Allow different payment options

This is a suggestion after I was looking to support the main site, in response to their new support campaign. After trying to support Mangadex, the only payment options listed revolved around having a credit card. (In my case, I don't own a credit card and I imagine many others don't have one either.) It would be nice to see other options such as Paypal (or Ideal, which is used commonly in The Netherlands) or other methods, such as through Patreon. Any other suggestions from the community would also be appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this suggestion.

Upvote 0
Contributor
To quote something I wrote long ago
The biggest problem you face with that kind of thing is the fact that Mangadex is a pirate site and therefore taking donations/"micro-transaction" requires transferring/receiving money in "creative" ways. In the past MD accepted donations via paypal, but that got shutdown for obvious reasons. Having a bank account or similar to accept money requires an ID in most places and thus would link someone to illegal activities which they could then be on the hook for. Crypto was an attempt that was mostly unsuccessful because of it's complicated nature and sometimes legal status in places.
Basically the tldr is that pirate sites have a hard time using "normal" methods of accepting donations.
Right now things go through NamiComi who I believe use Stripe for payment processing. It might be possible to inquire over at NamiComi about adding additional methods of payment but I wouldn't count on it being a quick process.

Basically the tldr is that pirate sites have a hard time using "normal" methods of accepting donations.
Right now things go through NamiComi who I believe use Stripe for payment processing. It might be possible to inquire over at NamiComi about adding additional methods of payment but I wouldn't count on it being a quick process.
Thank you for the quick response. I will try over at NamiComi anyway, because I would still like to contribute, but don't have a credit card.

Would it be possible to have just a one time payment option as well? I know I could just do the subscription for a month but just a 1 time, any amount donation?

Contributor
Would it be possible to have just a one time payment option as well? I know I could just do the subscription for a month but just a 1 time, any amount donation?
I don't believe that is an option that is available via NamiComi, and for NamiComi it's probably not something they will likely be interested in given that it's a site geared towards supporting small creators. However, it probably won't hurt to ask them about it.

Dex-chan lover
same, wanted to throw 5 bucks a month but without a credit card I can't

Dex-chan lover
I want to give you some money, but due to job reasons i can't risk my name being connected to, well, a shady website and possible data leak would achieve that, so i would appreciate a bitcoin/eth/similar option

Last edited:
Contributor
I want to give you some money, but due to job reasons i can't risk my name being connected to, well, a shady website and possible data leak would achieve that, so i would appreciate a bitcoin/eth/similar option
Well the donations go through NamiComi (Stripe is the payment processor), which is not a "shady" website that hosts "dubious" content, so that shouldn't be a problem, but not wanting your information out there is understandable.

Regarding crypto currencies its kind of being looked into but its not a simple matter.

Can I support via PayPal/cryptocurrencies?​

PayPal should be available soon!
Cryptocurrencies are a bit trickier (as we need fiat currency to pay for servers and so on), but we are looking at our options in that area.

Well the donations go through NamiComi (Stripe is the payment processor), which is not a "shady" website that hosts "dubious" content, so that shouldn't be a problem, but not wanting your information out there is understandable.

Regarding crypto currencies its kind of being looked into but its not a simple matter.
Thanks for the update. Any idea where we can follow this development? (At least regarding paypal.)

I also want to donate in crypto to avoid fees. Many of us including me don't really care about the assigned benefits so global donation addresses are good enough

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread