Damn grid looks kinda cool and not in your typical korean e-fuckboi mc kinda way

Dex-chan lover
Hello everyone, today's lesson is that if you want to be successful in life, you must earn a lot of money, buy an expensive car, wear expensive clothes, use hair gel, and have a fake girlfriend. Let's all aspire to by like that.

All korean manwha are like this, succeed and grow over the commonfolk who only aspire to leech from succesfull people... I can´t help but wonder, is the Korean Society really this messed up? is it really all over the fame and power? Don`t they have any other way to be happy than to trample on the ones beside them?

So sad if that`s the true tho, but well Grid made it thru hard work and a doing an impossible quest, the shitty life he had until recently also makes him ready to grow into a proper person in the future. This was a big step for him, i want to see where he ends up now as a person and a player.

@rass1111 I know what you mean. Ive never been to Korea and dont know to much about society there but one common thing i notice in these manwha is that almost all of them have a heavy focus on family and using your wealth for your family. So even though he went to the reunion to basically spit on everyone there which isnt why you should go to reunions, using his new wealth to help his family and himself out of horrible situations is noble and he has earned his right to gloat a lil. Just hope it doesnt go to his head....

Fed-Kun's army
This ending is bittersweet.

It sucks how much people's perceptions of others can change when someone they know succeeds or fails.

Despite that, it was good for MC. This was what he needed to put himself at rest, and focus on what he needs to do.

The Yura bit has my head spinning. I thought she went all in on the church as The 8th Apostle. Why is she thanking him for saving her?

@iamkiki Well it did allow her to advance her part of the quest. Just because they're on opposite factions doesn't mean they have to be at their necks IRL as well.

This specific scenario is one I see all over the place in Korean and Chinese manhua. Usually it gets on my nerves, but I don't really mind it here.
It always feels so petty. Especially when they're so desperate to make it sound like the MC is so above this that he doesn't care what anyone things of him.

Yeah, he doesn't care at all what anyone thinks of him, because they don't matter. He just happened to come to a gathering of old schoolmates/relatives who used to pick on him, and just happened to insult them every time he opens his mouth, and just happened to use the first chance he gets to throw around his wealth and connections to in a flashy display. These are clearly the actions of someone who doesn't care what people think of them. Of course, they'll also be sure to remind you every other sentence how little they care what people think, in case you forgot that they don't care.

But here? It works. It super works because Grid is a petty, vindictive, insecure, greedy piece of shit by design, and we love him for it. He's a lovable asshole, but he's still an asshole. It makes sense that he would pull some petty shit like this, and I think it's super refreshing to get a manhua MC with an actual personality. Admittedly, most of my manhua consumption is xianxia, so it's very possible that's unfairly painting my perception. It might also be hasty to lump Korean and Chinese media under one umbrella, but the trope similarities are hard to ignore.

This whole reunion was made to basically bully Grid. The main bully, the girl Ahyoung, and everyone else there all wanted an excuse to feel superior to him. You could say Grid could have just ignored the invitation and not gone, but they would have found another way to try to get at him. Remember, ignoring bullies doesn't work.

What Grid did was totally within his character, but I think even showed a lot of personal growth. The old Grid would have stuck around longer to gloat more. This new Grid said his piece and left.

Fed-Kun's army
Image 1 and 6 (maybe more) refuse to load. Same for anyone else?

Users who are viewing this thread