Asuperu Kanojo - Vol. 2 Ch. 11 - 10 Seconds

Dex-chan lover
@Pibata check page 13 - "yokoi-san wants to help people like her" - maybe she felt jealous or has abandonment issues and felt replaced

Double-page supporter
massive respect for the dude yokoi-san, he's so fucking chill

Dex-chan lover
man, i hope this doesn't get axed, for once an interesting story with interesting characters

@Tamerlane Generalise harder.
First, there's no playbook that dictates exactly what autistic people do and do not.
Second, there are clearly other reasons, e.g. abuse, PTSD, that set a precedent for her to lash out in this way, exacerbated in stressful situations by her communication issues.

Dex-chan lover
Technically things like the DSM-5 will qualify what behaviors are associated with being on the spectrum. My issues are more that there definitely are behaviors that should have other diagnosis and traits that should be addressed lest it is ascribed to the condition. As it stands, I definitely think he's more likely to be on the spectrum than she is, at least speaking as a high-functioning autistic person.
@cunge

Dex-chan lover
The instant regret here, when she realizes what she did, it's something special.

Dex-chan lover
Saitou smacks people with full force huh? At least miss Shimizu doesn't seem upset.

Uhhh...I don't get it. She meets a woman but decides she doesn't like her based on Yokoi's personality? This makes no sense. I'm autistic, but I don't decide I hate people on sight unless I have good reason to, like if I saw them being racist or something.

Aggregator gang
@ou_ki
I think I found a typo. Page 3, bottom-right hand text box: “recusive.”

I’m guessing that it’s meant to be “recursive,” as in he repeatedly returns to the same grocery store. I’m not sure that that’s an adjective that’s commonly applied to people though. “Reclusive” is another possibility, but I’m not sure how that would be relevant to him going to the same grocer all the time.

Edit: I just looked at again, it must be “reclusive.” I confused the two leads’ names.

I’ve been binging this this evening and am enjoying it thoroughly. Thank you to you and your team for all of your hard work.

Dex-chan lover
@criver It's not abusive if you know what you're in for, and you can compartmentalise appropriately. Obviously that was physically abusive, but it wasn't meant as a mode of control.

Her problem here is that she hasn't learned appropriate coping strategies for her anxiety, because autistic people generally adopt them by mimicry (and are further limited by misunderstanding the significance of social actions). Having been used to isolation she has had no good opportunities to do so, even though she knows that the consequences of her outbursts aren't helping here. She doesn't expect to get away with it either, which would further suggest that she acted in the grip of "fight or flight" rather than malice or attempted coercion.

Dex-chan lover
@gronkle
It's not abusive if you know what you're in for
But it is. Doesn't matter whether you know what you're in for or whether the other person had "reasons". By all definitions of the word that was physical abuse, and that's ignoring the constant mental and emotional abuse. She may have her reasons - doesn't make it any less abuse.
That's also exactly how you may end up dead, because your partner knifed you in a moment of instability. Such people need professional help, as the MC should have learnt by now. I am sure the author will make it work out though, since it's a manga. Reality is not that forgiving though - there are enough horror stories of very similar dependent relationships that end up in tragedy.

Dex-chan lover
@criver Abuse within a relationship does not an abusive relationship make. An abusive relationship has abuse as part of how those in it relate to each other, where it is normalised and blamed on the other.
Also she isn't psychotic, she's anxious and depressed. The only person she is at risk of stabbing is herself. You're conflating things. People with life-long mental health issues can and do have healthy, if sometimes stressful, relationships. The partner in that relationship has to accept the mental illness and act appropriately. A professional isn't always near, and neither always appropriate. Often it's just about minimising risk factors and maximising the more lucid moments. It can become abusive, most often self-abusive due to poor coping strategies, but it's not by necessity. Even schizophrenics can, when lucid, maintain normal romantic relationships so long as the partner is equipped with the understanding and coping ability to deal with when they're not.
Codependence is another issue entirely, and can happen between people without real mental health issues. There it is about enabling and emotional blackmail. Nothing if the sort is happening in this manga.

Users who are viewing this thread