Dex-chan lover
Yeah just show the random couple a box of dismembered body parts right out of the gate? Great marketing.

@Greyvenn
> Argentine is confused.
> Argentine threw away 300353614704792 gold.

Pardon the essay, but

In this chapter and the last, many commented on the duke's gross spending.
However, remember this is a Korean webtoon for a Korean audience. The use of "millions" (in gold) is probably a reflection of Korean won, which is different to the dollar system:

1000 won = less than $1 USD
100,000 won = less than $100 USD
1,000,000 won = less than $1000 USD

So, "25 million" is appropriately adjusted to about 20 thousand dollars, and "100 million" to about 80 thousand or so.

Not nearly as stupendous-sounding as "100 million"... Nevertheless, it's an exorbitant amount to bid on pawned jewellery, for sure.

I am aware this is a fantasy with the currency being "gold" and it may not be equivalent to k-won, but it's still more plausible than it being equivalent to USD.

This bidding scene makes me a lil uncomfortable, too. But it's an indulgent fantasy romance, so whatever I guess.

I feel like my enjoyment is slowly dwindling. Esp with this whole illegal auction thing. Who knows where the auction ppl got these things?

Isn't this auctioneer a little too careless? He's literally just been told to be cautious, and he goes for a customer who's only been there one night?
Winning all items is very suspicious. Just feel a little disappointed he'd be so... dumb. And so many eyes, sigh... T_T

I know it's not real but.. the thoughtless spending of money that was intended to make the audience fawn over how much he cares about his wife to spend that much money is just disappointing and makes the character feel flat.. idk this whole manhwa is a bit cookie cutter but this part just made me feel ahdjshsj

Contributor
@dawned: Yeah, I have mixed feelings about this particular aspect of the series.

Though I didn't feel this was all cookie-cutter : It feels like a lot of the time the series has got it's head on remarkably straight: About him treating her like a human being, about many of the villains (though not her father nor this auctioneer) being slightly sympathetic characters where you can see some of what went wrong their lives, about having a self-actualizing protagonist who has hardly but once needed to be "suddenly rescued" by the Duke, etc...

But everything specifically about this guy's way of showing affection with gifts is just abhorrent. The jewelry the hotel the earrings and now this. I assume it's what the author likes (or thinks the audience likes). But it just comes off as gaudy and irresponsible and selfish and—like I said last chapter—where is this money coming from anyway (like, taxes...?) and does the Duke really think this is a good use of it?

I've had other series in this genre too where I've liked everything except the irresponsible lavish gift-giving. It seems to be a common failure. :/

@pokari I agree! But during quarantine all I've done was read isekai manhwas and they're starting to blur together haha

Users who are viewing this thread