365 Days to the Wedding - Vol. 11 Ch. 109 - How Far Will Marriage Take You?

Dex-chan lover
This and yaiteru futari has been providing me with a healthy dose of salts.
Well darn thanks for the random recommendation.

I had been ignoring Yaiteru Futari cause I assumed it was gonna be the usual cooking manga that is just the artist reading a Japanese recipe book and copy pasting it to their text bubbles.

But damn me was I surprised to find that it had actual well written characters with heart and soul.

Dex-chan lover
It's been a long and circuitous journey, but it's been an enjoyable one. Just as it should be.

Here's a discussion question for the class. One of the main themes of this story has been how a healthy view of marriage isn't to treat it as a goal, but merely a stop on our journey through life. It's not the end goal, but a new beginning. Does ending the manga on their marriage undermine Wakaki's pimrary message? Should he show how they deal with the work of a married relationship in a sequel? Or has he given us enough to imagine their lives after this, and is that enough?

Dex-chan lover
It's been a long and circuitous journey, but it's been an enjoyable one. Just as it should be.

Here's a discussion question for the class. One of the main themes of this story has been how a healthy view of marriage isn't to treat it as a goal, but merely a stop on our journey through life. It's not the end goal, but a new beginning. Does ending the manga on their marriage undermine Wakaki's pimrary message? Should he show how they deal with the work of a married relationship in a sequel? Or has he given us enough to imagine their lives after this, and is that enough?

I don't think so. Because the story hasn't been about getting to the marriage, it's been about recognizing that it's a step along the path and that the characters have more adventures beyond this instead of simply crossing an imaginary finish line. Because the build that we've been working on isn't them actually getting married, it's been them figuring out that the relationship they have is what they want and they want to keep being together. This just happens to be the stop we get off at. Other stories treat the confession or (rarely) marriage as the end of the line. It's the point where the primary goal is achieved and usually the female lead is supposed to feel like she's achieved everything she can/wants (Traditionalist Japanese view being that a woman's greatest aspiration is to be a wife and mother and all that). This recognizes that Rika and Takuya have more to their lives than getting to the alter and that it's almost been an accident/happenstance of figuring out that their marriage of convenience led to them actually liking each other and while they're happy to officially marry (or have the ceremony since they already did the paperwork) there's a strong "and the adventure continues" vibe to all of it.

Elsewhere, I'm a little sad that her dad didn't bring his new daughter along. Would've been fun for her to find out that the nice map lady who helped her plan her train trip and stayed with her when she went adventuring on her own is actually her (half-)sister.

This and yaiteru futari has been providing me with a healthy dose of salts.

Was super excited to have a new recommendation to check out, then realized it's "How to Grill Your Love" which I already read and I hate how the site has defaulted to so many series being listed in transliterated Japanese instead of translated titles because I can't remember the Japanese names. lol

Dex-chan lover
It's great that they are able to get away with the simplicity of their wedding and such. Last time I checked, marriages can get very costly and with some people are in nowadays, they prefer to delay their marriage but it's not as bad like a few old people who were forced to go with the marriage by law and took them many years to be married and such.

Users who are viewing this thread