Ao no Flag

Dex-chan lover
Holy shit, chapter 53. I can't stop laughing at that twist. Looking forward to the finale this week.

Contributor
Lovely ending that is not only thematically perfect for the series but will also upset the right people. Ya love to see it. 🤗

My only little little disapointment with the last chapter:
they should have both finished with somebody else, like the others. Why? Because due to the ellipse, we do not know what happened and it feels like Taichi has been "obliged" by the power of feelings toward only THAT person.
But anyway, still a good read. Like with "Cross manage", Kaito is great. Lookinf for his next work.

Dex-chan lover
Does it even work like that? Can a straight person suddenly turn gay, or vice-versa? Or did he come to realize he was bi-sexual all along?

>Does it even work like that? Can a straight person suddenly turn gay, or vice-versa? Or did he come to realize he was bi-sexual all along?
yes and more welcome to sexuality homie

Holy crap!!! I'm really happy for
Touma (and Taichi), but I wasn't really expecting the author to actually have them end up together. (I guess both Masumi and Taichi are bisexual, then?)

Ahhh seriously, the ending was so sweet :)

EDIT: Just realized, spoilers

@Moodyz I've heard that sexuality is fluid, so your preferences can change over time, though I don't know if anyone goes from being straight to gay (unless they've been in denial). In any case, I'm guessing he's bisexual. There's that conversation with Masumi's
husband, where he talks about being jealous when Masumi is around both women and men, and Touma says it's the same for him.

EDIT: Spoilers

Double-page supporter
Like a few people here I read the chapter elsewhere and I'm personally a bit disapointed with the ending.
Nothing suggested both these characters were bisexual, and cramming that revelation in a big ellipsis feels awkward. I see Taichi marrying Touma as fan service that goes slightly against the themes of the manga: everyone's different in their own ways and it's all fine, sometimes it doesn't end well for some of us because the person we like literally can't return our feelings, that's life, sadly. Making them end up together feels forced because we don't see the relationship developping that way. But people want it, time skip it away, and bam! "they end up together btw, somehow"
But mostly I don't understand the author's motivations for Masumi. She was struggling with having feelings for other women, make her end up with a woman! That feels the most natural way to end the story for her. If Touma can end up happy with a man, why not make Masumi happy with a woman? Once again, we get development during a huge narrative ellipsis, which feels weird and kind of undercuts her arc a little.
It's nice and all, everyone ends up happy but i'm not entirely convinced.

Dex-chan lover
HAHAHAHA
She settled and married a discount, literally-who male Futaba! And she got invited to the wedding, no less! Not feeling so superior now are you Masumi, you lesbian drama queen? God, what an ending.

Power Uploader
Not sure what I think of this ending... I think Elki summed it up pretty much what I also think.

Double-page supporter
The author insunated that masumi is still lesbian and that shearried that guy because she considered him special enough to transcend gender, for all we know he probably aint having the S.E.X

For a manga that was aiming to be serious and realistic, this ending is a slap in the face.
What a shitshow.

Dex-chan lover
I'm reading at a bunch of places and even japanese comments that Masumi's husband is actually trans, and that some of the dialogue seem to insinuate it.

Dex-chan lover
I can't help but feel like the ending was caused by conflict with the magazine or editors.
It seemed like the Mangaka had in mind for Touma to wind up the winner (of course the last arc didn't insinuate this at all). Homosexuality is obviously still something that isn't acceptable in large portions of the world, it seemed obvious that Touma would likely have a hard time with his older brother over it. Hell, Touma even backed out of admitting the truth to him in the final arc that we had. But that's sort of the point to me. I think the editors or powers that be told the mangaka 'you can't have a manga where the main character falls in love with a man over a woman', their reasoning likely being that the ratings would drop and it wouldn't sell. So when thinking about the ending with this in mind, it makes sense to me. I'm certainly not happy about it. I don't feel like anyone had a proper ending. It was all over the place. Plenty of side-characters were shafted for no reason. We never saw any of Touma's friends or Mami or anyone! Touma didn't see his family (brother/sister-in-law) to talk about his coming out. It's all just skipped over.

I feel that the series was done preeeeetty well up until this ending. I think there were a few times that the characters seemed too... smart? As though the mangaka was simply speaking through the character. I also don't like how the one guy who attacked Touma had to have been a rape victim in order to rationalize why he hated homosexual men. I'm not saying it's unrealistic, but realistically people hate homosexuals for almost any reason under the sun. The way they talk, act, or even dress for examples. It's like the Mangaka had to come up with a sure-fire plan to make it to where you couldn't hate this side character for his reasoning. Which drew me out of the argument a little. Characters can act unreasonably, just like people, they can have short-comings and be stubborn. And that's exactly what made me like Touma as a character.

I wish we had more time to have Touma come to terms with his sexuality and become open about it. I wish we had more time for the main relationship to have a conclusion. Or for Masumi to come to terms with her own sexuality as she was always shown to be a parallel to Touma. More side-character conclusions. And so on and so forth. Such a shame. I see people recommending other series like Yugami, and yeah, go read something that has a decent conclusion.

So you're reading dragon ball. Everything is going fine, they defeat every enemy and then, in the last chapter, after a time skip, you see goku destroying the earth. You don't know why, the whole story never gave you a single hint of something like that happening, he just does.

Thats ao no flag ending.

Dex-chan lover
This was a good read, really good read, it delves into human emotions very well, and it certainly has this charm of a well tell manga.
But the ending, the last two chapters have been... really hard to digest.
I wish these characters well, I really do. But to suddenly see them different from what they have been portraying until now, it just... confusing. None of this ending makes sense with what I have seen from these characters plot. It feels like everything just snaps into an alternate timeline. If this has more chapters to explain the sudden change, if only it has an explanation to tell, then I'll be fine with this ending.
But it doesn't. And that saddens and confuses me.

Users who are viewing this thread