Are these types of chapter uploads allowed?

Contributor
So these may all seem like troll type of uploads, but the intent isn't to troll. And the translations would be more or less correct. My personal reasoning for thinking about doing any of these are kind of on shaky ground, but the thought did occur, and so now I'm curious on if it's okay to do so if I were to ever think about doing it.

Incomplete-but-will-be-completed chapters
Basically, a chapter that hasn't been fully scanlated. But you do plan to finish it at some point (at an undetermined time), and are just putting it up for whatever reason comes to mind.

Perpetually-incomplete chapters
Similar to above, but there are no plans to ever scanlate the missing pages. So one may upload incomplete chapters 1, 2, 3, etc, but will never complete them.

Splitting a single chapter into multiple sub-chapters
For example, let's say chapter 1 has 10 pages. Is it okay to upload each page individually (chapter 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc)? Or maybe they want to split it up into 5 separate sub-chapters; whatever.

Contributor
Scanlators don't really have an obligation to finish what they have started. They aren't really bound to what the readers want to read.

As for the splitting part, sometimes it's the author that splits it that way and sometimes the chapter is too big for the upload limit or the scanlator has decided to cut it in chunks so that it wouldn't become a burden of a chapter (You know, ungrateful people are angry why their 30+ page chapter aren't released weekly).

Contributor
Yeah but I'm speaking more of what's okay to do if it's not how the original manga was set up to be.

is a Reindeer
VIP
@MooPoint Don't split up chapters unnecessarily, don't upload incomplete chapter translations of any kind

Contributor
I've seen "incomplete-but-will-be-completed" chapters happen a few times already. There are also some groups who do that just to screw with other sites that scrape MangaDex.

Perhaps a more explicit statement should be added to the rules page (assuming the people actually reads it lol)?

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@MooPoint posted:

I've seen "incomplete-but-will-be-completed" chapters happen a few times already.
New ones or just old stuff from before MD was created?`Because for the latter, there's not really anything we can do. If you see someone uploading half-finished chapters nowadays, report them.

Contributor
New ones (post MD conception).

I doubt most people would report, especially since it's not an explicit rule.

Users who are viewing this thread