Okay i was pretty late to the party, saw 319 comments and immediately start guessing in my head while turning through the pages who is going to rescue Kazzy, didn't expect it to be my Lord and Savior Ohma though, that was pretty wild.

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

If this was set up via the request from Niko to the beard it would be awesome and make Kengan Ashua but the introduction to this world.

I like this!

Dex-chan lover
After reading through the amusing contrast of opinion I actually became curious of my own opinion of Ohma's death.

Turns out I didn't have one lol. Explains why I don't feel much beyond the ordinary excitement of a Kengan 11th hour save.

Arc

Holy shit I thought it was some fan art extra at the end of the chapter or something at first

@Hoffe

"Now that I think about it no one ever saw Ohma die. Yamashita just found his body at the end, or maybe what he thought was Ohma’s body."

Yeah that's what I was thinking this whole time, I wasn't sure if he died or not. It was like sorta implied but not even clear. I thought he "disappeared" rather than died.

Fed-Kun's army
I think @Midoriha and @0takuDragonSlayer have said it best:

I bet you anything that over half of the people going "WOOOOOOOOOOOAH OHMA IS ALIVE SO HYPE" were the same people going "WOOOOOOOOOOOAH THE MC ACTUALLY DIED FROM THE TECHNIQUE THAT EATS AWAY HIS LIFESPAN SUCH GOOD WRITING".
No matter the explanation it comes with, this is genuine hack writing that completely undermines and trashes the whole point and message of Ashura.
The guy literally drops dead in front of Kazu. Its not even surprising that the writer brought him back (since this is a shounen)but frustrating he can't just focus o. one MC and let consequences stick. This essentially means all of that drama about him risking his life during the tournament was basically meaningless. All the risks of Advance now stand as false tension that ended up being reversed with ease.
<...>
Why should we care about any Stakes that are placed moving forward if all risk can easily be reversed right after? That's the main problem this situation ends up presenting. As badass as it is on the surface it just defeats the purpose of all that negative foreshadowing during the tournament. What does the story and its characters actually gain from bringing back a character that should have died?

People who are delving into how a possible revival may have been foreshadowed or made possible by following the perversities of in-universe logic continually miss the obvious point: for all narrative purposes, Ohma was better off dead than alive.

So that he wouldn't steal attention from the new leads, especially Koga who is a far more interesting and better-written character.
So that we wouldn't have dramatic tension reduced by a known precedent of consequence reversal.
So that the cheat-level Niko style wouldn't pollute and lopside the otherwise reasonable state of semi-fictionalized martial arts in the story.

I think people generally underappreciate how destructive a character like Ohma can be to an otherwise relatively coherent narrative and how the only reason it was forgivable (and, indeed, worked at all) in Ashura was because he died at the end, thereby demonstrating the consequence for using a cheat-level technique. Cloning is one thing, but Ohma here evidently had his personality and at least some of the memories intact, clearly indicating that he was revived rather than cloned. So even if you "nerf" him post-revival, the fact that he was revived at all still essentially indicates that it's not necessarily a one-off thing and either Ohma himself or any sufficiently powerful character—friend or foe—may potentially be revived again in the future if plot demands so. Much like time travel, it's an incredibly powerful plot device that leads to a narrative slippery slope in which reviving a dead character becomes the most obvious solution to most problems encountered by factions as the plot unravels. So instead of coming up with ways to solve them without revival even as a theoretical option, the author will either have to come up with explanations why it isn't feasible in every particular case—or leave the series with an enormous, glaring plot hole that will drag it down until its publication ends one way or another. Which is why it becomes all the more puzzling that he even attempted something as obviously problematic as this.

Group Leader
It's fine for Ohma to be alive. My guess for the future is that Ohma will train Ryuki in how to morph his Gaoh style into something more like the Niko style. I don't think Ohma will fight very much, and I sincerely hope he doesn't. His character arc in Kengan Asura was fully developed, with no real room for further growth. That's why I hope Ohma will effectively become the Niko of this story and train Ryuki to become a full human being, just like what Ohma had to go through (except, of course, different because the circumstances of those two characters are different)

Group Leader
Dunno how to feel about the fact that he's still alive but like..... idk..... still willing to see where this goes haha

Sick reveal tho, I legit wasn't expecting him to show up.

I see it now. This Mangaka loves to give "SURPRISE, MOTHERFUCKER!!!" moments, create controversies among the fanbase and get them all riled up. Whenever he does this you can see the fanbase split in 2 clear sides. Think about it this is NOT the first time he does this.

1- Made Kiryu seem like the archenemy that will face the protagonist at the final. Steamrolled by the Beard

2- Made Fang seems like the overpowered final Boss. Defeated by the Beard, CLEAN, again.

3- Made Muteba seems like a relentless predator. Dude straight up forgeited his match when he feels its nOt worth it.

4- made the Beard seem like nothing special. Proceeded to steamroll through the tournament.

5- Made Ohma looks like hes gonna be alright. Then he drop dead. ( this is likely not true anymore)

But you gotta admit everytime he does this he always managed to turn them into actual good writing. I would give him a chance to do that again. It's just too early to jude this as bad writing when all we got for now are 2 pages.

@Pepsioverdose , to be fair:

4. Kuroki was seen as the biggest obstacle in his block since the very beginning.
5. Ohma was being seen going from perfectly fine to coughing up lots of blood or down to his kness in a few seconds a few times outside combats since after the first round of the tournament, and hanging by a thread all the time. He was told several times he would die if he continued, so it is even less of a surprise, even more as he escaped from the hospital to have a last view of the world ...

But yeah, almost every combat are filled with plot twists and surprise counterattacks.

Me before reading: "Why are there 300+ comments on this chapter?"
Me after reading: "Holy FUUUUCCCCKKKKK YES"

Users who are viewing this thread