Oh!!! Thank you for the update!!!! And I love reading your notes at the end- gives more insight and allows me to appreciate the story even more.

Honestly I really enjoy reading your end cards. Somehow it makes me more excited for the next chapters, and I love the extra information you give us.
Is it weird to say that I feel like I can feel your hmm... sincerity(?) with the series? Idk, it makes me happy to be able to tell that the translator is enjoying the series as much as I am.

Oh also, thank you for the chapter (lol) ❤️❤️

Thank you sooo much for the chapter!! I love reading your end notes !! 🙏🏻🙏🏻💛💛💛💛💛💛

Dex-chan lover
End card
That level of confusing sexual behaviour and drug stuff not being shocking probably says a lot about my early 20s.

He did whippits. That’s not great...
His kinks do NOT align, so BZZZT no go.

I honestly didn’t understand the bit with the losing all their friends. Maybe in context.

Fed-Kun's army
translator surprised at them huffing air canisters.... oh sweet sweet child you don't even want to know the kind of "weird" drugs gay men do. Whippits is small time and not even considered on the same level as drugs. You ain't seen nothing until you've seen a dude fucked off his tits on a drug cocktail where he's on all fours barking like a dog while shivering and sweating like he's overdosed on pcp.

edit - also lol at the "discussions" spawned by my comment on the last chapter. It's terribly obvious from the end card discussions now that most people haven't been involved in any actual gay community if you're so shocked about whippits. BL/yaoi manga has absolutely nothing to do with gay men and are basically just straight harlequin romance novels with some overcoming homophobia thrown in for drama. I've personally heard more than one older gay man say something like "I used to fist my sister's husband, but that was back in the 80s and something you just did then."

If anyone was reading this comic thinking that the main character was faultless or somehow better than their partners you're deluded.

Group Leader
@nikonekonya I knew back then things were crazy in the community, hence to horrible AIDs event in the US. HOWEVER, I didnt expect to read that in the essay if you feel me? Granted it is a lot darker than the manga, but something that hard-core just blindsided me.

Also yeah, the other drugs he did or were going to do seemed worst than whippits... I just hope the guy is better, but probably not considering in the essay, Nanasaki mentions his Twitter handle and if my detective work is right (which i regret doing), he is still doing stuff like before...

I actually like the long texts at the end! But damn, this guy had so many messed up exes 😓

I hope all of them find help! It really sheds a light on this community I’m not a part of. So glad things are better now for the author.

Thank you for scanlating!

I think the end notes are very helpful as they act to fill in all the gaps.

At this point, It's pretty clear that the manga so far has been more of a sampler of the novel. I mean, this chapter skipped around through years of Nanasaki's life after his break up with Takuma.

It would have been interesting to see a couple chapters dedicated to Hiroki and Nanasaki's crazy relationship. But maybe with how frowned upon drug use is in Japanese society; the mangaka didn't want to show a gay man abusing drugs? I imagine many Japanese readers who aren't aware how many gay men abuse drugs, could be surprised by that. The manga has certainly left out some more of the darker parts of the novel. I'd be curious what the mangaka would have to say in an interview or something, if asked how they went about adapting the manga from the novel.
On one hand, I wish the manga would have adapted more from the novel to get a fuller picture of the whole story. But this is me looking at this through a Westerner's lens. I think the way the manga adaption has worked so far might be more digestible for Japanese audiences. Maybe, idk. The manga would need to be several volumes if it full adapted the novel, I'm sure.

Still, it's been an enjoyable read. I would be so happy if this ever go a TV/movie anime adaptation. Or a live action movie. With that kind of format, I could see more of the novel being adapted.

I'm really grateful for the end notes. Honestly, I would have dropped this manga without them because it's just too shallow a representation of what he's really going through, but it's a good read because the end notes flesh out a lot of things. Thank-you for your efforts!

Is there no english translate of the book ? I'm sooo curious with the full story, this short story ini manga is mot enough for my hunger for this good story :((

Sem

Dex-chan lover
@nikonekonya
I understand your frustrations with the lack of knowledge, but like, I don't think gay communities really want huge swathes of straight people just kind of hanging around their spaces, so forgive us if we're ignorant.
I also don't think the kinds of people who have read 9 chapters into an autobiographical manga written by a gay rights activist are really deluding themselves into thinking yaoi hands are representative of real life in any way.

I'm here because I'm curious and I want to understand, and I really don't want to burden my irl friends with heavy and personal topics like this, especially when many of them are young and didn't experience the past 20-30 years of LGBT rights advances. My experiences and knowledge only go back about 10 years and revolves entirely around online teen culture, it's a completely different world and lacks a lot of history.

Users who are viewing this thread