@Frozeneye Well, in the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter Ishi no Kami no Maro (Ishigami's namesake character) is the only of the pretendents to actually find (or believe to have found) the treasure Kaguya have asked for (Tsubame). He is also the only one to die in his quest to bring it to her (falls to his death trying to reach it).

So yeah, maybe he is supposed to have a tragic or at least bittersweet ending.

the furries are indeed the worst

p.s I can't wait to see the drama of this triangle blow up. I hope this arc does not have an anti-climatic conclusion because that wouldn't do any justice to any of the characters (in my opinion)

Double-page supporter
Furries are an inferior race.

Anyways, after that stupid Ice Kaguya arc, I genuinely like this pairing / drama more than the main shit. Ishigami is a fantastic dude, and Iino is an interesting character. The Kaguya / Prez conflict was just plain stupid whereas this makes sense.

Dex-chan lover
@RaimundoBruno
Well that's a freaking sad namesake then. But I really can see it for him.
Maybe the author is gonna push through with this concept, which would be pretty consequent, and give Ishigami no happy ending during his school life, but make it clear that he matured through that phase and was able to become a sensible adult and have meaningful relationships in the future.

Would be a nice change of pace, compared to the ever present trope of meeting your fated other during school time.

Dex-chan lover
I'm honestly so confused about Osaragi. She's not actually drawn to be pretty because the author gave her glasses 100% lens flare.

Is the author just a meganekko-otaku who is projecting or are there some gorgeous eyes under there?

Aggregator gang
Iino might be the Manbagi of the series. Not sure if they'll have the same end, though.

Dex-chan lover
qz3ps6B.png

DCRJXFu.gif

Dex-chan lover
@Talismaster I don't know what an "incel" is, but having seen the heroine's purity being such a major theme in the vast majority of the manga I've read, I can7help but see that as another winning flag for Iino.

Dex-chan lover
@Lex79
Imma go on a tl;dr because this is a fun topic for me then. I’m not saying that this particular way of thinking is wrong, but for those that are literally unaware of it, shedding light on stuff is fun. You don’t have to read this.

The fact that you see “a heroine’s purity or chastity” as a “flag that she’s going to win” is unironically part of what most men (and to a horrific point, many otaku) want in a woman.

While women generally tend to fantasize about being their man’s last women and partner for life, it is often said that men tend to idealize the thought of being a woman’s first and only.

As for the Japanese otaku side of things, it should be relatively well known that they value purity on an extraordinarily high level. It is to the point where some people could find it laughable that they get disgusted that their 2D waifu would ever interact with a male character, especially in female-only cast slice of life shows. An example of this would be Lovelive fans getting mad at the Granblue Fantasy crossover collaboration to the point that Granblue Fantasy had to intentionally write the event without a single male character in-game appearing once.

On the horrific side of things, it leads to otaku mass slut-shaming their favorite idols or voice actors upon hearing they aren’t pure anymore. This can take form in destruction of their own merchandise/property, to outright stabbings. Because of this, the purity of fictional characters is so heavily protected. A cheap example I can think of off the top of my head is Sword Maiden vs Priestess from Goblin Slayer. I have seen no shortage of people, jokingly or not, claim they wouldn’t want a goblin’s used goods. A more obscure one might be idol anime crap like lovelive and idol masters. Weirder ones might be Hibike Euphorium or Love Lab, where people prefer the characters be lesbian lovers than pursue relationships with men.

Incels, or involuntary celibates, is a term that was warped into an insult towards people that are so undesirable, that they are literally single virgins and not necessarily by their own decisions. Incels, or Eugenes, or whatever you want to call them, tend to share those levels of extreme idealism and obsession with virginity in women. Incel is a term mostly used by normies, but not ones you’d ever want to associate with.

But yeah, to sum things up, using manga tropes to learn lessons is probably going to be as good as using romcom movies as dating advice. The tropes are common in fiction, but realistically terrible. I really like that the author himself has no intention of stopping Kaguya and Shirogane’s story right after confessing, like how so many stories end right after the main characters start going out, sometimes without a kiss, or even holding hands, showing no effort to go to the next level and actually displaying their lovey dovey life as couples.

Aka’s a kind of person to subvert expectations— to me, him claiming Tsubame once had an ex was a bold move. I can see a lot of people that use Ishigami as a relatable character having a harsh dissonance with going after a person that might not be as chaste as they are.

@codetaku
The Osaragi thing confused me too. Everything about her so far said to me that she was the nerdy background type that turned out to have more to her. Identifying her as the clearly standout pretty one (especially considering Onodera is the one saying it and does fit that archetype herself) is so odd.

@Talismaster
I'm kind of shocked to see such a reasonable and thoughtful comment on here. Usually it's just people being mad at Ice Kaguya or Iino because they don't understand human interaction.
While I agree with what you're saying, I think Hibike is a bad example. I wanted them to go the yuri route in that - but only because there'd been so much yuri-baiting that all the tension and chemistry was between some of the girls, so it felt forced to then push her off to the standard guy where there'd been no real interaction. The idol world is a much better example for the insane purity crap.

Dex-chan lover
@Talismaster that was an interesting read. While I was well aware that purity is such a valuable thing for otakus I didn't know that they are going that far.
It goes without saying that I personally don't share such extreme views, but when I'm analyzing manga of course I'm going to apply manga tropes and logic.

Dex-chan lover
@kusobaba
It’s hard to tell. Onodera’s mostly shown to be a good person, so maybe she’s pushing Miko into spoiling herself, not knowing that might be a bad thing.

Personally, I’m hoping she really is interested in Ishigami, and has been waiting for his inevitable confession to Tsubame to fail before catching him on the rebound. If this is the case, it would mean she’s intentionally pushing Miko towards failure. It’s more interesting this way. The big brain romance geniuses are out of the picture and I’ve wanted more Onodera in the spotlight as well.

EDIT: I think I get it. Osaragi’s just a nerd that inherently is beautiful. She probably wears coke bottle glasses and her hair in plain hairstyles to downplay her looks and avoid attention.

Watching Iino making such brisk progress with Ishigami these past few chapters makes me feel like I'm reading the ending chapters of Nisekoi all over again.

Users who are viewing this thread