Aggregator gang
@TrapCard113 Not evil persay more like they want to take control similar to our world back in the imperial era the more land they control the more wealth they can extract to enrich their nation.

@MNP92 Funny thing is the term barbaria was coined due to they can't understand the language back then it all like barbarbar or something.

Dex-chan lover
Thus begins the rolf stomp of the second nation.

1st - Medieval
2nd - Pre-Industrial (early to mid 1800s)
3rd - WWII
4th - Foreshadowed to be near peer and magic based

Also thanks for the chapter!

@GambierBay
They're probably closer to the French then English. But then there's a lot of overlap.

@TrapCard113
As a nation, they're not evil for evil's sake. It's a logical choice to rule by terror, and given that they're the seriously outclass every other nation in their sphere there's no downside. It's really the Japs fault for failing to impress their military superiority to the other nations. There existence in this world is outside believability, so it falls on them to prove they really are more advance than any other civ in the world. But then you wouldn't get the wars, so the story demands they don't.

Dex-chan lover
Isn't the gunboat diplomacy line in context of the japanese-like isekai people a reference to the americans trying to force japan to open up their foreign trade in the mid-1800s, Admiral Perry?

Dex-chan lover
Sometimes I wish they were using the LN art instead of this.

@captain_crunch gun boat diplomacy has been a thing long before the American visited Japan many colonial powers used it against the natives shooting canons at the beach to scare them before landing.

But I guess the Japan that’s their most well known use of gunboat diplomacy.

Group Leader
@AMetroid

Actually they are pretty evil. For the first thing, as they stated in an earlier chapter, as a superpower, they expect to have extraterritoriality. In other words, any of their citizens can commit any crime on foreign soil, without having to worry about the consequences or be persecuted by that nation's laws. That includes murder. And later on, the Parpaldian Empire
commits a crime so heinous, that it forces Japan to declare war for the first time since World War 2
The Parpaldian Empire has a problem with its expansionist attitude. They have an extremely huge military, which they use to conquer other lesser nations. However, they exploit every resource the nations have to maintain that army, so they have to keep on conquering other nations. It's a vicious cycle and the lack of any formidable enemies in their region has caused them to become arrogant, ignorant and reckless.

Dex-chan lover
They even name dropped gunboat diplomacy. How butthurt about Commodore Perry are they?

Dex-chan lover
Interesting; the enemy ships look a lot like European vessels when they first began traveling to and from eastern Asia. The friendly ships look a lot like what Japan would have had in that era and... oooh. I get it.

@captain_crunch
@greatninja3
You're both wrong, gunboat diplomacy is just the term for using naval power as a means to conduct diplomacy, it could mean anything from establishing trade routes between countries protected by military ships, to being used to threaten a nation into compliance with a superior navy. It's existed as far back as there exists historical records, to the peloponnesian wars with athens becoming the naval superpower in the region despite having little actual territory.

Dex-chan lover
I don't remember this part about the fenn ships being sunk in the web novel...

Group Leader
@optiso
Gunboat diplomacy is just a show of force at its core, specifically a show of naval force and has its origins toward foreign policy. Yes, it is true that there have been examples of this type of display in ancient history, but the term "gunboat diplomacy" did not begin until the 19th century of Imperialism, in which Europe and the United States would intimidate other, less powerful states into granting concessions through a demonstration of their superior military capabilities, usually depicted by their naval assets. After all, 'gunboats' did not appear until after the cannon was mounted on a ship, and that occurred WAY PAST the conflicts between Peloponnesia and Athens.
For the Japanese, of course, their experience with gunboat diplomacy began in 1853-1854 when Admiral Perry and his Black Fleet, forced Japan to end its isolationism and trade with the outside world.

Dex-chan lover
those tiny discovery age ships are about to get ara-ara'd by Myoukou-neesaan.

imagine if it's the ww2 heavy cruiser version. bet they would scared shitless just from the sheer size and weaponry on her deck

Dex-chan lover
@AnimeaddictionIV
You are falling pray to the same fallacious thinking as someone who thinks a medieval doctor is stupid because they know germ theory and the medieval doctor does not. Judging a character against a moral framework they do not live in makes no sense. If someone from PETA shows up while you're eating a hamburger and declares you to be an evil monster, would you agree? What if they then decided you should die for the part you played in that cows murder? Of course you would reject their declarations and judgment, because you don't exist within that moral frame.

Quick asides on morality/religion:
All morality comes from religion, with God as the ultimate arbiter of moral truth. Without religion there is no morality, only power dynamics.
If you got rid of all religions you would quickly see a new religion spring up from the group assuming the mantel of moral arbiters.
Only an amoral psychopath can exist without religion.

"Gunboat diplomacy is just a show of force at its core"
True, and there's nothing substantively different in the type of diplomacy by Imperial European powers and those in the past. The only difference was the disparity of technology. The Imperial Western powers weren't the first to do it, they were the last.

Group Leader
I don't know the full story but the original scanlation team never dropped the series, even before this latest chapter, there's always been some delay between releases. So don't snipe in the future...?

Group Leader
@AMetroid
Ever saw that original Star Trek episode, A Taste of Armageddon? That's when Captain Kirk and the Enterprise tried to establish diplomatic relations with a planet that was having a computerized war for over 500 years with its neighbor, and the Enterprise was declared a 'casualty' of that simulated war and the inhabitants tried to execute the entire crew. Naturally of course, Kirk and the Enterprise rejected that idiocy since they were not a participant of that war, and they fought for their own lives. Pretty much the same that happened here with Japanese Coast Guard having to defend itself against an attack and the JMSDF inadvertently having to now fight off a fleet of Parpaldian ships. Mind you, in all cases, the Empire fired first. And like I said in that spoiler, they're going to do something that was completely uncalled for and inexcusable.

Dex-chan lover
@AnimeaddictionIV
I've read the all the published WN chapters. I don't know what point you were trying to make in this last post (yes I've seen that ep), but you haven't stated what moral principal from the world they are living in that they are violating that would justify calling them evil. If Japan were a militarily inferior nation, as they have no reason to suspect otherwise, then quickly cowing them into surrender would be a reasonable strategy. Better to only kill the few tourists (100s) than have to raze whole cities (10,000s).

Dex-chan lover
@Nk9bjP4A it was in the LN I believe it the conversation was longer unlike in the manga and also I think their ships are farther away from each other.

Users who are viewing this thread