Rei was not well written. His concept is a fighter attached to a woman. The only outcome of note to this concept is Kure Hollis realizing that the holder of a legendary style is a fickle dumbass who gives up literally everything he worked for to be pampered by a hot chick. Since then, he received exactly zero character development in two fights. He was an assassin who fell in love with his target ? How is that news, anybody could tell that's what happened from his first appearance. He is a complete void of characterization that hinges on a one-time joke, and he wiped out possibly the most colorful character in the entire roster, and a badass who made getting injured and turning his skeleton into steel his combat style.

He is, without a doubt, a complete waste of a character slot, and I'm going to prove it. Picture his employer taking his place and stepping into the ring to use her alpha female powers against a fighter. Does that seem instantly 200% more interesting a battle than anything super fast boy can ever bring out?

Dex-chan lover
@Demomanowar
No not really. That kinda fight just feels weird tbh.
And if I'm being fair as a character Saw really isn't all that well written(his fighting style is cool tho)and his motivations are painfully generic. It was a cool one but other than that he was just a shounen protagonist trapped in a side character's role. Even as someone who desperately wanted Saw to win and liked him since day one there is nothing all that special about either Rei or him.

@Demomanowar
Mate, just because a character that you don't like has won does not mean he is poorly written. Rei is not nearly the most boring, poorly written, nor is he void of characterization. If love is a poor motive, then a lot of the other contestants in this tournament have even worse reasons. Which, obviously, is not true.
And just for the record, that idea about Rino was absolutely ridiculous. This manga steers often on the supernatural path, but that happening would outright outlandish, even for this series.
You would invalidate all of the choreography and techiques that the author came up with and replace them with Rino going in the ring and squaring against Saw?

Dex-chan lover
Well seems like we wont be seeing Saw Paing again, and instead we are stuck with horny assassin, this is a lost for us the readers

you know, the idea of a man falling for a vixen and giving up his harsh past is a common trope right? This manga is full of a shit ton of tropes. I guess I can appreciate simplicity done well.

Dex-chan lover
wanted saw to win but it is what it is i figured that let the ninja guy win..... meaning what he's gonna lose the next round most likely

Dex-chan lover
beard master : BOY . DID YOU KILL MY FRIEND ?

kratos , from god of war 2018 , is another beard master :

maxresdefault.jpg

Dex-chan lover
Hope Saw will show up more in Omega. I don't mind Mikazuchi as much as some of the other commenters but I'm a total sucker for hotblooded characters like Saw Paing and his dynamic with the other characters was really fun and interesting. In contrast, Mikazuchi only really interacts with his boss which is still good, just not as interesting to me personally.

Also Saw Paing was funny as hell.

SPOILERS FOR NEW READERS! AVOID READING MY COMMENT!

This is the only real problem I have with Saw's character and how he was written. I cannot for the life of me think of a single reason he didn't tell Gaolang what was going on. If anything, it might've given him a chance to make sure the Village of the Dawn didn't get destroyed (even though that didn't happen anyway) and we could've seen Gaolang and Saw team up again Long Min.

Users who are viewing this thread