“Okaeri, Papa” - Ch. 18 - Rift

Dex-chan lover
Could be a dating/marriage service and she's supposed to pick out of these men. There's nothing showing tons of men or that she stalked all these men. She's taking a look at her potential suitors. And then shes checking up on them, no worse than what a girl with Instagram or Facebook would do.
she didnt meet him from a dating/marriage or any kind of service though, she "coincidently" bumped into him then "accidently" forgot her purse and theres no reason to believe someone like him would even be on those kind of services

Dex-chan lover
You're quoting it the wrong way. "...Now for the next one. We have to hurry."
A difference without a difference.
Now for the next task. Now for the next step. Now for the next man. Its left unclear on purpose so you bite into it. Shes out of time. Because summers coming, or because she's dying? Again, unclear.
Because summer's coming. This is clearly a yearly event. You have no real evidence that she's dying, but we have pretty good evidence this is a yearly thing. What, has she been dying for years?
You have no clue whether he was on a dating app and she was looking through suitors. Just because she didn't use the site to meet up doesn't mean she didn't use it to scout for potential suitors.
So you think she used a dating service to build up entire profiles of several men, and stalk them to the places they frequent, then, instead of using said service to contact said men, she orchestrates a first meeting by pretending to have forgotten something? Then, finally, makes it a point not merely to throw away the notes, but burn them, along with the old man's clothes?

Come on, brother. 🤨

And again, you don't even think step parents are parents sooo your opinion is irrelevant.
Nobody does. That's rather the point. The kids all say "You're not my real X!", the single parent insists the child already has a parent, and the step parents commit child abuse at rates 100x higher than natural parents do. "Oh but I know-" Rates of abuse 100x higher than biological parents. The stereotype about the abusive step-parent exists for a reason, and it even makes biological sense.

Nobody thinks step-families are real families. Least of all the step-families.

Dex-chan lover
I have a feeling that oyakodon was always the plan.
From the beginning, Miyako went looking for a man that she could share with Touko. She found and married him and now it's Touko's responsibility to seduce him and finish the job.

Now they're taking advantage of Chika's paranoia to trigger her to act out and soil her relationship with her brother, getting rid of the one person so far who seemed to suspicious of them and likely to interfere.

That took so long for a new chapter. Bet the author himself is confused on how to proceed 🤣

Double-page supporter
There is a dark conspiracy afoot and yet all people can talk about are miniature violins and chicken rice bowls

Dex-chan lover
she didnt meet him from a dating/marriage or any kind of service though, she "coincidently" bumped into him then "accidently" forgot her purse and theres no reason to believe someone like him would even be on those kind of services
You don't know that. She could've found him on a marriage site and went to check him out in person.

Why wouldn't he? His mother is seen bothering him about getting married and he himself is worried about getting older and being completely involved in work.

Dex-chan lover
You don't know that. She could've found him on a marriage site and went to check him out in person.

Why wouldn't he? His mother is seen bothering him about getting married and he himself is worried about getting older and being completely involved in work.
Occam's razor is a thing for a reason. You're adding details that don't exist in the story. The other guy is not. Show us the part where it's a marriage site. None of this "it could be!". We didn't see one, and everything points to stalking.

Dex-chan lover

and he just doesnt ever bother mentioning that when talking about how they met?

its made clear in chapter 1 that he wasnt looking and had no interest

Dex-chan lover
A difference without a difference.

Because summer's coming. This is clearly a yearly event. You have no real evidence that she's dying, but we have pretty good evidence this is a yearly thing. What, has she been dying for years?

So you think she used a dating service to build up entire profiles of several men, and stalk them to the places they frequent, then, instead of using said service to contact said men, she orchestrates a first meeting by pretending to have forgotten something? Then, finally, makes it a point not merely to throw away the notes, but burn them, along with the old man's clothes?

Come on, brother. 🤨

Nobody does. That's rather the point. The kids all say "You're not my real X!", the single parent insists the child already has a parent, and the step parents commit child abuse at rates 100x higher than natural parents do. "Oh but I know-" Rates of abuse 100x higher than biological parents. The stereotype about the abusive step-parent exists for a reason, and it even makes biological sense.

Nobody thinks step-families are real families. Least of all the step-families.
A: the difference is completely there. Japanese is a contextual language.

B:she uses a dating site to find men, filters them, and then arranged a "meet cute" to test them. Manipulative? Sure. Evil? Nawh. Plenty of girls do it.

C:nothing says they do this every summer. Nothing. And yes, her mother could have been ill that whole time, and now it's gotten worse. Do you know how illness works?

D: you have no clue. I have 2 step parents. Have since I was 4. Never been abused, never said "You're not my real parent". You're just a complete piece of shit with out dated ideologies.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
You're quoting it the wrong way. "...Now for the next one. We have to hurry."

Now for the next task. Now for the next step. Now for the next man. Its left unclear on purpose so you bite into it. Shes out of time. Because summers coming, or because she's dying? Again, unclear.

You have no clue whether he was on a dating app and she was looking through suitors. Just because she didn't use the site to meet up doesn't mean she didn't use it to scout for potential suitors. Everything is left unclear for a REASON. The reason most likely being a surprise twist. Why make everything unclear if its just going to end up how the author is insinuating?

You're also just making shit up. "Pages of men". Its three pages. "Men she's never met before" you don't know that "men not from a dating profile" you don't know that.

And again, you don't even think step parents are parents sooo your opinion is irrelevant.
I don't know why you are trying to force the narrative that daughter and mom are some tragic people, having good reason to do what they do. They don't. The manga goes out of its way to portray them as ominous characters. The fact in chapter 14.5 showed the mom acted in a manipulative manner, baiting MC to force a meeting, and at the end of the chapter she was burning paper where the list of men, as if getting ride of evidence. Overall, it doesn't paint her in a good way. And then in this very chapter, you see mom an daughter smiling right after the sister lost her marbles, no doubt due to their machinations. To you, that is normal behavior? No, they are not normal at all, least of all their machination lead to friction between MC and his sister. They are not good people. And that regardless if the manga force some sob background story for them.

Dex-chan lover
Occam's razor is a thing for a reason. You're adding details that don't exist in the story. The other guy is not. Show us the part where it's a marriage site. None of this "it could be!". We didn't see one, and everything points to stalking.
Show me the part where its not? You're doing the same fucking thing. We didn't see her stalk him prior. We don't see his info on the laptop. "Everything points to".

Right there. You're doing the same fucking thing. Points to, means you're making a jump based on something not shown.

Dex-chan lover
I don't know why you are trying to force the narrative that daughter and mom are some tragic people, having good reason to do what they do. They don't. The manga goes out of its way to portray them as ominous characters. The fact in chapter 14.5 showed the mom acted in a manipulative manner, baiting MC to force a meeting, and at the end of the chapter she was burning paper where the list of men, as if getting ride of evidence. Overall, it doesn't paint her in a good way. And then in this very chapter, you see mom an daughter smiling right after the sister lost her marbles, no doubt due to their machinations. To you, that is normal behavior? No, they are not normal at all, least of all their machination lead to friction between MC and his sister. They are not good people. And that regardless if the manga force some sob background story for them.

They haven't done anything on screen that's cause for them being bad people. Not forcing, just saying it could be. For a manga based on so much mystery and lack of information, the author does go out of their way to portray them as sketchy. Even too far out of his way. Seems like they're trying too hard to make it seem like that without committing to it in a meaningful way.

Like, she burns the paper with his name on it. But it's in a candle. This could be destroying evidence OR it could have a spiritual meaning like good luck or chasing away evil.

and he just doesnt ever bother mentioning that when talking about how they met?

its made clear in chapter 1 that he wasnt looking and had no interest

Why would he mention that? He gets like, two panels where he talks about them meeting. If you're saying why doesn't the mangaka mention it, its because they've got everything in this manga obscured and mysterious for a reason.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Why would he mention that? He gets like, two panels where he talks about them meeting. If you're saying why doesn't the mangaka mention it, its because they've got everything in this manga obscured and mysterious for a reason.
why wouldnt he mention it...? thats kind of a really critical detail....?

They haven't done anything on screen that's cause for them being bad people.

i think your forgetting that entire arc where touko systematically ruined her classmates entire life leading to her getting kidnapped by a stalker

these two are sus as hell, even if they dont have anything "bad" or "evil" planned they have some kind of agenda and are manipulated MC to achieve it

Dex-chan lover
why wouldnt he mention it...? thats kind of a really critical detail....?

i think your forgetting that entire arc where touko systematically ruined her classmates entire life leading to her getting kidnapped by a stalker

these two are sus as hell, even if they dont have anything "bad" or "evil" planned they have some kind of agenda and are manipulated MC to achieve it
Why would he? Would you tell everyone you were looking for a wife on a dating app if you just "naturally" met a girl? Especially in Japan where image is so important.

She also saves her classmate, who is a grade A piece of shit, from an abusive mother. And the mangaka does the thing again where he doesn't show what happens. That guy could just as easily be her real dad as a stalker. Re-read that chapter thinking its her dad instead of a creep and see what I mean.

They are sus, and definitely have an agenda. I just don't think it's going to be as devious as everyone thinks, and the mangaka is going to do a "see don't be so judgemental" twist in the end.

Dex-chan lover
She also saves her classmate, who is a grade A piece of shit, from an abusive mother. And the mangaka does the thing again where he doesn't show what happens. That guy could just as easily be her real dad as a stalker. Re-read that chapter thinking its her dad instead of a creep and see what I mean.

re-read the chapter and see that hes the creepy stalker she had back in the childhood idol days...

https://mangadex.org/chapter/8503b126-49a9-4ef7-b767-4ccc450b831a/23

are you even reading the series? she doesnt save her classmate from an absuvie mother, she sets her classmate up!

Dex-chan lover
Man, i dont know what or how good, god-fearing "real" family raise you to the point of screaming that stepfamilies aren't real families in a manga piracy forum

Users who are viewing this thread