Allow a user to change a series' title for just themselves.

Dex-chan lover
I don't like it when the title of a series I'm following gets changed to something else because it really confuses me. It's happened a couple times to series I follow; This Girl's Not Just Cute became Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie, and Hard Carry Support got retitled as Star Player Supporter (which isn't even the title the translator uses).

I'd like to be able to set the title for series for myself, without it affect everybody else. That way, if people like the new title, good for them, then can have it, but I can switch it back to the old title so I'm not confused by a new update popping up.

Upvote 6
I 100% agree with this. I think I'd be very helpful if you could change the names.

Sometimes the title names are super long and are hard to remember so this would be useful.

Fed-Kun's army
I think we should just up-vote this information to make it reach the moderators and admins

Group Leader
Another example: "Ranger Reject" changed into "Go, Go, Loser Ranger!". Because official translation decided to instead translating title directly from japanese, to make up completely new one for themselves. At least someone added back "Ranger Reject" as alternative, sometime later.

Contributor
I don't like it when the title of a series I'm following gets changed to something else because it really confuses me. It's happened a couple times to series I follow; This Girl's Not Just Cute became Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie, and Hard Carry Support got retitled as Star Player Supporter (which isn't even the title the translator uses).

I'd like to be able to set the title for series for myself, without it affect everybody else. That way, if people like the new title, good for them, then can have it, but I can switch it back to the old title so I'm not confused by a new update popping up.
I assume for Hard Carry Support/Star Player Supporter it's because both titles are in english, while one is just the translator's name for it (which is helpful for them in avoiding DMCA strikes) and the other is the official title.

Another example: "Ranger Reject" changed into "Go, Go, Loser Ranger!". Because official translation decided to instead translating title directly from japanese, to make up completely new one for themselves. At least someone added back "Ranger Reject" as alternative, sometime later.
Whenever the title is pretty different, I assume that they ran into some sort of copyright/trademark issue, but in this particular case, I assume it was marketing for a Power Rangers tie-in, since the theme song of Power Rangers tends to stick in your head.

Dex-chan lover
I assume for Hard Carry Support/Star Player Supporter it's because both titles are in english, while one is just the translator's name for it (which is helpful for them in avoiding DMCA strikes) and the other is the official title.
I don't care what the official title is. I want to be able to pick a title out of the alternatives so that, when it shows up in my searches or my follows, I know which story it is.

Dex-chan lover
I hate what to me appear to be meaningless Title Wars where a manga changes names multiple times as if people are trying to enforce a personal preference among alternate titles.

I keep directories named as the title with information/notes about each manga. When the title changes it sometimes becomes quite difficult to track down the correct directory.

Dex-chan lover
Good to see it's just not me struggling with this, I haven't been able to keep up with a lot of stuff because the titles change all the time.

Group Leader
Maybe make a MDList with the title you want to use and save the series to it?

Users who are viewing this thread