A Story About a Hallucinatory Girl - Ch. 9

Dex-chan lover
Gotta be honest, I enjoyed it. I get that knowing someone with delusions caused by mental illness isn't that common, but I'm surprised that people feel so strongly that this twist is totally unreasonable. Like, obviously it's fiction so it's depicting a very extreme version of the situation, but some delusions really are extraordinarily strong. The experience of talking with someone who has a strong delusion will very quickly rid you of the idea that "obvious" factual inconsistencies are enough to get them to break free of the world they've constructed in their head--if you can even get them to confront the inconsistencies directly.

Right!! I know someone dealing with schizophrenia who has been medicated for years, and even with medication they talk about how sometimes they just can't get over the belief that their auditory hallucinations are real. They understand intellectually that the delusion is not real, they're not acting on them anymore, but even with the aid of medication the emotional belief that the hallucination is real has not faded.
I don't understand the compulsion to compare this to mental illness. She has brain damage. Her mental faculties are otherwise intact. She's not schizophrenic, she just fails the mirror test. The story itself is telling us that she's catching reflections every time she sees "the girl". The girl isn't just appearing out of nowhere, she actually exists. The only issue is that physical injury to the brain has FMC drawing the wrong conclusion about what she's seeing.

The reader can forgive a little inconsistency here and there for the sake of the story, but asking us to believe that there are reflections in absurd places like right in the middle of the street, at night, is ridiculous. If the author wants us to believe that this is an actual, full-on hallucination, then he should have avoided giving us the whole "reflection" excuse in the first place.

Last edited:
Group Leader
tumblr_oo1ghb2Wel1r3741jo7_1280.png

Supporter
Okay, well that's dumb. As we can see from every page of the manga, there were lots of angles where there couldn't be any way to see reflections off of. What a stretch.

Dex-chan lover
Didn't expect that. Pretty clever and poetic story imo.

Dex-chan lover
I think I can come up with some explanations for parts of this. The very first part is that it seems that the doctor noticed the mirror thing after the new accident which is where the hallucinations end I think. The reason for the attraction could have been their subconscious reaching out to their true self through the odd disassociation with themself. Oh shit, I just noticed that the title had the answer all along!

Dex-chan lover
This is Tumblr level of bullshit story telling. Surprising it came from a Japanese though. I thought Tumblr level bullshit of story telling was predominantly restricted to American teen retards with American education.

Here I was thinking that "his" friends were the hallucinations instead of the girl. What an unexpected twist...

This last chapter felt like some kind of summary of an ending rather than a real one, like something I'd read on Wikipedia—a synopsis of a book or movie. Maybe that's why it felt horrible to read.

Dex-chan lover
Fair enough?
Edit: Now that I think about it, I wonder if the peaceful but weird ending was because everyone correctly predicted a dark ending and it was changed (then again Hamita narratives aren't always cohesive)

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Fair enough?
Edit: Now that I think about it, I wonder if the peaceful but weird ending was because everyone correctly predicted a dark ending and it was changed (then again Hamita narratives aren't always cohesive)
Can you really call getting run over by a car a "peaceful ending"? The payoff didn't even make sense, to boot.

Users who are viewing this thread