Am I Your Daughter? - Vol. 1 Ch. 34

Thank you so much for picking this up!!

I'm still wondering why they kept her alive until she became 18. It kinda feels like there's something to do with an inheritance of some kind...

I really hope she succeeds in fleeing this time, I just want her to get away from that place :( such unpleasant people

Double-page supporter
Anyone else think that there's no reason for this to be a time travel story in the first place? Usually, the point of a time travel story is that the MC relives their life, taking advantage of their future knowledge to make the most of key events and also making the most of being an adult in a child's body. Sometimes also being forced into awkward situations because they're an adult in a child's body and being treated like a child. None of that happens here.

The main point, knowing the future, is rendered pointless because the danger is so obvious from the start and because she lived isolated. She has no particular skills or knowledge she can use to change things. And because her mental growth was stunted from abuse and lack of interaction with people, she behaves like a child anyway. So what's the point of the time travel?

Consider an alternate scenario: she is adopted by the count, spends one week in that cabin, with the daughter hitting her and the count getting angry at her for being hit, and she escapes from the estate, terrified because she has nowhere to go. The count happens to show up and see her missing and sends guards chasing after her. She runs into the prince on the town, the guards catch up, and the events of chapter 1 unfold as they did. And the story carries on, exactly the same except for no time travel being involved. Does anything really change?

Dex-chan lover
no nose but those lips...
0ce58b5739057c12c7769982d60d5599.png

Thanks for translating!

SHE COULD LOCK THE CABIN'S DOOR BY HERSELF?? You should have run as soon as possible from the beginning, girl!

The time travel just seems like a hook to grab readers and it’s poorly done so those initial clicks must’ve fallen off fast.

Why doesn’t she just burn the goddamn place down in this timeline

Welp... this hits home too close... bad idea since im depressed... Except in my case its my mother, yikes.

wait- why keep her there if they hate her so much again? They didn't even sell her off or anything

The story is really interesting but her always making that surprised face “:eek:” is really annoying me 😩

Dex-chan lover
@Kynnath
I think the only reason for the time travel is to make the MC fear and run away from the count so desperately, even at the risk of dying. A mere child would never be able to run from a count's house. Even though she can, the distance from count's house to town would be too far and the second prince would normally never traverse near the count's house. The child would easily get caught again. Also without such prolonged abuse, a child would be much easier to forgive the bad treatments and return to her adopted family when count asks forgiveness. And without all the obvious symptoms of abuse, the duke would easily return someone else's child and be done with it. Just remember how much the duke tried to refuse the test's results. Even though I definitely agree that the MC is far too childish for an ex 18 yo.

Double-page supporter
@jhs_reika An unusually rebellious child is more believable than unexplained time-travel. Especially since she grew up in an orphanage, so her backstory can make her be more rebellious. Also, in the original timeline she was left alone for days at a time, with no interaction from anyone. She would cook for herself and handle everything required to not die, so clearly she already was far more independent than normal children. From there to just grabbing some food and leaving during the night, avoiding a couple of patrols that didn't expect her to be running, is quite simple to believe. As is not wanting to go back. Meeting the prince by chance somewhere he shouldn't be is what happens in chapter 1 anyway, so that's no more of a stretch. She can easily have bruises if you want her to show clear signs of abuse, since in her memories the Count got mad at her for "being hurt" after his daughter hit her, meaning she easily bruises already.

Dex-chan lover
@Kynnath
Yes I think your reasonings are right, especially since I just realized that she had indeed need to cook and clean for herself since near the beginning. I'm still not sure about escaping the mansion since the security there should be really high (looking at how shady and secretive the count's family is), but the author should be able to easily circumvent that. In the end, I think we're all agree that we want the MC to be FAR more capable.

they definitely wanted her to give up her inheritance or birthright or something "of her own will" as an adult but she got bye-byed by a kid raised by psychos

Users who are viewing this thread