Akatsuki no Yona - Vol. 34 Ch. 196 - The Pain That Was Inflicted, on Those Who Inflicted It

@Ari23 I guess it a matter of point of view, for me Hak is the most relatable character, i understand the reason everyone does things and why they forgive and forget, but i'm just like hak, when i have a grudge i can't let go that easy, and that's why i relate to him, he is more emotions than reason, the exact opposite of Soowon. If every character reacted the same way, forgive the same way and put reason above everything else, we would just have a manga with Soowon and his kage bushins.

I love how the entire comment section is essays deconstructing the motivations of each character and them as merits to the story as a whole. While there are other comments that are, and I quote, "Basically everyone in the royal family is a well intentioned A-hole..." as said by @Firianath . Both types are correct and I love this fanbase that the majority view as reverse harem fangirls. So many overlook this beautifully complex story that has great character development, fantastic worldbuilding, lore, and the occasional great fight scene. All because this series is a "Mildly successful super-shoujo reverse harem" When in reality to those that know it, this story is so much more. I really hope more people could discover this, as from the moment I found the anime it's been one of my favorites.

You know now that the reason's out, I'm now really just kinda scared on how Yona will react cause as much as I understand Suwon, I'm still siding with the happy hungry bunch, and if in an occasion where after she read the diary and miraculously forgives him I don't know what I'm gonna do HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Yuhon killed her mother (as stated), King il killed Yuhon, Suwon killed King il. She has every right to also be angry.

after reading 9 pages of comments, i feel no need to comment on the brothers or soowon lol so i'll just say my opinion of YonHi
like some ppl have said, she suffered for years of guilt and confusing feelings of fear and love for her husband, as well as the constant inner conflict with her illness and bloodline. but she never once acted to try fix things or showed her disapproval, even though she was the victim so many times. it's normal, a possible way of reacting, to become overwhelmed when so many sh*t happens to you that you just can't do anything. that's fine when your a normal citizen. oh wait, she's not 🙃 yeah, so that's my problem with her. when marrying a figure of royalty and power, she let go of being a common citizen. had she wanted, her influence over her husband could've prevented many tragedies.
but imo, she can't even comprehend the situation she's in; it's not like she doesn't care about using her power, it's more like she doesn't know of it. so i pity her. she's not suitable to be a leader and somehow (someone's intense, insistent selfishness 🤔) ended up there 🤷🏻‍♀️ i don't blame her for her reaction to those events, i blame her for accepting tremendous responsibility and not being up for the job.

"I have no idea what the author is trying to do with Soo-won anymore... other than the whole 'cycle of vengeance' theme i feel like there's been a lot of backtracking and trying to make him more sympathetic or something, with the whole terminal illness and insinuating that he and his father would have been better rulers than Il."

Soo-won has already been *shown* as a much better king than Il. That's been true for a long time. Probably a better king than his father would have been, too.

I don't know why so many people are leaning on the 'revenge' thing. Young Soo-won clearly says he'll wait to see if Il will be capable of protecting the country. And we know Il wasn't. Soo-won's always shown a "greater good of Kouka" attitude. Revenge might have been a component, and justification for his Sky Tribe supporters, but I think Soo-won's motivation was "I'll do a much better job than Il."

Also, wouldn't all this being known by his inner circle have caused huge issues with his little rebellion? When so much of it is based off "Lord Il was a delusional religious fanatic" and then "Oh shit, he was right. Yona really is his reincarnation and has gathered the four dragons." Wouldn't it be in a bit more disarray considering the biggest reasons for it ended up being wrong?

Quite probably not. People are really good at rationalizing in defense of their self-esteem and self-interest. Plus even if the gods/dragons exist, not trusting in them or relying on them is part of the Yu-hon faction ideology, which isn't that irrational; the dragons didn't stick around for very long last time. Soo-won's very humanist, in a sense.

People in power hardly ever give up that power just because it's shown they made a mistake.

An endless cycle of hate and revenge. Quite frankly I had a feeling that Yu-Hon had something to do with Kashi’s death, which explains why Il decided to kill his brother and then there’s child Su-Won who already has a face seeking to kill someone. The flashbacks definitely provide the context we needed to understand the story and characters more. But I feel like this arc is totally about trying to redeem and justify Su-Won’s actions and I’m not having it. I don’t hate Su-Won, but I can never forgive him for what he did, especially to Yona & Hak. It’s like saying all the things he’s done wasn’t THAT bad, and with some context all would be forgiven. Like no, that’s not how that works and I’ll be a bit surprised if Yona forgives him after knowing all the info. Also, reading some comments, Hak isn’t just there for the “romance” subplot of the story, from my POV. And to say that he has no purpose in the story other than being that is also untrue. Hak has had his own development and reckoning when it comes to Su-Won & to Yona. And to be quite frank, Hak holding this hatred and pain of Su-Won is perfectly justified and normal. He’s human, he’s allowed to hold grudges, allowed to feel the way he does. Heck, if I was in his place I would feel the same! He’s essential to the story, and essential to the other characters.

Dex-chan lover
@xXSkyCrystalXx This isnt an endless cycle of revenge. Soo-Won didnt do what he did for revenge, he was ready to give up on getting revenge if King Il became a good king for Kouha, but he was a useless king that was about to destroy the whole country, so he didnt kill him to avenge his father but for the greater good of the country.
And also this arc isnt about justifying shit. Soo-Won's actions have been justified since the very beginning. Even Yona once she got out of her golden cage understood how bad of a king her father was.

Problem here is that fans just see this from the main characters perspective. "Oh poor girl, the bad guy killed her father. We must hate him", but this is a lot more complex. This isnt about killing a father but about killing a king, a bad one. If the MC was the one who killed a king like that then people would be fans would be overjoyed instead of being so triggered LOL

"the things he’s done wasn’t THAT bad, and with some context all would be forgiven. Like no, that’s not how that works and I’ll be a bit surprised if Yona forgives him after knowing all the info."

It was bad for Yona (in the short term; she's stronger now) and good for the country. Tolerating a bad king is good for the royal family and bad for the kingdom. Which is worse?

Yona was already inclined to not seek violent revenge; I doubt this memoir would make her more likely.

@that_weeb_one You're so right. I can only marvel both at the overall length of the discussion here and at the length and thoroughness of separate comments. It's the first time I see something like this for a shoujo manga. I normally read the chapters in a different language, and guess what, the discussion is just as lively and also takes pages, and the readers clash not because of who is the best hottie but because of the heroes' motivation and actions, because of what's best for the country and what kind of person a ruler should be, etc. What a phenomenon. All hail Kusanagi sensei!

@Kendama
Interesting interpretation of Hak's circumstances.

Re: Soo-Won's military strategy... If you remove Yona from the equation altogether (her making bonds with the local folks and regional leaders to give herself grounding and opening conversation channels) and just have the raging neighbouring empires hell bent on attacking Kouka whether to plunder or out of revenge, what chance or rather option did Soo-Won have that other than charging in for war? Sure, it's not the best option, but Yona's existence bought him time, which otherwise he did not actually have before the attacks would have started. From what I see, while he would have preferred a negotiation table, his country was already weak and could not guarantee prowess, offer any sort of compensation even if by trade or relief, nor any faith because of the way his father and grandfather had treated the other empires. If he'd had time, he would have tried to tackle the other empires the same way as he had with the Fire Tribe: show value of their region for trade and bolstering economy, and win the trust of the leader and their people. He could do that in his own country because of the authority of kingship. But what else was his option to deal with neighbouring leaders keen on their own ways of domineering?
Even with Xing, had Yona not met the older sister, she may have also failed to save Xing from going into war with Kouka. Even with Yona's storyline and growth there have been convenient instances for sure. And these can even be easily discarded as her drawing in circumstances just because she wields unearthly power/blessing.

(Also can you please remind me the Kin province chapter, I'm not able to recall properly that angle).

@Ari23
Here's another way to look at Hak.. he's been drawn as this really strong character that even the real dragons are considering him as being a "Dark Dragon". His strength is unparalleled (except for that scar guy whom he dreads hinself), he's easily able to win the hearts of the people around him, and he's learned strategy from Soo-Won. What xan break such a strong guy? Betrayal. So while others' growth is somewhat "quantifiable" or "visible" perhaps his story is about untying the mess of knots that the sudden betrayal has caused him.
Having said that, most of the scenes focused on him were Yona related and reaching out towards an unattainable love through class heirarchy, fealty and servitude, tainted friendship, and responsibility. The other bits was him trying to re-evaluate what trust is and rebuilding that from scratch after having felt the world had betrayed him. And the last bit was his relationship with Soo-Won, and the least touched. Which then he's seen saying that he himself has been avoiding thinking about. But then he could only think about it when he's able to put some distance between the memories in order to evaluate perspectives.
True, he's been the slowest. But the story seems to lean in towards Hak more now, so we'll probably get to see that growth in the coming chapters. It now seems as if the mangaka was deliberately holding out on Hak.

@Singingbun
Heeeeeeeh... Nani nani! That's an intriguing way to look at the sword and shield concept! And which plot element of NG Life you referring to? 🤔 Can mark as spoiler or PM me.

@IsabellaBellio
Hmm... Yon-Hi appears to have submitted to "for the sake of love" which became her weakness of not owning up to cause a change. She is a perceptive person but lacks the conviction she can influence or can own the authority to cause influence. Perhaps that's why she wrote the memoir, hoping Soo-Won, the only one remaining in her life, would ultimately make the right informed decisions. Welp.. let's see how it unfolds.

Power Uploader
@AstralRealms This discussion is now biased by the findings of why Il behaved that way, which we learn in chapter 197. But never mind that.

To answer your question: it's hard to deal with counterfactuals, but both Sei, Xing and Kwelbo decided to move towards war because king Il was murdered. They believed Soo-won was inexperienced and weak and made their moves. It's hard to tell whether the same would have happened had Il remained in place, but it seems that Soo-won's usurpation only accelerated the process. And you have to consider that he might just as well have been defeated had it not been for Yona. He would have had to deal with the Fire Tribe rebellion, which would metamorphose in an invasion by Li Hazara, compounded by the total crippling of the Water Tribe by nadai dealers and a simultaneous invasion from Xing, and perhaps one from Sei. Remove Yona from the equation, and Soo-won would've had to deal with all those problems at once. Just as you can say he acted because he wanted to save Kouka, his actions could have precipitated its demise. But now we're never gonna know, and all we have is the fact that Soo-won's actions had a terrible risk of backfiring. This has a name in political theory: brinkmanship. Its practitioners are praised when it works, hanged from lamp posts when it doesn't. It's not behaviour I want in a politician, in any age.

The Kin Province invasion happens between chapters 95 and 100. It's an instrumental arc to understand Soo-won's militarism: he rips apart a peace treaty, uses nadai merchants as an excuse to invade a country, and chooses a province that will allow him to bribe the Earth Tribe (because that's what the mining of Kin's mountains means) and satisfy his father complex (because Yu-hon used to rule that province). The name for that is invasion for plunder.

In any case, all of this analysis is defective if we don't take into account that this is a fantasy world where gods exist and prophecies work. Another of Soo-won's inexcusable traits is his hubris, in the original meaning of the word: pride that defies the gods.

@Kendama
Ah, Kin province is where Zeno's power is unveiled! I remembered the battle, and to see it again really kept me on edge and heart thumping. Eek. But I'd forgotten the reasoning behind that battle. Thanks for the chapter recall! I reread 94-101.

So I'll use this chapter discussion just to respond to the Kin arc.

Hmm.. So it's like Hak says.. the provocation at Sensui by Southern Kai provided an opportunity to show Kouka's regained power under the new kingship. For a King who is suspected to have usurped the throne, it served to gain the Earth Tribe's trust, give a chance for Fire Tribe to show its worth and fealty after the failed dissent, show Soo-Won's intent not just to the Water and Wind Tribe, but to the neighbouring kingdoms as well.
Kin was a weak province, and like the boy Kalgan's father Amoi mentions, it has switched hands numerous times yet the countries remain fickle on full ownership to the extent of lack of provisioning of enough border defence. Honestly quite stupid considering it's a key tactical area. Joo-nam/Yu-Hon plundered it. Then Il let it go because he refused to put up a fight (was there really a peace treaty signed here? It wasn't mentioned in these chapters). Fickleness of the countries also implies fickleness of the land and its people. Which means that the villagers were easy baits and could be swayed for use as needed. If that imbalance is present, and it was at a 50-50 chance who Kin would side with for war willingly, also considering the villagers would be a mix of Kouka and Kai citizens, as a King, why give this unstable "easy" territory away to Kai when Kouka can make use of it?

One way it to look at it is the way you've mentioned, as a ruthless plunder to gain territory. Another way to look at it is to secure the borders so that it prevents the impending attack. That was their weakest area after Sen and Sei borders. Sure, it wasn't an empathetic move by winning the hearts of the people, dragging them in for a rebellion with Kai on assurances and desire to join Kouka for their own prosperity, but based on chapter 94, I can't really see it as being solely for plunder. Sure there were more motives other than just border security, but that proved how advantageous it would be to Kouka if Kin were under their rule. Strategically it made sense, and especially when Kouka's own forces has just reawakened from a ten year slumber and comparatively still weak. Atleast in how it was intended as an attack route. They won Kin by sheer numbers as opposed to a smaller skilled assault force. The major thing Soo-Won was fighting against was time. If he'd had time, then it's a wonder of what other route he may have taken. Would he have dealt with it like he did with the Earth Tribe, more nuanced and winning people over rather than forcing rule.

Yet, having said that, true that it could have still backfired had the stragglers not chosen to raze the villages. The people could have still forced a rebellion choosing it was better to be with Kai than Kouka.

Then we come to the actual unexpected event of the remaining Kai forces plundering and pillaging their own Kin territory
a) as resentful retaliation through sacrifice of its own populace
b) to put up an indirect fight with Kouka by not giving up the land so easily
c) to put the blame on Kouka and colour them red.
This arc primarily served to show the consequences of war. That it's not always an end at the battlefield whether or not an attack or defence tactic was used.
Also, eerily, it reminds me of some of the India Partition accounts I'd read some time back. Villages were razed and people brutally chased and assaulted the same way, when it was decided that for the sake of freedom/independence, a line would be drawn to break the country in two (or 3 if you look at the eastern part too) in a sudden hasty declaration. Very haunting. The leaders didn't even consider the people living in the border areas, and suddenly a citizen no longer was a citizen.

Here, I do agree that had it not been for Yona, perhaps Soo-Won's reign would have been short-lived and collapsed. If Il had still been on the throne, that too would have collapsed just as soon, perhaps even sooner by the Fire Tribe rebellion itself. Then it would have been a mess of a situation with Fire Tribe being questioned and challenged. Meanwhile, the borders were already converging in on Kouka, and the other kingdoms could just as well have made a false handshake for the sake of overriding Kouka, then backstabbed each other to gain the territory for themselves. Lol, this scenario definitely makes for a good seinen doujinshi. 😅

I'm really interested in what happened to Kin during Il's reign. Honestly Gun-Tae was stupid for letting Kin go if it was already part of Kouka. I don't understand why he's so laid back and not even owning up to his past failure in this Kin arc. He just declares it would be good to get Kin back as if he was never at any fault. Compared to him, in ch 94, it felt that Joon-Gi was testing Il to the extent of sacrificing his people to gain attention to the ongoing crisis. He needed support to fight Nadai dealers, which he never got until Soo-Won came along. Whatever he could do on his own was nowhere near enough. And he was bound by Il not to go to war.

Even if this is a fantasy, Kusanagi-sensei has definitely been looking into military strategies/political theory. So I do think any kind of analysis is worth it. The story managed to invoke so many thoughts and reactions anyway.

Will bring up the prophecy bit in the next chap discussion.

I don't dislike Soowon because wrong or no he at least has a conviction, but why is Yon-hi so useless? Literally from when she was introduced until now she hasn't made a single decision for herself. She barely takes responsibility for anything beyond brooding occasionally. And that isn't the same as accountability. Brooding is self-absorbed self-pity meant only to serve her own conscience. Because who else does it help but her? No one.

She reaps all the benefits that come with marrying into royalty and luxury, lets everyone take care of her, makes no real effort to redeem herself before Kashi, never speaks out once against her husband, makes no remark to correct Soowon, and contents herself to being a living doll.

Even though Soo-won intended to intervene with the whole King Hiryuu reincarnation to save the kingdom, what he did (killing King Il) led to Yona meeting the 4 dragons which led to their group helping the Kyouka (Kouka?) Kingdom.
In this story, you cannot change fate i guess.

Ughhhh it's so well written I can't–

Users who are viewing this thread