Am I allowed to modify a /a/nonymous scanlation upload?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Group Leader
Hi,

Recently there's been a kerfuffle in the latest scanlation of Yofukashi no Uta ch 184 page 5 due to the casual the use of the slur "

normalfag

" rather than using anything else, such as "normie" being the obvious choice, or simply just "normal", or "regular".

I currently have no way of knowing which verbiage is the most accurate to the original raws (the difficulty in obtaining raws is outlined in Eighty Six's post) however I think it's reasonable to assume that blatant casual homophobia is expected to not be present.

I would like to modify this release by changing the verbiage to "normie". I've read the site rules, and the closest I can see is rule 3.2.4 "If you are not part of the scanlation group, do not alter the release you are uploading by any means." However, since the scanlation group is /a/nonymous aka random people on 4chan's /a/ board, I could theoretically post the modified page 5 on 4chan to conform to these rules and thus justify modifying the page accordingly. I recognize that this is literally just me exploiting a perceived loophole, hence I am asking for permission to do so before actually doing so.

I will ignore any response attempting to debate the morality, ethics, policy-making, etc. pertaining to censorship, PC culture, wokeism, etc

~~

Yofukashi no Uta main landing page: https://mangadex.org/title/259dfd8a-f06a-4825-8fa6-a2dcd7274230/yofukashi-no-uta
Yofukashi no Uta ch184 page 5 direct link: https://mangadex.org/chapter/d78f7d3b-4ac5-4e29-8a7c-de305794bf12/5
Yofukashi no Uta ch184 direct thread link: https://forums.mangadex.org/threads/yofukashi-no-uta-ch-184-a-dumb-party-trick.1453246/

Solution
I would like to modify this release
Like you said, Rule 3.2.4: If you are not part of the scanlation group, do not alter the release you are uploading by any means.

While the board groups are non-standard when it comes to membership and ownership, it's trivial for someone to check an archive of the original thread and point out that you've modified the release from its original state. Taking an /a/non release and making legitimate improvements to it is one thing, taking one and changing a single word is just enthusiastic vandalism.

This isn't a topic that's been brought up before as far as I can remember, please don't try and open this Pandora's Box of "well the group is open so anyone can edit it right?" editing.
Power Uploader
Look, pointless homophobia aside, you probably didn't have a contribution to the scan/thread, you're probably not much of an /a/ kinda guy, and you have no business altering someone else's work. Do you think if i went into the /a/ back catalog and made troll edits the mods would let that shit fly just because i posted the troll edits to /a/ afterwords? OBVIOUSLY not. That's schoolyard "why are you hitting yourself logic" that the site mods wouldn't tolerate even if the rules allowed for what you're sugguesting. You may not realize it, but your situation and my more extreme hypothetical are functionally identical to the site mods because in both cases we as outsiders would be going against the very clear intentions of the people who actually made the scan.

Moot point anyway since you didn't post it to the site & dont have edit access to the upload. A lot of 4chaners get a kick out of guys like you who use the word "normie" but get offended by "normalfag." It's not really even about being homophobic at this point, they just like fucking with people like you, and seeing your salt. If you dont like the scanlator's eccentricities all you have to do is read the free official english simulpub. Be grateful the series is popular enough that the publisher provides a free simulpub. Even if you live in some backwater like canada and cant access the VIZ site, just suck it up and use a VPN or visit sites that steal officially licensed manga. You're already on a site that steals manga, so it shouldn't be hard to find one that steals officially licensed manga, too.

Group Leader
Look, pointless homophobia aside, you probably didn't have a contribution to the scan/thread, you're probably not much of an /a/ kinda guy, and you have no business altering someone else's work. Do you think if i went into the /a/ back catalog and made troll edits the mods would let that shit fly just because i posted the troll edits to /a/ afterwords? OBVIOUSLY not. That's schoolyard "why are you hitting yourself logic" that the site mods wouldn't tolerate even if the rules allowed for what you're sugguesting. You may not realize it, but your situation and my more extreme hypothetical are functionally identical to the site mods because in both cases we as outsiders would be going against the very clear intentions of the people who actually made the scan.

Moot point anyway since you didn't post it to the site & dont have edit access to the upload. A lot of 4chaners get a kick out of guys like you who use the word "normie" but get offended by "normalfag." It's not really even about being homophobic at this point, they just like fucking with people like you, and seeing your salt. If you dont like the scanlator's eccentricities all you have to do is read the free official english simulpub. Be grateful the series is popular enough that the publisher provides a free simulpub. Even if you live in some backwater like canada and cant access the VIZ site, just suck it up and use a VPN or visit sites that steal officially licensed manga. You're already on a site that steals manga, so it shouldn't be hard to find one that steals officially licensed manga, too.
good 1st paragraph bad second paragraph. if i do nothing they win because they're not trolling and their homophobia goes unchallenged so it's pointless. if i do something they win because they're trolling and they got a reaction so it's pointless. it turns out that attempting to reframe the discussion as winning vs losing is a lose-lose situation
just make your own release from scratch, wtf, you are GL.
good idea maybe i will

Dex-chan lover
The phrase has nothing to do with homosexuality or homophobia. It was invented on 4chan where the word "F" word is attached to everything for the sake of shock value, pissing people off, or just to be a simple throw on for sentences. It's essentially designed to troll people who are overtly sensitive to the usage of the phrase. Because that's how 4Chan vets you, it's how they weed out people they don't want to deal with and enjoy upsetting and at this point is just part of the websites culture.

If you're going to be reading a translation by a group named after a 4chan board then expect 4chan culture to come with it.

You are pretty much the very reason they use the phrase.

Power Uploader
good 1st paragraph bad second paragraph. if i do nothing they win because they're not trolling and their homophobia goes unchallenged so it's pointless. if i do something they win because they're trolling and they got a reaction so it's pointless. it turns out that attempting to reframe the discussion as winning vs losing is a lose-lose situation
I dont think this is a situation where playing the game wins you a prize. I guarantee you you're not gonna get to change that upload, and as I mentioned its used as a phrase to make people uncomfortable, and since you're uncomfortable they seem to have gotten what they wanted. If you choose to think about a situation as winning vs loosing, but dont choose to set your own win conditions you're at a big disadvantage. If you cant be content with expressing your concerns then I guess you're just not "winning."
just make your own release from scratch, wtf, you are GL.
Just make your own release lmao
It's netspeak not homophobia anyway
my impression was that the existence of perceived homophobia anywhere is what's at issue to op, or else they'd just read the simulpub for 0$. Also, theres another upload with the "normalfag" phrase in it now. Op, if you're not prepared to be content with your efforts to this point your only remedy is to find a TL and create your own version of the chapter when it's already got scans and a simulpub. I think your time would be better spent scanning untranslated manga, or fighting homophobia in the real world and not a dime a dozen baitpost.

Group Leader
I dont think this is a situation where playing the game wins you a prize. I guarantee you you're not gonna get to change that upload, and as I mentioned its used as a phrase to make people uncomfortable, and since you're uncomfortable they seem to have gotten what they wanted. If you choose to think about a situation as winning vs loosing, but dont choose to set your own win conditions you're at a big disadvantage. If you cant be content with expressing your concerns then I guess you're just not "winning."

my impression was that the existence of perceived homophobia anywhere is what's at issue to op, or else they'd just read the simulpub for 0$. Also, theres another upload with the "normalfag" phrase in it now. Op, if you're not prepared to be content with your efforts to this point your only remedy is to find a TL and create your own version of the chapter when it's already got scans and a simulpub. I think your time would be better spent scanning untranslated manga, or fighting homophobia in the real world and not a dime a dozen baitpost.
fk man. that's right. you're right. as annoyingly fucking usual, the best revenge is to live life, or something like that. can't believe i'm forced to admit that i prefer the corpo version.

also the second upload is the same exact translation, just re-typeset (as far as I can tell)

Group Leader
also the second upload is the same exact translation, just re-typeset (as far as I can tell)

OP, let's try this instead: you want to combat homophobia, and you don't like their translation, and you are willing to meddle with their work. How about you become the change that you want to be, and take an extra step? Download the chapter -> delete the offensive word -> repost it under your name. You're a group leader. Surely you can handle something this simple, no? Maybe change a few things here and their so it won't seem too obvious that you copied someone's homework. Title it something like "chapter name with no offensive word" so people know what the difference is.

But understand this: you might be able to do this for a few chapters, but you won't be able to repost hundreds of other chapters with the same or similar offensive words. Pick your battles wisely. Sometimes, it's best to just ignore the idiots/trolls and move on with your life, do something else more worthy of your time. Perhaps instead of wasting time editing the chapter, go lend your ears and shoulder to a gay person who's unable to come out to their family.

Power Uploader
OP, let's try this instead: you want to combat homophobia, and you don't like their translation, and you are willing to meddle with their work. How about you become the change that you want to be, and take an extra step? Download the chapter -> delete the offensive word -> repost it under your name. You're a group leader. Surely you can handle something this simple, no? Maybe change a few things here and their so it won't seem too obvious that you copied someone's homework. Title it something like "chapter name with no offensive word" so people know what the difference is.

But understand this: you might be able to do this for a few chapters, but you won't be able to repost hundreds of other chapters with the same or similar offensive words. Pick your battles wisely. Sometimes, it's best to just ignore the idiots/trolls and move on with your life, do something else more worthy of your time. Perhaps instead of wasting time editing the chapter, go lend your ears and shoulder to a gay person who's unable to come out to their family.
that is NOT how this site works fella

Dex-chan lover
Even putting aside the fact it's a slur, lmao what kind of pathetic Fortnite playing 12 year old uses "normalf*g" in a "translation" anyways? Especially since it's from a bunch of people that probably screech and cry about "wokeism" "ruining" corporate translations.

Power Uploader
Even putting aside the fact it's a slur, lmao what kind of pathetic Fortnite playing 12 year old uses "normalf*g" in a "translation" anyways? Especially since it's from a bunch of people that probably screech and cry about "wokeism" "ruining" corporate translations.
There's actually a debate right now in the 4chan scanlation thread whether it's an appropriate translation of “リア充”. I personally think “normie” is better, and that is all that matters to me, but the side that things “normalfag” is better also has a point. I do translate “処女厨” to “purityfag” for instance because I feel that translation is more accurate.

Even EDICT lists “-fag” as a translation of “厨”; it actually functions in quite a similar way in that it's attached to many things on the internet on 2ch, but “厨” is actually more negative than “-fag”, which has become fairly neutral on 4chan right now. People often refer to themselves as “oldfag” or “Archfag” completely neutrally.

In any case, almost all people who complain about a translation don't reference the original lines and point out why the translation is wrong. You say this is pathetic, but what if Japanese had a word which most accurately translated to “normalfag”? What if the word was actually composed of a morpheme which could also be construed as an insult towards homosexuals?

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
I would like to modify this release
Like you said, Rule 3.2.4: If you are not part of the scanlation group, do not alter the release you are uploading by any means.

While the board groups are non-standard when it comes to membership and ownership, it's trivial for someone to check an archive of the original thread and point out that you've modified the release from its original state. Taking an /a/non release and making legitimate improvements to it is one thing, taking one and changing a single word is just enthusiastic vandalism.

This isn't a topic that's been brought up before as far as I can remember, please don't try and open this Pandora's Box of "well the group is open so anyone can edit it right?" editing.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread