Anyone feel mangadex is reaaaallly slow?

Feels like image loading is really slow. It’s kinda unbearable to the point some images failed to load and changing chapter means loading all over again. Kinda curious where did you guys host the server, is it only in one region without load balancer? My ISP kinda have a problem to some region (like battle.net for example) but otherwise it should be really fast. Is there any option? Vpn somehow doesn’t help at all. I can load 1080p 60fps video on youtube way faster than loading a single page in mangadex 😭

Solution
Just as a reminder having a fast connection to one website doesn't mean you will have fast connections to all websites. The big players on the internet(Cloudflare, Google, Meta, Netflix,etc.) pay ISPs tons of money to basically host their servers directly on the ISP's network. Mangadex obviously does not have that kind of luxury.

Usually using a VPN solves speed problems as it allows you to bypass your ISP's shitty traffic routing/throttling.

Edit (to address the "but other manga sites"): Some sites are hosted on or via Cloudflare which in turn gives them better peering offered by Cloudflare shelling out money. Obviously running a pirate site on Cloudflare is against their tos, but as long as they don't get reported or use too much...
I have the same problem and it is not the ISP(in my case). I can be really fast but most of the time its very slow and 1 out of 20/30 images failes to load. I don't have that problem with any other manga site. And it got worse in the last months.
I am in Germany atm ant use 1&1 AG as ISP.

Contributor
Just as a reminder having a fast connection to one website doesn't mean you will have fast connections to all websites. The big players on the internet(Cloudflare, Google, Meta, Netflix,etc.) pay ISPs tons of money to basically host their servers directly on the ISP's network. Mangadex obviously does not have that kind of luxury.

Usually using a VPN solves speed problems as it allows you to bypass your ISP's shitty traffic routing/throttling.

Edit (to address the "but other manga sites"): Some sites are hosted on or via Cloudflare which in turn gives them better peering offered by Cloudflare shelling out money. Obviously running a pirate site on Cloudflare is against their tos, but as long as they don't get reported or use too much bandwidth Cloudflare will never know.

Last edited:
Solution
Dex-chan lover
Feels like image loading is really slow. It’s kinda unbearable to the point some images failed to load and changing chapter means loading all over again. Kinda curious where did you guys host the server, is it only in one region without load balancer? My ISP kinda have a problem to some region (like battle.net for example) but otherwise it should be really fast. Is there any option? Vpn somehow doesn’t help at all. I can load 1080p 60fps video on youtube way faster than loading a single page in mangadex 😭
Better run some AV and check if there are malware running.

Dex-chan lover
Free Manga Man, I ain't complaining, after Mangareader.to decided to try and slip me some viruses and got dem nasty ads I'm glad I found Mangadex! I don't care if it's a little slow sometimes, as long as I get to read my manga!

Edit (to address the "but other manga sites"): Some sites are hosted on or via Cloudflare which in turn gives them better peering offered by Cloudflare shelling out money. Obviously running a pirate site on Cloudflare is against their tos, but as long as they don't get reported or use too much bandwidth Cloudflare will never know.
Yeah usually vpn solve the problem buts somehow mangadex just refuse to it :(

Free Manga Man, I ain't complaining, after Mangareader.to decided to try and slip me some viruses and got dem nasty ads I'm glad I found Mangadex! I don't care if it's a little slow sometimes, as long as I get to read my manga!
It’s beyond sometimes, I don’t really mind slow loading but there will always be one/two pages that won’t load no matter how many times i refresh it. There should be way around it like? I thought mangadex have lite option to reduce the image size before this version, so at least the http connection wont timeout even though the quality would be worse. Better than looking at blank page

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
I thought mangadex have lite option to reduce the image size before this version
Settings -> Data Saver, it's still there.

Also, you can quote multiple posts at once, you don't need to make a separate post for each reply.

Dex-chan lover
It's always been slow, but the changing chapter and everything reloads thing is new...

Oh wow, the free, no-ads manga reading website Mangareader.to that is totally not owned by a giant piracy ring tried to serve you the nasties? MangaDex does too jk unless... 😳

Users who are viewing this thread