A Capable Maid - Ch. 43

I’m actually at the point where I kinda despise Rachel and think the other girl is kinda adorable but pretty spoiled and immature. I mean, did you see that pout....cute.

Honestly this whole time without Marie, Rachel was actually just as useless as the other girl. They say she’s cunning and manipulative but it doesn’t really seem like she can do anything outstanding on her own.

Dhabiha (Zabiha) can only be performed by a member of the Abrahamic faiths. So his complaints that the pagans didn't perform it is actually ridiculous (also that he didn't see the slaughter, so how does he now?)

But whatever

Fed-Kun's army
Won't it be funny when, after all of Rachel's scheming, the prince picks Marie because she was the one who actually solved all the problems?

@FlatEarth

They mentioned in the chapter that it was visual? I don't know how accurate that is though. The prince is both arrogant and an idiot though. I wonder why he was given such an important job when he's obviously lacking.

Dex-chan lover
In my personal opinion, Eastern Holy Empire sounds better than Halidom. The former sounds like the Holy Roman Empire, which kind of sort of makes sense here? It's unclear how realistic this is all supposed to be.

And you know what I realized? The emperor is in a coma? How? How the hell is he still alive when they don't SEEM to have the medical equipment necessary to keep a comatose patient alive for months/years?

@Rekka Agreed on cringe. My reason is because it kind of looks cartoonish. Setup. Arial screws up. Major problem. Solution. Marie comes in to save the day. The religious issues just look cartoonishly done.

Watch as the Prince asks Rachel once again, "Did you really do this?" and watch as Rachel once again thinks the Prince is a dumbfuck who can be fooled so easily. Seriously, he's making it super obvious he doesn't believe a word of your shit and the second he starts taking you seriously he'll have you cook some cookies while he watches and then you'll crash and burn so hard.

Having the good sense to know who to rely on and how to best draw out their talents is an excellent skill for a Queen, aside from Marie (due to her magic dreams) no one can be good at everything, downplay your skills, say that you were involved but it's thanks to the help of your great servants that you were able to accomplish things. Even spread the praise so that instead of heaping it all on Marie you spread it out among your servants, maybe even spinning a tail of how you met them or noticed their talents, use it to reward your servants by getting them prestige, make yourself look like a charitable person who knows how to bring out someone's good talents, trap your servants in a position where they can't betray you (by selling you out to the competition) without exposing themselves, and if the Prince finds out that you're full of shit you can play the victim card that it was your servants who were taking advantage of Marie and not you. Going about things the way they have so far makes it so that the second Marie blabs or needs to go on an errand for the Prince, something that you know could happen given how close she is with him, then you're up shit creek and need to explain why you fucking lied to the Prince, showing that you're nothing but a snake without anything to show for her own skills. We're not talking about rocket science here, just give yourself some level of deniability.

Double-page supporter
okay like... the derisive comment about how these arab- and mulsim-coded people value religion over life... as well as how uppity they're acting in regards to the envoys' reaction... just this whole chapter in general

1) they've no right to deride a HALIDOM over how much they treasure their RELIGION????? IT'S KINDA IN THE NAME???
2) the author is being gross and stereotyping by portraying a VERY VALID AND UNDERSTANDABLE protest in reaction to a defilement of a group of people's beliefs as something that's unreasonable and uncalled 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄 (edit: someone below posted that only a person of Abrahamic faith can perform the ritual, so the envoy's complaint doesn't actually make sense. though i can't help but wonder if this was done on purpose or if the author simply did not do enough deep research on the topic)
3) calling their traditions """annoying""" as if it wasn't the host empire's fault for not doing some proper fucking research and leaving it to a lady who isn't putting genuine (read: without ulterior motives) effort into hosting. i'm not and have never been an envoy or delegate, but i'm pretty sure this is like basic international delegation 101???????????????
4) there is zero cultural sensitivity in how the envoys are being portrayed. the prince is shown to be arrogant and unreasonable (though I don't think he's being unreasonable at all) and their traditions are depicted as being overly inane and difficult to handle
5) that sense of superiority of the white-coded and light-skinned people's culture over the brown-skinned people's culture, gross

tl;dr a BIG booooooo to this chapter. this was nasty. this comic has been pretty entertaining so far but this blatantly stereotyped and insensitive portrayal leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Dex-chan lover
Yeah it’s become very obvious that neither of the queen candidates can handle stress AT ALL. They have full panic attacks at the slightest thing. Heck Rachel was actually hoping the other one would screw up a hugely important diplomatic assignment

Also, gotta say screw the foreign prince. He’s apparently the first of his religion to visit them in centuries and he expects them to know everything about his religion? Shouldn’t one of his servants have informed the chefs when he arrived? I guess they could’ve asked him, but he took it as a personal insult that they didn’t know about a religion that nobody in the kingdom practices

Dex-chan lover
@kami_chan Marie has already been stabbed. Everytime Rachel takes credit for her work.

Honestly, both these girls are problems. Rachel is smart and cunning, but whatever true merits she has are unknown because she acts as though Marie's work is her own. Arial had potential, but her personality is childish and immature and her acts of sabotage overshadows her strengths.

How many times are we gonna see this ‘Rachel takes credit for Marie’s ideas’ go on? I hope the plot finally moves forward after this incident, cuz I’m over it lol

I mean I know the reason why those two girls are using each other, but I still hate that Rachel named all Marie's ideas as her own. Does she thinks when she finally marry the CP (then Marie'll eventually leave anyway) she would still be so freaking "smart" or even useful for the country?

Rachel: I have a solution for the problem
Me: You mean Marie has a solution for the problem

Also, Envoy guy is way too handsome. Is he going to be the third male lead?

Dex-chan lover
I am gonna laugh if the lady claims this as her own idea yet again. Rofl, she's just digging her own grave at this point.
Also this Kasan got them bedroom eyes
Thanks for the update!

I get that they wanted to test the princess candidates' capability by having them host the delegates, but is it worth the risk that could hurt the ties between kingdoms? (as evident by ariel messing up) the prince already kinda knows the ariel isn't exactly examplary and that rachel's pretty much piggy backing in marie's hardwork.

Also the delegates are literally from a holy kingdom lol, of course they value religion over their own lives. I'm sure kasan was angry not just because of being served meat, since technically it wouldn't be just the method of slaughtering, it would be because of being served meat generally since it needs to also be slaugthered by someone of their religion. (Or maybe the author doesn't know this) He was probably mad they had a host that didn't research enough into their culture.

He handsome tho I'll say that

Users who are viewing this thread