• Absolutely...

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Without a doubt-

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • He's swell!

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters
Dex-chan lover
I was told I should make my 1000th comment special, so since the counts include threads, here we are.

A brief history of my favorite topic:

I was born in a moderately sized Midwestern US city, and at the age of three-and-a-half, moved with my parents (coincidentally also both pandas) to a slightly larger Midwestern US city. After a fulfilling childhood spent eating bamboo, realizing bamboo is disgusting, and switching to bacon cheeseburgers, I decided to strike out on my own and make a living as a musician. Four years, one Bachelor of Arts, and $15K* of student debt later, I reconsidered - being a professional musician is hard and pays like crap, and I am lazy and require the finest bacon cheeseburgers. So I moved back in with my parents and spent most of the following decade as a dope-smoking NEET panda. However, I was eventually informed this was not a viable long term career path by the local constabulary^, so I cleaned up, found a desk job, and became a neat panda^^.

At some point during my college days, I was introduced to anime the same way all young men were at that time (DBZ), and from there branched out into manga, and genres of both types of media which aren't kinda dumb shonen. Today, most of my intake of both is comedy. In my free time, I enjoy listening to records and working on a lethal virus that specifically targets isekai authors.

A few of my better moments:

[REFERENCE NOT FOUND]

I want to thank all of you for being a part of this fantastic journey here on MD, and to tell each and every one of you that you're special, and I love you just the way you are. I hope for many more good times together here in the forums.

But not right now. It's bacon cheeseburger time, bitches.

*In retrospect, this is a very small number. For those of you going to US colleges or universities today - good luck.

^Remember when that shit used to be illegal? If you're smoking it as much as I was, you probably can't remember that. Or much of anything else.

^^See what I did there?

Dex-chan lover
Congrats on your 1000th message!
tenor.gif

Dex-chan lover
Yep, music is classist and hit or miss, nothing can change that. But I'm sure that you can still play with your dialy intake of bamboo shots bacon cheeseburgers! Become a panda Vtuber, upload your songs and you'll leave a greater track!

Dex-chan lover
I was told I should make my 1000th comment special, so since the counts include threads, here we are.

A brief history of my favorite topic:

I was born in a moderately sized Midwestern US city, and at the age of three-and-a-half, moved with my parents (coincidentally also both pandas) to a slightly larger Midwestern US city. After a fulfilling childhood spent eating bamboo, realizing bamboo is disgusting, and switching to bacon cheeseburgers, I decided to strike out on my own and make a living as a musician. Four years, one Bachelor of Arts, and $15K* of student debt later, I reconsidered - being a professional musician is hard and pays like crap, and I am lazy and require the finest bacon cheeseburgers. So I moved back in with my parents and spent most of the following decade as a dope-smoking NEET panda. However, I was eventually informed this was not a viable long term career path by the local constabulary^, so I cleaned up, found a desk job, and became a neat panda^^.

At some point during my college days, I was introduced to anime the same way all young men were at that time (DBZ), and from there branched out into manga, and genres of both types of media which aren't kinda dumb shonen. Today, most of my intake of both is comedy. In my free time, I enjoy listening to records and working on a lethal virus that specifically targets isekai authors.

A few of my better moments:

[REFERENCE NOT FOUND]

I want to thank all of you for being a part of this fantastic journey here on MD, and to tell each and every one of you that you're special, and I love you just the way you are. I hope for many more good times together here in the forums.

But not right now. It's bacon cheeseburger time, bitches.

*In retrospect, this is a very small number. For those of you going to US colleges or universities today - good luck.

^Remember when that shit used to be illegal? If you're smoking it as much as I was, you probably can't remember that. Or much of anything else.

^^See what I did there?
I just realized today panda is 44

Hope can see more wisdom from you. sorry if it's rude but are you married?

Dex-chan lover
I just realized today panda is 44
:haa:
Hope can see more wisdom from you. sorry if it's rude but are you married?
No Mrs. Panda - I dated a little in college and realized pretty quickly that wasn't really for me. Having seen a few good relationships (my parents, for one) and a lot of bad ones, a good relationship is a lot of work to maintain, and I've just never found a person who made me think 'they're worth it' (at least, that wasn't already in a relationship with someone else).

The good news is that it is possible to be content AND single (source: me).

Dex-chan lover
Yep, music is classist and hit or miss, nothing can change that. But I'm sure that you can still play with your dialy intake of bamboo shots bacon cheeseburgers! Become a panda Vtuber, upload your songs and you'll leave a greater track!
Dunno about Vtubing, but you did send me down a rabbit hole to dig up a lost corner of the internet (which needed some dusting off to be presentable...). I will warn you that everything there is well over a decade old (in some cases, closer to two), but it's almost all me writing (except for the one cover), all me singing, me playing (two tracks are my old band, and one other has the drummer from that band on the drums; everything else is played by me), and my mixing (in)abilities. Enjoy at your own risk. (I would embed one of them, but ReverbNation's not on the list of media... :meguuusad: )

Dex-chan lover
Holy shit you have 84 followers on Reverb Nation, your music reverbed within their souls

Question since you're a music grad: People say "anyone can write/draw if they start using they keyboard/picking pen", but do you think anyone can make music? I feel like the starting point is slightly higher.

Edit: their* my bad it's 2 in the morning or something

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Holy shit you have 84 followers on Reverb Nation, your music reverbed within their souls

Question since you're a music grad: People say "anyone can write/draw if they start using they keyboard/picking pen", but do you think anyone can make music? I feel like the starting point is slightly higher.
Almost anyone can make music. There are a handful of truly tone-deaf and rhythmically-challenged folks who legitimately can't, but even if you're just one of those things you can probably find a way to make music that uses what you've got. And there's nothing wrong with sticking to performing other people's work - lots of people make good livings doing that, and there are plenty of gigs for cover bands.

HOWEVER, when it comes to writing, if you just rely on happy accidents to come up with pretty sounds, you're going to run out of material rather quickly. Despite what some folks would have you believe, learning music theory isn't 'restricting' any more than taking a class on perspective or the human form would be to an artist. It does lay out some common foundations for 'why' music works the way it does, and it's possible to fall into the basics and write 'bland' music, but as with most arts, knowing the 'rules' and also knowing when and how to bend or break them seems to me to be the most consistent way to get good output.

Banned
Almost anyone can make music. There are a handful of truly tone-deaf and rhythmically-challenged folks who legitimately can't, but even if you're just one of those things you can probably find a way to make music that uses what you've got. And there's nothing wrong with sticking to performing other people's work - lots of people make good livings doing that, and there are plenty of gigs for cover bands.

HOWEVER, when it comes to writing, if you just rely on happy accidents to come up with pretty sounds, you're going to run out of material rather quickly. Despite what some folks would have you believe, learning music theory isn't 'restricting' any more than taking a class on perspective or the human form would be to an artist. It does lay out some common foundations for 'why' music works the way it does, and it's possible to fall into the basics and write 'bland' music, but as with most arts, knowing the 'rules' and also knowing when and how to bend or break them seems to me to be the most consistent way to get good output.
angry panda the rock

Dex-chan lover

Is there any order or learning curve of subjects to tackle when it comes to composing? (Similar to learning anatomy and perspective point before learning surface texture/material)

Felt like I asked questions that can be googled easily so sorry if I came across as annoying, but talking to music people always got my blood pumped cuz I like getting answers directly from people who actually know the stuff they're doing through studies and all that

Dex-chan lover
Is there any order or learning curve of subjects to tackle when it comes to composing? (Similar to learning anatomy and perspective point before learning surface texture/material)

Felt like I asked questions that can be googled easily so sorry if I came across as annoying, but talking to music people always got my blood pumped cuz I like getting answers directly from people who actually know the stuff they're doing through studies and all that
Not exactly, though based on my experience most folks probably have something like:

Learning to read music (usually for whatever instrument they play/voice part they sing)
Basic music theory (scales, basic chords, simple circle-of-fifths harmonic progressions)
Basic form (two and three part structure, simple pop-song form, etc.)
More advanced theory/harmony (more complicated progressions, substitutions for classical/jazz idioms)
Some orchestration/arranging
More advanced form (larger structures, sonata form)
(Maybe counterpoint and/or crazy 20th Century stuff)

Normally there's some history in there somewhere too, though what that looks like and where it lands will really depend on what type of music you're studying.

Most formal programs (at a college/university or academy) will follow something like what I've laid out above, and the front end of that seems to be included in a lot of instrumental methods (piano or violin lessons, for instance).

Dex-chan lover

So you got the technique but you're missing in content? Well, I must say that when it comes to writing I stopped doing poetry when I run out of reasons to write, I could write with the most complex structures and use plenty of literary forms but then the only thing that came to my mind was mocking someone, so that was the end. It's like Arthur Rimbaud, you bring in everything while you're young and then you move to do business. If that business in in the music industry or not... it's like a dice roll. Dang, now Mallarmé, that's why I avoid talking about writing.

Users who are viewing this thread