Dex-chan lover
@Mangareader
I mean, just like how Gaolang did not give up Muay Thai for boxing but integrated them together into a single style, Carlos is probably doing the same? His advantage being his quicker movements make him harder to hit. The reason Gaolang hit Carlos was because he got used to Carlos’ movements and predicted the latter’s actions. A quick Wikipedia check tells me capoeira is meant to be unpredictable and versatile, so I’m guessing that’s meant to cover for that flaw. At any rate, he’ll probably mix up punches and kicks just like Gaolang.

@BrightSideoLife
Oh, that makes sense. Doesn’t feel uncharacteristically boastful for this series anymore.

Also, heck. Alan Wu. This entire time, I thought it was Edward Wu in disguise, but nah. Just a member of the clan, then.

All flags are against Carlos in this chapter, while last chapter's was flags for Gaolang. Man I love the unpredictability

Capoeira? Eddy Gordo's Master?? Tiger King's actual identity??? Shouout to Dudley and Elena from Street Fighter III in one character ?!! Okay, that's all. Good chapter.

Dex-chan lover
Well, the moral of the story is that you can't reasonably out punch Gaolang. The Fang discovered that and so did Medel.

In any case, the faces Gaolang makes when he's being punched/kicked are hilarious. Other fighters tend to grit through the pain when blocking, but his face is just AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. I thought that against the Fang he was like that because he was desperate and knew the Fang's reputation for finishing off his opponents, but it really just seems to be how he reacts to pain in general. And you know, I'm definitely not saying his reaction is unreasonable when considering the blows he's taking. I just feel he's portrayed a bit more dramatically than his peers.

Carlos with his capoeira was fcking nuts but still rooting Gaolang cause he still have his muay thai.

Dex-chan lover
"I bet you're wondering why you didn't sense my kick"

No shit sherlock, It's because i thought we were BOXING.

Dex-chan lover
I like that Gaolang’s specialty is respected here and Carlos isn’t simply a “better” version of him. Gaolang is still an incredible striker, and while Carlos is skilled, competing purely on boxing, Gaolang is more technically skilled while Carlos’ advantage comes from his lighter build allowing faster movement. Who knows how it’d go if they were both in the same weight class, but at least that’s how things are now.

I guess the real difference in their fighting philosophies here is that Gaolang took up boxing so that he could be an even more effective striker while Carlos seems to have taken up capoeira to make up for his lighter punches and to double down on his dodging ability.

Users who are viewing this thread