April Showers Bring May Flowers

Dex-chan lover
"Masochistic system unpopular girl comedy!" is a very different story from "A comedy with a self-deprecating, unpopular girl!"! It looks cute though!

Group Leader
@icarushector The actual word used can mean masochistic but I had to look up some synonyms in Japanese dictionaries and got self-deprecating.

Aggregator gang
Wow her design really plain AF compare to other supposedly 'plain' female character.

I hate it when people say ugly this ugly that like obsessing on the fact someone is ugly or is not is not cool obsession on appearances is not cool at all tbh

Contributor
Well, compared to the shoujo versions of the same plot, seinen definitely has the advantage that the art style (and genre conventions) actually do allow for drawing at at least a somewhat reasonably plain-looking protagonist. (Though they of course still made her low-key cute, because actually ugly? That would be going too far... *eye roll* HAVE SOME DAMN COURAGE YOU AUTHORS. Too damn worried about whether an actually ugly protagonist will sell, the lot of ya')

Double-page supporter
The demographic is anything but seinen. Not my cup of tea.

Dex-chan lover
Ok let's be honest. This girl isn't ugly, she's average at worst. Seriously, I've seen FAR worse looking characters than a girl with a rounded face, glasses and freckles. Maybe in comparison to the hyper perfect faces and features of other manga characters she's "Ugly" (even by that standard she's still pretty average), but just looking at her and her character design, she's - well, not ugly.

I get it though, she still has to be visually appealing for someone to want to read the manga, but I feel the title is more than a bit of a bait and switch by the author. She's "ugly" but not "too ugly" you know? Hit me with that "Ugly MC" title when she's 7K pounds, covered in hair, has a unibrow with teeth and a chin that rival Deviljho.

Users who are viewing this thread