Ao Ashi - Vol. 5 Ch. 42 - A (3)

I don't know man... The players I was around would be pretty clear in telling me what I did wrong back then. Maybe I'm wrong but there's not need for this kind of drama (and worse! It's an end of chapter cliffhanger!). Also it drags on for way too long. The rest is great though!

Double-page supporter
jeez everyone is kind of an asshole and waaay too overdramatic here. Don't know if I'll keep up with this one for long

Why is everyone so passive aggressive?! There's drama inherent to the sport so it's frustrating to see it artificially created through petulant silence. Just fucking tell him it was a feint or whatever - don't be such drama queens about it.

Power Uploader
Are we just going to pretend chapters 32 and 33 where the graduates losing trust in Ashito didn't already happen? They already tried communicating with him before but their voices fell on our MCs deaf ears.

Double-page supporter
This is kinda fucking dumb. No teammate/coach will be like hey," figure this shit yourself. " It's a learning process not a fucking test everytime they play.

Power Uploader
@Melvin
Feeding the answers every time they hit an obstacle sure is the best way to raise players. Look at things from the other perspective. What incentive do the graduates have in trying to look out for Ashito? Someone who's as incompetent as him is sure to get dropped by the team the same way their friends were. What's insulting for them is he's clearly worse than the people who were dropped (in their eyes). As for the coach, he already had reservations of about Ashito's abilities so if he doesn't figure this out, less work for him.

I don't play football, anyone care to explain what he did wrong? Passing it laterally? Not explaining what he was going to do?

@MyLifeIsTwilight
Not sure since we don't get a good look at the whole thing, but if I have to take a guess he either passed it to the "decoy" or he passed it despite seeing the opponent going to close the gap.
Than again, I could be totally wrong but that's what I think about from what we see.

Double-page supporter
@gintamacountry I get that but the coach not doing anything is just a toxic coach that should be fired asap. I'm pretty sure the graduates themselves look bad if they don't work together with Aoi. Maybe they're too selfish to realize that but it's just slightly annoying since their performances are not independent of each other. And as someone who played football, I find it hard to believe that no one would even tell him based on pure frustration.

Power Uploader
@Melvin
How about this for a thought. It hasn't even been a week/month since the first years arrived. If he has to be more hands on with coaching, he eventually will. People are acting like Ashito's been thrown into the woods when barely any time has passed yet. Giving young players time to sort things out on their own is good coaching.

wow, I love this coach right now

I played youth soccer before and we are usually practicing as a unit rather than play football every day. The only time when offensive and defensive unit play together is at a transition phase. Of course, no drama like this manga but we did bickering or had a quarrel for something trivial like who take FK or penalty

Double-page supporter
@gintamacountry I disagree on it being good coaching but in football, there really isn't a clear cut way to determine what is good coaching or not. I can see why you think it is but I personally think it's detrimental to his development. Casting a player out with zero feedback besides telling him to receive the ball?! I think that's just not good enough. Even if it's been a week/month, how can your coaches absolve all responsibility to your youth players you are supposed to be coaching? It's one thing to let him figure it out, it's another to not even do the proper basics of coaching.

maybe because he holds the ball for too much time, and he's still trying to dribble past Akutsu due to his own ego instead of passing the ball quickly

@Melvin the thing is, i think what's important in youth football is whether you know the answer by yourself. considering that he's basically stupid, raw skill doesn't cut it. Maybe the coach want Aoi to hone his way of thinking, since it will be pointless if he's given answer all the time without actually knowing how to find it out himself

Double-page supporter
@Duckiedoggo I think it's fine that way but the coach has do like something? I feel like it's not enough or anything at all. I think it could have been done so much better if the coach wanted him to find stuff out by himself. It reeks of forced drama at this point.

Power Uploader
@Melvin
forced drama
there it is. the buzzword for "development i don't like"
again, spoon feeding a player every time they hit a wall only serves to compromise their development.
being in a facility surrounded by countless resources, whether it's actual materials or people, ashito has everything in his disposal to figure this out. he's not in the woods, he's in one of the best places in the country to develop as a player.
did all your teachers at school just give you the answer to all your questions even when you didn't do any of the reading/homework?
but of course, everyone wants to blame the meanies who won't play nice to MC rather than MC himself who's the most complicit in digging himself in this hole.

Double-page supporter
@gintamacountry I don't think you get what I'm saying so I'll just give up already. It's okay to let a player breathe and find his own feet but there's a difference in not spoon feeding someone and literally not helping the player at all. If these coaches are really elite, then they should at least do something (fucking anything). A good example would be the Aoi's friend when he showed how to open up his body when receiving the ball. And then Aoi instinctively understood and trained to work on it.

These coaches HAS DONE FUCKING NOTHING, but sit around and set up scrimmages. I'm not saying they should spoonfeed Aoi, but Jesus christ, just have a small talk with him or something.

Thank you for the chapter.

Looking at all these comments going back and forward about the actual development of youth players makes me even more certain that this manga has a very real feeling to it.
Which is a nice breath of fresh air in these sports mangas with young MCs.

Users who are viewing this thread