A Villainess No More - Ch. 23

Double-page supporter
@blazing_boz Though I agree that the whole "Nobility is good" is shitty, it's better than "money determine ranks". At least, most nobility had education on how to govern. If it's the wealthy (outside of nobility) who rise to power, very often personal gains will go before everything else.

(No seriously, during Middle-age, the nobility system wasn't that bad. The peasants worked on the field and the Lord protected from enemies lord and bandits. It was pretty symbiotic (though the lord side was still better at the end). It's after Middle-age that things went South. And about the wealthy, the French made a Revolution against the Nobles but then the rich merchants rose to power and it was even worst. It needed a few Revolutions before Democracy was put into place)

@Ovnidemon

The amount of wealthy a person of nobility has is part of their status those. They earn own the land, that they tax that fuels their education.
People buying their rank, also brought their education the same way nobles did. They just don’t have the added benefit of historical being in power, and having a longstanding governing role.

Also your statement on saying nobility wasn’t that bad is false- As the institution of serfdom which was a form of slavery existed and plenty of people were treated as subhuman. Their were also times where the Lords of the lands would in raged the peasants so bad that they would go into their house and kill them.

Many, bandits and mercenaries were not that loyal and would change sides for the highest bidder. They even made more money then knights which eventual led knights to abandon their own post for said benefits. The lack of loyalty is what made rulers outlaw mercenaries in the first place. The issue of the French revolution and others are a long standing issue that already existed because of the vast inequality that i mentioned before., it was just exacerbated by the bourgeoisie but they did not create it.

Double-page supporter
@blazing_boz For buying ranks: for a long time, only minor rank like baron could be bought. Rank above that weren't buyable, even if the nobles where high in debts.

For mercenaries: they didn't have loyalties but they didn't change sides in the middle of a battle and generally stayed on the same side for as long as the war lasted. Their reputation was quite important, so backstabber weren't hired.

Just so you know: in the middle of the Middle-age, merchants were often richer than the lords (it caused a lot of problems because of that)

Serfdom wasn't freedom but it wasn't that bad: serfs had rights and were free to marry who they wanted. Lords killing peasants for no reason rarely happened. Sure they were bad lords, but not a lot of them.

BTW, witch hunting rarely happened in Middle-Ages. Like for the nobilities going south, it was just after Middle-Ages that it happened a lot.

@Ovnidemon
Rank doesn't negate my point, the ideology of a person have a role in politics and government for nobles or for nobles that brought is what created inequality. On top of the fact that only a select few people that controlled a mass of the wealth. This is on top of the extreme prejudice and social hierarchy that framed many European cultures for centuries, even if they were in varying degrees.

For mercenaries, changing side in the middle of battle wasn't the problem. It was the information they gained from having knowledge of both sides and being aware of varies parties weakness. Unlike the modern day access to information wasn't that easy. Simply lying,changing your name or moving to a different territory for mercenaries was easy, and it did happen often.

Serfdom was the model of modern day slavery, you are extremely racist if you think a class of people that were considered subhuman and close to animals then people "weren't treated that badly". They couldn't only marry people that were also in the serf class. Serf were also tired to the land and couldn't not lead and their treatment and even abuse or beatings were up to the lord of the land. They could also be beaten or simply killed if they tried to run away from a territory. Serf & Peasants also found themselves being killed e mass to create architecture for the nobility or royalty like for the Palace of Versailles.
The entire legal system for anyone who wasn't a noble was horrible and people would often be tortured to get a confession, pretending like the legal abuse of people who were considered less human repugnant and deplorable things to say.

I didn't even mention witch hunting, this is irrelevant.

Dex-chan lover
I glad in new place MC get many allies. Also I want to see MC family(lol) who doesn't deserve to have her as family is suffering.

Double-page supporter
I can't stand this pro-aristocracy propaganda at all.
Aristocracy start with the bias that moralty is shared by the bloodline. This is idiotic. We are the best becouse we are born from the best.

The country that abolished the aristocracy did an incomplete job. While I have my doubt that in reality a switch form birthright to wealth will actually cause this kind of widening of the rich/poor divide, let take it for granted (we don't have reason to doubt MC words for this). First check Robinia: Charity events may be an example of noble's duty, but if you are relying these events to alleviate the suffering of the poors, then you are doing something wrong, becouse you aren't doing anything to fix the systematic issues that allowed that situation to arise. Also ther eis the fact that Noblesse Oblige isn't enforceable and in reality it will be actually followed by a extreme minority.

Power corrupt, absoulte power corrupt absolutely.

Users who are viewing this thread