MangaDex Forums

L
Luoir
It's acceptable at least for me, if the original line isn't necessarily serious or conveying a message.

For example, in one panel of Hell Mode chap 51, I translated "That's why we're here to defeat you!" to "That's exactly why we're jumping you!", a bit of a modern slang but it's funny and the original line was still see-able.

But most definitely, if the translator mislead the story because of a joke, he or she must be the 3rd criminal along Jesus that history didn't taught us about.
L
Luoir
Actually a controversal in my country: One of the newest chapter of Spy X Family, the line Anya said was along the lines of "I can read minds." and the translator made it as "Anya can read Damion's heart." and it got so much backlash lol. That's one example of "unforgivable" because the original line was meant to be taken seriously
Arin-san
Arin-san
@Luoir But what if instead of "That's exactly why we're jumping you!" you used "Gyatt's exactly why we're skibiding you in ohio"? What you've done is very tame and I doubt anyone has a problem with it. I'm talking about Tomoshibi scans level of mistranslation that's done on purpose.
L
Luoir
I would personally see to it that they be crucify.

Would you mind sending an example? I do not wish to believe that someone actually do something of that level.
Arin-san
Arin-san
@Luoir Check out Valhalla Otintin-Kan from Tomoshibi and especially every chapter from this manga. Purposefully mistranslating honorifics, adding zoomer jokes which kind of ruins the atmosphere of a scene.