Sousou no Frieren - Vol. 13 Ch. 127 - Retrieval Mission

Dex-chan lover
It could be something as simple as racism against elves.
Doubt it. It's more like these elves are the sword of Damocles that will hang above the empire for generations, fueling the opposition with magical knowledge should the empire decide to expand and conquer.

Dex-chan lover
There is still some missing points about the real motivation of the shadow guys and what they want to accomplish. Imperial mages are not necessarily on their side, from my understanding of the dialogue.
The shadow warrior is under the Empire control so their goal is the same.

Shadow warrior is the spy & assassin that could work outside of the empire territory.
while the empire mage special force is the secret police that mainly work inside the empire and not so secretive.

Fed-Kun's army
someone in the JP forum brought up a good theory. what if this guard Kanone is the same person as Lineal, the spy that has been infiltrating for 15 years? they have similar dark, long hair. Wouldn't surprise me if she's using a fake name and changed her hairstyle every time she acts as a spy so that the Empire people don't recognize her.
Also it just came to me, but just like how Serie has Lineal as a spy in the Empire for 15 years, it doesn't mean the Empire hadn't also infiltrated Serie's ranks. For all we know, Lineal could be a double spy or maybe Falsch is the Empire's spy shrug just putting it out there

Dayum, the threat of demons is perceived to be "mostly over", thus... it's time for humans to kill each other, yaaaaaay

Dex-chan lover
Why would it be odd that the pin is bent? Wouldn't the pin be bent, if it fell off the person.
if the pin fell off it would be naturally in the orientation that it was originally installed with. Considering we havent seen super technical magic at any point for the purpose of refining it, i highly doubt something as nontrivial as high grade steels are common enough to justify their use of in decorative ornamentation, so the pin is either something super rigid or super soft.

granted if its soft i wouldnt imagine it to be unusual that they are intentionally bent if the clasp is MIA to stick in for an outing when its discovered too late to get the clasp replaced before going out.
At least I hope the Empire isn't evil
its an empire and the protagonists arent working for it. That has never been an option.
Also it just came to me, but just like how Serie has Lineal as a spy in the Empire for 15 years, it doesn't mean the Empire hadn't also infiltrated Serie's ranks. For all we know, Lineal could be a double spy or maybe Falsch is the Empire's spy shrug just putting it out there
ditzing around watching butterflies in a garden all day sounds less counterintelligence and more a subordinate taking as much of their one day off every 4 months to relax as hard as physically possible.

Fed-Kun's army
Huh, so the empire is going after them over a difference in magic philosophy? Surprising. Wonder if thats all.

Dex-chan lover
Well, the problem with the "Serie going to die" flags is Land. He did that whole test arc with clones while sitting in his village, and Serie called him out on it while letting know she followed his spell the whole way back to him. There's no reason the author couldn't have Serie able to use it also in this scenario. However, it's a dangerous story element (cool as it was) the author added with Land to be able to handwave any death on panel as "and then disappeared, she was a clone the whole time!".

I am hoping they do something cool with Serie, given her ridiculous magic power. And her and Frieren's semi-antagonistic relationship is too fun.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Hmm, the doujin artists are probably all over dem fern/frieren with cat ears vibes. I guess we can expect the first batch to drop by tomorrow?

Dex-chan lover
Stark, you also need to put the ears on
come on don't be shy
She put them on him for a panel, lol.

Why all non-main characters always look like they are going to fall asleep at any second?....
401d13ac97567f7f6d93601cb5a4ca7034335a86.pnj
It's called "their heads are angled relative to the viewing angle" and "most people don't have wide open eyes at all times".

You often see characters that are more popular appear more often in manga. It's how it works.
Most likely we're going to see Lawine and Laufen again soon too by this logic, they were together with Übel the most popular new characters in the anime. Though I'd guess we'd need a time skip and them having passed the first class exam to be able to travel where Frieren are now. Unless for example Lawine is included because of her relevance to the empire, iirc her brothers were in the capital too.
IIRC it should be about time for the first class exam again too. The last one was 28 years after Himmels death, and the current year is 31 years after his death. I think, I haven't gone back to check previous chapters yet.

Dex-chan lover
Hm...people's demon theory might hold.

Remember that Demon that walked away (in the past, who's name I forgotten) but she did say she wasn't good at "fighting" so it's conceivable that she has a mental/psychic ability. She technically only has to control one person in power to command the Shadow Military, since they seem to just do as they're told, no questions asked.

At least I hope the Empire isn't evil
That is an interesting theory, as it would explain why some parts of the empire are incredible shady and allow said empire to redeem itself.

Otherwise, Frieren may have to consider a "Kill-Everything" run. LMAO

Fed-Kun's army
I just had a thought, and now I feel like the guy in the "Sudden Realization" meme, but I hope I'm wrong... There's apparently a plan on for the Empire to assassinate Serie, right? And the assumption is that she's going to be whacked by a warrior, because sudden physical attacks are a mage's weakness, and surely no living mage is powerful enough to kill her with magic. We even see her solo Macht, the strongest of the Seven Sages of Destruction—and basically play with him—until she was convinced to hold off on killing him until they could figure out how to undo Di Agölze.

Well, here's the thing. One of Serie's most powerful magical defenses in that Macht fight? She no longer has it. She had to give it away as a privilege to one of her new successful first-class applicants. And who was that person? Just an Imperial mage...

Are we really so sure it's a warrior who's going to try to assassinate her? I do hope I'm wrong on this...

Users who are viewing this thread