Akebi-chan no Sailor Fuku - Vol. 13 Ch. 71 - Oh, The Agony~

Another incredible chapter. Hiro draws expressions so well, I'm amazed. Where did the whole "filming" stuff come from though? I don't remeber that at all.

Okay, I'm the type of reader who generally doesn't interact much. However, I've been seeing heated discussions on some forums for a while now. I'm going to be very blunt here, I'm a 16 years old girl. I discovered Akebi-chan two years ago and started following the manga because of the beautiful illustrations and captivating story. I really enjoyed seeing Komichi living new experiences and discovering herself as a person, especially because I'm at that stage too and I want to enjoy life like her.

To be honest, I was uncomfortable with some panels, especially when I thought the nudity was unnecessary or some of the poses were a bit awkward. But I continued reading, being well aware of the tags (suggestive on mangadex/ecchi on dynasty). I started looking for threads to see what other people think about the story, and it was common to find ships and jokes about kinks. It was also relatively common to see discussions about the sexualization of the girls, especially based on their age. Over time, I got tired of seeing this confusion in the comments, as I can't lie that it affects my experience with the manga.

My opinion is that, yes, the interest between Komichi and Erika developed throughout much of the manga, getting stronger and stronger and culminating in the stage play arc. And there's nothing wrong with that. Akebi-chan captivated me because it was more than just a CGDCT, it portrays genuine relationships between girls, with their fears and self-discoveries. This would be no different for the protagonist.

The sexualization part is more delicate. Can't deny that I was uncomfortable with some scenes, plus, again, SOME people commenting things like “yeah I wanna see 'em fucking”. For my part, I will continue reading because I like how things are going and most people share the same feeling as me about komichi x erika. Now, about those who comment that it’s disgusting. I can see the good intentions, but will this really change anything? People read this far because they wanted to, and they are aware of what happens in the manga. If you find the content disgusting, just stop reading. Don't start fighting in the comments. I'm not saying that I can do or think anything because I'm a minor, and I will never support pedophilia. Just wanted to get it off my chest.

Dex-chan lover
The problem with the people commenting about "sexualization" is they don't realize they are being homophobic/fetishizing by saying that they think girls falling in love with each other is inherently "sexual". These bigots can't view gay relationships the same as any other straight relationship (you think they would be saying the same thing if it were a straight pairing?)

It's too funny to read. Gay people exist, sorry! skill issue if you're offended!

Dex-chan lover
Another incredible chapter. Hiro draws expressions so well, I'm amazed. Where did the whole "filming" stuff come from though? I don't remeber that at all.
I actually had to go back a few chapters to find it: a girl from the high school acting club was trying to scout Akebi, but the drama club president came out of nowhere and shut her up with a full kiss. After that, inspired by the situation, she suggests to Akebi that they should film a video and even offers the position of camerawoman to the interloper (whether this was a genuine offer or just meant to unbalance the rival club girl, i don't know), but the girl runs off in embarrassed panic.

I think the reason nobody remembers, is because so many other things were happening at the same time - such as the first 'yuri kiss' in a manga that has become so emotionally and subtextually charged. Additionally, in the context of the moment, the suggestion to do a video felt more like a ploy from the drama president to scare the rival club girl off, rather than as something she was seriously considering.

Dex-chan lover
The problem with the people commenting about "sexualization" is they don't realize they are being homophobic/fetishizing by saying that they think girls falling in love with each other is inherently "sexual". These bigots can't view gay relationships the same as any other straight relationship (you think they would be saying the same thing if it were a straight pairing?)

It's too funny to read. Gay people exist, sorry! skill issue if you're offended!
Indeed. Where were all these comments during the arc about Touko's crush with a boy? It's just silly.

Resident Yuripig
Group Leader
Okay, I'm the type of reader who generally doesn't interact much. However, I've been seeing heated discussions on some forums for a while now. I'm going to be very blunt here, I'm a 16 years old girl. I discovered Akebi-chan two years ago and started following the manga because of the beautiful illustrations and captivating story. I really enjoyed seeing Komichi living new experiences and discovering herself as a person, especially because I'm at that stage too and I want to enjoy life like her.

To be honest, I was uncomfortable with some panels, especially when I thought the nudity was unnecessary or some of the poses were a bit awkward. But I continued reading, being well aware of the tags (suggestive on mangadex/ecchi on dynasty). I started looking for threads to see what other people think about the story, and it was common to find ships and jokes about kinks. It was also relatively common to see discussions about the sexualization of the girls, especially based on their age. Over time, I got tired of seeing this confusion in the comments, as I can't lie that it affects my experience with the manga.

My opinion is that, yes, the interest between Komichi and Erika developed throughout much of the manga, getting stronger and stronger and culminating in the stage play arc. And there's nothing wrong with that. Akebi-chan captivated me because it was more than just a CGDCT, it portrays genuine relationships between girls, with their fears and self-discoveries. This would be no different for the protagonist.

The sexualization part is more delicate. Can't deny that I was uncomfortable with some scenes, plus, again, SOME people commenting things like “yeah I wanna see 'em fucking”. For my part, I will continue reading because I like how things are going and most people share the same feeling as me about komichi x erika. Now, about those who comment that it’s disgusting. I can see the good intentions, but will this really change anything? People read this far because they wanted to, and they are aware of what happens in the manga. If you find the content disgusting, just stop reading. Don't start fighting in the comments. I'm not saying that I can do or think anything because I'm a minor, and I will never support pedophilia. Just wanted to get it off my chest.
And this, kids, is how to make a well-thought out response that isnt inflamatory or self-righteous.

GJ, ter1y4k1

unbelievable. some actual yuri in my SoL? can't be.

would be real mad if the author walks back on this now with some kind of "love but not that kind of love" thing

Dex-chan lover
People here wasting time defending 2D characters' childhoods when there is probably some priest/pastor/counselor close to them abusing children. Go and put your energy where it matters, O you of pure heart!
its not like it takes a lot of energy though,, i usually like to comment my opinions anyways! and i dont think i understand the sentiment? i dont think anyone who finds child sexualization depictions creepy is not condemning real life predators? what do you want me to do, dismantle the church 😆?

i really dont see it as “pure hearted” 😭 do you guys ever talk to, like, normal people 😭 do you not think its at least a litttttle weird?

Dex-chan lover

what ?? who is this referring to 😭😆 i dont think anyone is complaining ab the yuri (im a lesbian) ppl complain ab the creepy sexualizing comments and the obvious gratuitous weird angled sexualizing child art moments w this manga

Dex-chan lover

ohh nvm ur talking ab the guy who brought up yagakimi right? yeah that was weird, the sexualization absolutely did not start recently and has been around the whole manga so if theyre just noticing in “later chapters” i see where youre coming from. anyways i love gay ppl komichi x erika for the win !! i think the story is super well done 🫶

Dex-chan lover
its not like it takes a lot of energy though,, i usually like to comment my opinions anyways! and i dont think i understand the sentiment? i dont think anyone who finds child sexualization depictions creepy is not condemning real life predators? what do you want me to do, dismantle the church 😆?

i really dont see it as “pure hearted” 😭 do you guys ever talk to, like, normal people 😭 do you not think its at least a litttttle weird?
With fiction, you just ignore what you don't like. To give you an example, I don't care one bit about One Piece, therefore I don't engage with it on any level. Ever. That's it. The comment about using that energy where it matters is precisely that. Characters need not saving from the the author or the audience. They are dolls, and as such, they only exists for entertainment. The moment that stops being true for you, the healthy thing to do is to move on.

The pure heart bit was just me being a little shit, don't take it seriously.

Dex-chan lover
I'm happy to be wrong (and OK to be right), but I'm gonna call it: this will all be a fake-out orchestrated by the drama weirdo loli.
Prez knows that yuri sells, so she's creating buzz to reel people into the play. There's no other explanation to the girls suddenly filming videos and sharing them. But still Komichi might be confused about her real feelings besides the acting.

Resident Yuripig
Group Leader
Prez knows that yuri sells, so she's creating buzz to reel people into the play. There's no other explanation to the girls suddenly filming videos and sharing them. But still Komichi might be confused about her real feelings besides the acting.
Komichi (and maybe Erika) MIGHT be confused about their feelings, but both of them DO know that they're something more than friends to each other. This is rural Japan after all. Most likely neither of them have ever even seen a same sex couple (well maybe on TV)... However, they know that what they feel toward each other is not the same feelings the feel toward their other friends.

Dex-chan lover
YURI!!!

penguinz0-yeah-baby.gif

Dex-chan lover
With fiction, you just ignore what you don't like. To give you an example, I don't care one bit about One Piece, therefore I don't engage with it on any level. Ever. That's it. The comment about using that energy where it matters is precisely that. Characters need not saving from the the author or the audience. They are dolls, and as such, they only exists for entertainment. The moment that stops being true for you, the healthy thing to do is to move on.

The pure heart bit was just me being a little shit, don't take it seriously.
wowowooah there buddy, YOU can go ahead and do that, but thats got nothing to do with me 😆 i dont think its a waste of my energy, it actually helps relieve some stress/annoyance to comment ab things that bother me. i also tend to comment in response to misogyny and homophobia (even regarding fiction) in different platforms, is that also a waste of energy in your opinion? (j curious)

i wonder why you are responding to these comments instead of spending energy on ur nearby irl child predator? since that seems to be a reasonable reallocation of energy for you somehow (just playing)

and this has nothing to do with the characters lmao 😭😭 its the real life people that gross me out. i still think everything i said in my previous comments are fitting !

It seems to me like there might be something funky with the translation thats leading to confusion. Erika's phrasing in chapter 69 was "join me" but the intent seemed to be more along the lines of "be with me/date me/etc". Maybe it could be intentionally vague owing to young characters not really understanding their emotions, but it just seemed off to me.

Dex-chan lover
This is kind of like the play In Bloom into You. Yuu wasn't in the play with Touko, but still, there was a same-sex couple in it that was reality even if it was unrequited. I guess I'm just trying to come up with reasons for this to turn out the way we all want it to...
First Yuu was in the play, she played the nurse who tended to Touko's character. But yeah, the two are quite similar I would say, they are both play arcs meant to cause the characters involved rethink their own understandings of themselves. For Bloom into You this was Touko learning that she doesn't need to put up a front of her sister, and the process of creating the play itself helped Yuu come to terms with her feelings of love that they were love. Similarly, in Akebi-chan there is a similar aspect with the play serving to get Komichi to explore and understand her feelings towards Erika, and similarly for Erika, and this arc came after/came from the part of Komichi asking others about love and not understanding love (which feels very reminisent for Bloom into Yuu and Yuu's own struggles with understanding it). Along with the double purpose of stuff involving Oshizu and her feelings of not being good enough, and Erika and Komichi's copying others' works vs creating their own, there's a lot too it. The use of a play in order to push the characters forward in their development for both of these two manga have been really really well done, feels very similar.

Users who are viewing this thread