Any Suggestions?

Dex-chan lover
I have Thoroughly Enjoyed: One Piece, Baki, Jojo, Thus Spoke Rohan Kishibe, Fist of the North Star, Fist of the Blue Sky, Akira, Sakon-Record of the Sengoku Upheaval, Ikusa no Ko (What little is translated sadly). And I am currently in the middle of reading. One Piece, Jojolands, Yuenchi, Baki Rahen, and am One Volume into "The Ravages of Time" and "Hajime no Ippo"! I was going to give Kengan Ashura a chance, but since all the translated chapters seem to have vanished off this site I'll forgo the series until they return. I won't sink money into a series unless I know it's good, and I have a policy nowadays of not watching the show until I've seen the source. (But, one can say I should take a chance and buy a volume wherever they're available... Which I may, but that'll be far in the future...)
So, any suggestions?
I am going to attempt Kingdom, Jujustsu Kaisen, Yu Yu Hakusho, Fairy Tail, Seven Deadly Sins, and perhaps even Ao Aoishi after the current two I'm One Volume into. But, for now I'd like something else to peak my interests!
I'm contemplating "Sunyu of the Shadowless", "Records of the Mystic Gardens", "Way to Heaven", "Legend of Tyr", "Saiyuki", and "Yongbi the Invincible" but who knows if the first chapter will sell me in those. So what do you think?
My Turn Offs in a series are: Sexual Violence, and Romantic Tribulations such as love triangles and what not! They're absolute "No-Nos" as some say. (I hate love games, comes with seeing too much hallmark, cheesy teen-novel adaptions and rom-coms... Though the latter of which I kinda enjoyed since I do like a good love story which is goofy too. Thank you Mom! The "Sexual Violence" thing... I just... it scares the heck out of me, whatever I saw when i was 9 and accidentally picked up that Berserk Volume at the bookstore in curiosity has me scarred for life, and makes me visually gag each time I see a volume. What's weird is I don't even remember what I saw!)
What!? It's a simple aversion! I judge off a first chapter, though that isn't saying much since when I started One Piece 6-7 years ago I was like "Oh, It feels like a series which is more for boredom or when I need a pick-me-up", but after rereading the first chapter like a month later I discovered how godly it was and sadly ditched MHA for the proceeding 6 years. Would you believe the First Chapter of Jojo Part 1 sold me on the entire series, and the first Chapter of Part 3 had me take a break from it for a week, with the jarring introduction of stands? Love the series though! Sry, I can jabber all day!

My Loves are Fantasy and if there's a Good Sci-Fi, Humor and Heart, Emotion without the need of extremes, and if extremes good narrative reason and not just shock-factor, and No Isekai... Well, I'm being rude... Maybe One Day, since I loved the OG: THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA (XD) but, not until the genre has cemented some mainstays. Or peaked my interest enough for me to take it seriously.
Yes, I'm peculiarly particular, consider it a challenge if you will. wow me! Please, Cuz I want to add something else to my Reading Roster!

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I mean, since you're reading shonen (or action seinen) you're going in the right direction if you want to stay faithful to the genre, but the "Sexual Violence" tag is nowadays found everywhere and it's more a bait than anything. Since you've read Jojo, the newest work (the ninth, after Jojolion) has it because of the first chapter but the series itself is trash since the author is burnout due an unending series. Since you dislike isekai and look for fantasy, comedy and good narrative I could recommend you Isekai Ojisan, a good isekai parody. Any way or another, I always recommend broadening your horizons, just check works with different tags. Sometimes Anilist (in this case the manga section) gives good recommendations if you are looking things similar to the series you're at.

Dex-chan lover
Safe recs:
Kaiji, if you haven't already given it a try. A slight bit outside the style of the other series you listed, but I feel you would probably still enjoy it. The first arc alone makes it well worth picking up.

Of the ones you already picked, I'll also third Kingdom.

Side recs:
Ashita no Joe. Really solid boxing manga that influenced a lot of stuff after it. Despite the first few chapters being a more cartoonish, typical 60s style of comic, a lot of those more comedic characters are soon pushed to the background. It quickly turns into a surprisingly restrained story about a self-destructive guy just struggling and fighting to find somewhere he belongs, yet never entirely managing to fit in with others. The sort of comic that keeps getting better the further in it you go*. Since you're quite open to older-style series, I heartily recommend giving it a shot.

Fantasy-wise, Dungeon Meshi also just finished and is a real treat. Lot of humor, heart, classic dungeon-delving and a zero tolerance-policy for romantic tribulations.

Dark horse rec:
Hinamatsuri. ESP comedy manga. Nowhere remotely close to your listed preferences, but it's very good. Give it a try if you're curious and want to try something drastically different.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Witch Hat Atelier

Magical girls manga but actually good. Scanlation cuts off at ch 68 but you can find English translations online.

Dorohedoro

You will have to force yourself through the art style and quality of the art to let yourself enjoy the plot. Great manga though and the quality gets way better after ch 14 or something.

Contributor
Dorohedoro

You will have to force yourself through the art style and quality of the art to let yourself enjoy the plot. Great manga though and the quality gets way better after ch 14 or something.
I was suggesting it, but I changed my mind because I wasn't sure he would like it. But yeah def a good sugestion!

Dex-chan lover
Witch Hat Atelier

Magical girls manga but actually good. Scanlation cuts off at ch 68 but you can find English translations online.

Dorohedoro

You know, I've always wanted to read Dorohedoro.... It's always seemed fascinating!

Dex-chan lover
Grass man... grass. After a long watch touch some, burn some 🔥 👌, sniff all.

I tell you worth it after every episode. Makes the shows ... more lively!

It should be legal since it is GRASS.

Users who are viewing this thread