add protection from bots to prevent stealing chapters or comics

• yes

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • no

Votes: 30 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Group Leader
😌many website use manga downloader and they steal works maybe we can add delayed download button if you don't want to implement this maybe make people to come on mangadex

methods you think will not work. even multi billion dollar companies cant block downloads, what do you think a under 50k/year website can do?

Dex-chan lover
Can't find the threads now but I remember seeing 2 other threads about this same topic, which includes scrambling up the images or something. And mods replied that it causes more trouble for legit users than bots.

Also imo as long as you release online, even behind layers of passwords and protections, like exclusive and restricted livejournal or discord, people/bots will still find ways to download and distribute it to other trillions aggregator sites so you just gotta deal with it.

Contributor
@Yatsuki @escae21
You mean like this thread?

Relevant response #1
Relevant response #2
If you really want to protect your scans, then upload them to your own password protected forums or blog. If you upload to a public platform like MD, then you'll have to accept that there are low lives out there who will exploit your work. It's a trade off between getting lots of people to see your release vs not being ripped easily by ad-gregators.

For the record, if there was a straightforward way to prevent ripping while not impacting real users, we would be doing it. And we would have sold such a system to Amazon and be millionaires.

It is an impossible task. There's not much of a difference with a real user and a bot nowdays. The arms race is lost.

Dex-chan lover
Can you see the image? Has the browser presented it to you such that the pixels are all in the right place and you can read it? Then bots can download it. The only way to make it difficult or impossible for a bot to fetch the image is to make it difficult or impossible for a human to read it.

@escae21 want to fuck with the scraping sites (and everybody else as collateral)?
Just upload your chapters with missing pages, and then 10 minutes later, edit in the missing pages.

Group Leader
To be honest, I do understand your point, but looking at it positively from MY point of view, SOMETIMES the sites that steal from mangadex are lifesavers since they also take chapters before they are deleted in mangadex and I can read them at another site without being frustrated... Moreover, if mangadex lags or some problems occur while they are updating the site, I can just go and read elsewhere then come back and read leisurely.
I'm sure some people will think negatively about what I said, but I am also from a scan, and I translated for free for people to read, although there are times when I am annoyed 'cause aggregator sites profit from our translations and hard work, I try to look at it as positively as possible :)
ah just so you know I'm not trying to defend them in any way, I'm just voicing out my opinion.
oh, by the way, if there were bots that could do that, then the official raw sites would have used them already lmao.
if you don't want them to upload your WHOLE translation then you can just mess with them as @Shiggle said >v<

Group Leader
just put your credits in every page
as long as it is not vulgar nor disturbing the reading experience no one is going to complain

Users who are viewing this thread