A Tan Childhood Friend with Absolutely No NTR! - Ch. 18

Dex-chan lover
Thank you for the translation! So far, I don't have any qualms with the AI upscaling. Keep up the good work!

Group Leader
When you said it, I returned to the pages and yeah, you did it too much. "Medium/n1" is usually fine

Dex-chan lover
Cute chapter...

I don't mind the upscaling, but it doesn't look very good.

Dex-chan lover
Upscaling AI is only really noticeable with plain linework over pure white (like with the boy on the last page) - there's an odd sharpness to it that doesn't look natural.

That said, is it any worse than having a page that's too small or full of artifacts? So go for it if you think it looks better.

Dex-chan lover
Well, a man's hand will grow bigger than a woman's. I like that they've held hands enough to tell the difference. Natsu even started the conversation, so you know she's coming for Yuu!

Contributor
Handholding. That is all. :thumbsup:

Re: AI Upscaling - It feels like a weird blur filter has been applied to certain spots and on some lines. Then again I'm reading manga from a 1080p monitor screen with Contain-to-width Image Sizing instead of from a phone so the weird blurriness is probably more visible like this. If I switch to Fit Height with smaller page sizes it's not as visible and looks comparable to the raws. I prefer reading manga at Fit Width, though.

Dex-chan lover
I'm genuinely wondering whether this is meant to challenge us. Sort of like how "No Nut November" was meant to demonstrate to the people just how far we've fallen and how warped their perception of the world has become.

Although the title does not give credibility (just ordinary baiting, seemingly), if this never does turn evil, then it will make us look back and say "Wow, all these otherwise innocent parts of the story made our minds drift to the most sinister of places, even if it was because we hate it."

Group Leader
Anyone saying that the AI upscale looks bad didn't even bother to check the official raw pictures to compare side by side, I did that and I'd say the AI upscaling here made the lines look sharper and less artifacting which looked good!

Aggregator gang
Honestly, kind of would rather the original image. Saw the original on Twitter, it looks soft and not the best quality, but I feel like sharpening it with AI makes it worse, like it's too sharp and clean.

Double-page supporter
Original feels a bit safer, although it is admittedly a bit small. The difference isn't huge to me, but I would be a bit concerned about the artist's intent in this case. Since the artist seems to be appreciating that this is getting translated, I'd say it'd be best to go with whatever their preference is in this case.

Dex-chan lover
I say don't bother with the AI upscaling unless you manage to find a setting that makes it actually look good. The blurry blobs (usual side effect of a bad AI upscale) stand out a lot.
Anyone saying that the AI upscale looks bad didn't even bother to check the official raw pictures to compare side by side, I did that and I'd say the AI upscaling here made the lines look sharper and less artifacting which looked good!
Sorry no. The upscaling is not even consistent which makes the bad spots stand out even more. Take a look at the girl on pg.2. Her right side (your left) and the bag are decently upscaled and look sharp but everything else looks blurry as hell. Hell, even her face. Sharp outline while her face itself looks like she's in a paranormal photo.

The original is not that low res, sticking to it is better.

Dex-chan lover
What if the upscaling caused his hands to grow overly large compared to hers? WHAT THEN, TL‽ 😭

Users who are viewing this thread