Amano Megumi wa Suki Darake!

People below are talking about how this is too long so I'll just sum it up here. If you liked Nisekoi and its 200+ chapters then you might like this as well. But if not then best steer clear

Its already their third years as of chapter 231, so I do not think there is much time left for them. And beside the chapters with blatant fan service, it was a heart-warming story with no love triangle or harem bullshit for the most part. So I say give it a read.

Aggregator gang
For people complaining about the lack of progress: (points to the "Slice of Life" tag)
This tag means progress is not SUPPOSED to happen except as "filler" content. It's just meant to be a casual read you can enjoy to kill time.
For those who never knew that, I hope that helps you out.

For those who knew but ignored it (which is more than you'd think), no one to blame but yourself for pushing your expectations on something.

Why do groups gotta have their laundry air out like that. You might not have liked them, maybe hated them but it's dumb to spend effort saying things like good riddance. Especially when it's going to stay on the internet for a very long time. They may have been greedy but that's something for you to keep within your private group, not out in the public space. You have now lowered yourself by posting that.

Fed-Kun's army
@TwilightFaze
I knew what I was going to get first 30 chapters in; I am not part of the naysayers here and get quite annoyed reading all those 'progress!' comments but that's not to say those criticism aren't valid.

'Slice of life' doesn't mean your story cannot have at least some progress, some change in the status quo after after 200+ chapters. Amano and Shindou have had no change in their relationship whatsoever since the first few chapters. Yes, they are a bit more cognizant of their feeling regarding each other but that's about it. Not to mention, the chapters are rehash of that same base formula (they do something, we get a look at "gaps", Shindou covers for it and later bemoans how he can't get it out of his head) barring some, which again, I low key enjoy before forgetting about it entirely but makes sense why they frustrate some readers after two hundred chapters, which is pushing it.

Aggregator gang
@MagmaDrago: Not really. It's simply the patience of readers wearing thin, not the manga stretching it too far. There has been a change over the course of the series. Amano initially saw him as just a friend, developed an interest as a girl, and now realizes how she feels about him. Shindou may also seem very focused and dense, but he's also grown from seeing Amano as a clueless friend to a girl he's interested in as a guy. He's not as far as he is as Amano is with him, but he's made progress.

The rehash is also the point. I mean the name of the manga IS "Amano is full of openings" so that should make it clear that that's the premise. Look at it like this: It's pretty much a longer version of a comic strip. Like, "Calvin and Hobbes" had some story here and tehre but it was pretty much just the misadventures of a mischievous 6 year old and his stuffed tiger. Same here. There's a bit of story, but it's meant to be enjoyed in the same manner.

(None of this is directed at you, btw, I'm just being general entirely)

I simply want to state my opinion, so this is by no means a hate comment towards the mangaka.

It's truthfully extremely hard to balance slice of life and romance in one manga, especially if you have as many chapters as Amano Megumi. But the thing is right, if you want to make it mostly slice of life, you have got to make it entertaining - make it funny, use it to world-build, maybe even try different types of comedy to test the waters - just do something.
Let's look at Komi-san. It's already been 200 chapters, yet Tadano and Shouko have not started dating, or gone through the rough period before dating. It's, quite literally, 90% slice of life, 10% romance. The thing about it, is that the slice of life has a purpose: to build the world and its characters. Komi-san slice of life is usually never about ONLY Tadano or Komi. It's always them and their friends or family, or just their friends. This makes it interesting and worth reading, since the slice of life has a use. Also, Komi's cute. Tadano, although debate-ably a self-insert, is an endearing character. The rest of them are also pretty good. Having a wide range of characters means you have a big bag of jokes, so they don't get stale easily.
In Amano Megumi, it's just Shindo trying to study and Amano flashing either her tits or ass. I'm not going to criticize fanservice, but nobody reads 200 chapters of fanservice to beat their dick. That's what hentai is for. Ecchi is fine, if used correctly, which is not the case here. The best way that I can describe it is: boring. The side characters are boring and one-dimensional, hell even the two main characters are barely two-dimensional.
"But Komi-san also has one-dimensional characters!" In Komi-san's case, it's not a matter of inadequate writing, but a purposeful choice. Tadano Hitohito's name literally means "just a guy", referring to the fact that when put side-by-side with the beautiful schoolgirl Shouko, he seems painfully average in comparison. Osana Najimi's name literally means "childhood friend", which is funny since he is a childhood friend to probably the entire country of Japan. It's funny, and even if they have a single base, it doesn't become a crux - they're still entertaining even in their own archetypes. Tadano's normal, but because of this, he appreciates everyone around him. Najimi has a lot of friends, so he picks up on subtle cues easily, and so on and so forth.
In conclusion, I don't consider Amano Megumi a "bad" manga, since it depends on what you are reading it for. If you just want a one-chapter-a-day slice of life, similar to 60% of all anime in existence, then sure, by all means, there's ecchi too so you're entertained on top and down there. But if you to a 100+ chapter romance looking for a hefty supporting cast, main characters with depth, and interesting character dynamics, this isn't for you.
I don't like slice of life that's boring. "LIfe's boring, deal with it." Why would I read media that provides me the same amount of entertainment as my own life? I come here to read interesting stories and look at good art; if I wanted to see actual life I'll just watch the news or something.
I'd like to compare SoL manga to food. Komi-san is a meal plan where every dish is different - most of the time they aren't anything too special, but once in a while something good comes out, and the variety and surprise jump in quality keeps your palate refreshed. Amano Megumi on the other hand, is like an endless line of just sushi. Sure, it's good the first week or two, but even eating something as delicious as sushi will get boring if consumed day in and day out. I like sushi if you couldn't tell so just substitute it with your favourite food if you don't get it.

That's all I've got, if you would like to discuss further ping me and we can either do it here or maybe in the DMs - having a discussion is always fun.

Fed-Kun's army
0k2ms0ugebn51.jpg

@b4nji Indeed, and Komi-san has many more characters and they actually have a role to play in the story. Here, the author struggles with more two characters at a time. Your sushi analogy is pretty much on the money. If Maa-kun actually started to like new girl and there was some tension then that would be great as it would be something other than "24/7 sushi". I feel that this series is very much like Nisekoi where you can jump 10 to 50+ chapters and nothing would be different, just endless god-damn sushi.

@SupremeDoc The saying "A picture speaks a thousand words" is very true. If Maa-kun's eye line was just a bit lower, at the level of her boobs, then it would be even better imho.

233 Chapters. Has there been any progress?

last time i asked this question when it was around 150 chapters.

to the people who say "iTs a sLiCe oF LiFe" it has been 200+ chapters now, stop using this bs excuse. there are tons of manga with romance+SoL combination and they are way better than this piece of shit.
the artist is nothing but a troll who is milking this manga cuz ppl wont stop reading this bs

Contributor
@abe_09
233 Chapters. Has there been any progress?

In a way, yes. After 200 chapters of nothing, a real love rival is coming in the story.
And for me, she's much better than Amano. But obviously she will never win
2x

and
of course a new waifu has appeared. I don't dislike her character but 90 cents says she's gonna be here to create drama and then disappear once her purpose is served

Contributor
@Red2005dragon

How is she better then Amano ?
She's a Gyaru, that's enough for me (⌐■_■)

Joke aside, i just don't like Amano as a character for a lot of reasons, and i'm just glad we have something happening now.

It would probably be better if Fujishiro was here 200 chapters ago tho, instead of being introduced now.

Users who are viewing this thread