Akuyaku Reijou no Taida na Tameiki - Ch. 8

Dex-chan lover
"interesting, this bracket-style tournament is very flawed" - ppl used to less flawed systems
"yes, is that not good!?It's the entire selling point, that people who are objectively worse might score better than others, and matches can be rigged such that a political rival gets difficult opponents early on and fails to show any clear competence to the audience!" - mc
"..." - me

Double-page supporter
"..." - me
The problem is those "less flawed" systems are constantly being rigged already behind closed doors, so the plan is to make it all very public instead, and that necessitates a format that won't bore random student spectators (and which busy high officials can afford to watch themselves).

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
The problem is those "less flawed" systems are constantly being rigged already behind closed doors, so the plan is to make it all very public instead, and that necessitates a format that won't bore random student spectators.
No, you can absolutely make a round-robin be public too. It is not the less flawed systems that are rigged, it is that the recommendation itself is rigged (which btw the tournament wouldn't truly fix, all the tournament does it enable the victims of the rigging to get a rec through another approach - the scouting royal knight watching them).

No, it is the flawed system that she proposed that is going to be rigged behind closed doors, as where people place and how good of a showing they can perform, is entirely dependent on who they end up facing.

Dex-chan lover
The first ever Tenka'Ichi tournament will be held next yea... oh wait wrong series.

Come to think of it, western based fantasy mangas rarely have tournaments. As in proper tournaments, jousting and all. At best they have these martial showings, more based on shounen stuff than anything else.
Would be fun to see a proper knight series someday.
No, you can absolutely make a round-robin be public too. It is not the less flawed systems that are rigged, it is that the recommendation itself is rigged (which btw the tournament wouldn't truly fix, all the tournament does it enable the victims of the rigging to get a rec through another approach - the scouting royal knight watching them).

No, it is the flawed system that she proposed that is going to be rigged behind closed doors, as where people place and how good of a showing they can perform, is entirely dependent on who they end up facing.
Elimination tournament at the very least is more showy, easier to follow for the audience and shorter. Spectacle wise it is the better option, but yeah, much easier to rig.

Dex-chan lover
Dealing with the stupid crown prince is a real hassle, with him being stupid and all. Did I mention that he's stupid?
:huh:

Dex-chan lover
I can't imagine how a tournament would ever replace large scale military training.
It's one thing to have a tournament as entertainment and to showcase individual swordsmanship but the requirements for war are very different. Just one example is that it is fought by armies - individuals cooperating together to fight tactically and under a strategy.

Double-page supporter
I can't imagine how a tournament would ever replace large scale military training.
The idea is basically they are doing an excessive amount of training not to actually train, but just to show off to neighbouring countries. She wants to propose a new way to show off.

However iirc all the national level stuff is largely an excuse to quickly escalate the whole thing way beyond the scale where that stupid prince has any kind of significant influence.

Dex-chan lover
Wish they did other things besides just the shounen tournament thing, taking a page from A Knight's Tale (yea I know but it's best example I could think) with jousting and armored duel, hell could even put some brawling for good measure

Dex-chan lover
Does this have a novel? How many chapter does it currently have?

Users who are viewing this thread