Double-page supporter
@demomanowar I remember thinking "all he needs to be likeable is a win." Completely wrong, apparently character development is a little bit more complex than "weak bad."

@Chinpo I think Koga's going to be the ultimate badass by the end of this. Ohma's development formula was :
Badass at the start, secret techniques he just needs to remember/commit to really using well. Comes accross as a bit of a Gary Stu, but he eats so much shit during the course of the story you no longer see him as a miracle boy, plus he was a bro to Kazzy the entire time.

Meanwhile, Koga's theme is eating shit from every angle from the outset, but having potential, some Yamashita-vision skill going on, the courage to learn, soldier through every hardship, and the support of many Kengan fighters. This dude is going to have every strong suit of every fighter in the Kengan Association by the end, and it won't feel forced because he started out humble. I almost want to say he's tailor made to be the last man standing after the entire association gets annihilated, but I know better than to think Sandrovich is a predictable writer.
Not to mention I have no idea how the Worm wildcard is going to turn out. Even in the short term, the murder subplot is a head-scratcher.

But it's all great stuff, no room for doubt there.

Group Leader
Psst, Ryuki is secretly a total bro.

In case you didn't notice, he ain't letting that Shitfang slide after hitting his homeboy Koga.

Fed-Kun's army
Fucking Joji lmao. Now I'm really hoping that at some point in this manga, Koga just bites his opponent while trapped in a scary hold.

Banned
I love how Idemitsu calmly step between the two. Like i know we have been shown that his strike is top-tier but i like the fact that he break the fight immediately. Showing how much authority and confidence he have in himself. Boy i am secretly rooting for Idemitsu

I love how Sandrovich and Daromeon manage to make a character so detestable with just looks!

Dex-chan lover
@Demomanowar
@Chinpo

I think what makes Koga work so well is that despite being its new Protagonist the universe doesn't SUDDENLY revolve around him nor his bag of tricks. Kinda like how Kengan Asura didn't revolve around Ohma. Even after the Asura's death "life goes on."

Koga is talented sure, but he isn't so gifted he could be considered for the Kengan Annilation Tournament based on his Chapter one stats. Something tells me his time to shine will come AFTER this 11 Vs. 11 face off comes to an end. Facing off against the Worms as Koga "The All Rounder"!

@0takuDragonSlayer

The thing is, Koga's not just shitting all over his returning-stars trainers with secret talents, he just passes their basic challenges surprisingly well. That makes all the difference right there. No one likes legacy characters being steamrolled by the new shithead kid, and it's not what's happening here. It's the balance between potential and still being an outsider, where plenty of manga would just have the protagonist wipe the floor with their mentors. With Koga, the Asura characters are still the centerfold, absolutely at the top of their game and training a rookie, nodding at how he's a pretty damn good student, because it's satisfying to them to see someone learn their craft without talking shit. That's why José was so angry at dickhead Fang. He clearly sees Koga as a talented lil' bro he wants to support with all his heart.

So yeah, pretty sure the theme here is "Legacy characters are as badass as ever, and are undoubtedly the in the main action, but Koga slowly inherits their skills so he can save the day by the end". Just imagine.
Suikechi teaching him how to improve his perception, and Chiba Takayuki, how to use it to switch fighting styles on the fly.
Yoshinari teaching him to switch to different kinds of gravity and balance.
Muteba teaching him to wear a crisp suit, and also use his body as a weapon, maybe.
Gaolang teaching him how to control the flow of battle
AG teaching him to adapt and learn in the heat of battle
Hatsumi, how to chill the fuck out and dodge like a pro until the opportunity for the killing strike

Many of the fighters' special skills are physically inclined, like Wakatsuki, Kure Rian, Bando Yohei, Saw Paing, The Beard and others, so they can't realistically "teach" what can't be taught, so Koga can't end up a litteral superhuman, but there's a legendary final battle chock full of twists against an incredibly overpowered and incredibly unlikeable enemy waiting to happen.

Dex-chan lover
Forgive me master, I'll have to go all out just this once.

Dex-chan lover
Toyoda's still kind of a dingus, but I appreciate his straightforwardness. I assume the whole Kengan Association vs. Purgatory thing won't be the central focus of this series (especially given how the last one ended), so I hope he'll stick around in some capacity once it's all over.

You know, because of this "better condition, no killing" thingy in Purg, I think that if Beardy joins the fight, he will lose on purpose.
He might feel guilty about killing Ohma, and thinking that sport fighting is a better option for young people and sabotaged his fight so Kengan will join Purg and adapt their rule.
That's what I think anyway... If Beardy still the same as before though, he'd still fight with all his might whatever the situation to honor his opponent.

Dex-chan lover
The more I look at the sixth's face, the more I feel like it's a direct reference to someone with that giant grin. But he still looks wholly like a manga character.

Users who are viewing this thread