between the battlefield and a pure concert, and kind of nice (as well as smart) for the Pope to arrange it that way, he could have chosen other means. We're watching Lucas and others grow as people and it feels really organic. Sounds like it's heading into a pretty major arc next.
Miura making Lucas nervous right before the ceremony genuinely made me laugh. The flashback to his past with the mercenaries actually explains a lot, I remember reading chapter 1 and wondering why Lucas got so emotional when Gerhart told him he was pretty good. I mean I understood why he was emotional, but it felt like a really big reaction from him at the time.
Agreed, it's good storytelling that the world building even from the first chapter continues to feature in natural and valuable ways. All these experiences and relationships building up.
I'm glad Lucas called the Pope out on his "I'm doing this for her sake, it cannot be prevented" bullshit. I fucking BET the Empire would say the EXACT same thing about using the Garland.
This I don't agree with you on though, nor see as bullshit. And what if the Empire did, so what? We've only had hints at the world's backstory, about what the towers were made for and what their controllers' goals were in the beginning or are at this point centuries later, but even so that doesn't change the fact that the Garland and Empire are indeed an objective, proven existential threat. They have wiped out other countries completely, there are no theoreticals here, they have been consistent in their strategy. I see no sign here that the Pope is in fact wrong, even if he has his own goals as well. She (and all the others) will almost certainly die or be enslaved if they lose (though obviously they could die on the battlefield too). Even if they were willing to selfishly sacrifice all the tens/hundreds of thousands of civilians to the Empire and run away, ignoring whatever the state of the rest of Earth is, as Rami they're tied to the tower and if the Emperor gained administrative rights over all the towers there probably is no minimum safe distance.

It's a hard pleasantly realistic war/geopolitics situation despite the semi-fantastic setting, with both ugly parts and really hopeful/funny parts.

Dex-chan lover
It's a hard pleasantly realistic war/geopolitics situation despite the semi-fantastic setting, with both ugly parts and really hopeful/funny parts.
Definitely. The conflict Lucas (and the others) face, about fighting a war or choosing your dream (or just living your life) is a very interesting and HARD dilemma, and it's a big part of what makes this series stand out to me. BTW I'm just now realizing the thematic similarities between this series and my #1 all time favorite manga Golden Kamuy. Personally I think it's very brave and admirable of the rami to stay and fight, but it would absolutely not be "selfish" of them to say no.

The Pope is still spouting bullshit though.
First, it is in no way in Zoe's best interest to be constantly fed lies, especially about something like her mother's death. Even if she's nine years old, you don't do that to a child. The Pope saying it's "for her sake" is utter, complete, 100% bullshit.
Second, about her fighting being the only way, I have a question: what would happen if, say, Zoe died? Would the Papal State automatically lose the war? I don't believe that for a second. If something happened to Zoe (or Lucas, or Demi), that would be a huge strategic blow to the Papal State, but not the end of world. Especially now that the Pope has the Mirror Ramus's power, which he specifically got to counter the Garland.
(The dilemma of fighting or not is still real, what Demi said in a previous chapter is still true, every time Zoe is not on the battlefield, other people will die. But it's not the only way to win the war. That's what makes this a compelling conflict to me.)
Generally, if anyone ever says "it's the only way, there's no other choice, it is unavoidable, it cannot be prevented", they are full of shit.

BTW I just realized another bit of worldbuilding. I remember in previous chapter some soldiers were talking about how after you die, your soul enters the Tower. Now we know where that religious belief comes from!

Fed-Kun's army
nice chapter btw is this bugle something the official english title?
"The Bugle Call" is official in the sense that it's what the author duo and Shueisha came up with, but whether it's "official, good and fitting" is a whole other matter. Case in point, "Attack on Titan" for Shingeki no Kyojin/進撃の巨人 was what Isayama-sensei and Kodansha came up with, so it's official, but awful and inadequate.

I say this because whilst "The Bugle Call" is a pretty decent title, it still doesn't exactly align completely with Sensou Kyoushitsu/戦奏教室

To explain:
  • 戦 - battle, war, fight
  • 奏 - a word that's often associated with playing an instrument
  • 教室 - classroom (I'm not kidding here)
If you were to be literal about it, the meaning is "Classroom of the War Performer"

The 戦奏 part I get, since "war instrumentalist/performer" very much hearkens back to Lucas' whole identity and role. In addition, "sensou" is also how you pronounce 戦争, meaning "war"
Less clear is 教室, since nothing comparable to a classroom has come into play yet. Emphasis on "yet", since it could be one of those things that get title-dropped down the line.

(Although, due to the 戦争 pun, one can also interpret the title as a pun for "Classroom for War", fitting given all the fancy tactics and stratagems showcased and enabled by Lucas and all the warring Rami in an almost educational manner. Intentional maybe?)

In short, "The Bugle Call" captures the 戦奏 but not the 教室, but until I see how the latter pops up down the line and hence whether it's earned its relevance, for now I assess the official title as an apt translation.

Dex-chan lover
Another nice chapter. And now time for a new arc. Man this is such a good manga. An anime adaptation is a guarantee at this point.

Dex-chan lover
Is it me or this reminds me of Akame ga kill a bit. It has that feeling in my mind i just cannot place it. anyone else get that feeling

Users who are viewing this thread