Awkward Senpai - Vol. 1 Ch. 9

Dex-chan lover
@So-chan Normally that bugs me but I'm struggling to find a good solution. "Coworkers who were highered the same cycle", is hard to convey in English in a single word. They aren't classmates necessarily. "Same year employees" maybe? Still clunky. This series uses "Senpai" in the title so we overlook that they don't refer to her as Senior.

@banjomarx Oh come on. What kind of manchild is going to be intimidated because some OLs are joining them?

Dex-chan lover
Okay, I'm slowly getting used to the side profiles...

I can't tell if it's him improving or me just adapting to it.

Dex-chan lover
@Ironclad You can use something like "Same year employees" or "coworkers joining together" even if it's clunky once and then just call them coworkers. I don't think it's THAT important to the plot that you have to keep being so precise about this.

Dex-chan lover
good on you striptease for releasing chapters for multiple mangas in rapid succession, really appreciate the work y'all are doing.

@Ironclad In the Japanese workplace, there's a bit of a hierarchy system where the people who have worked there the longest have more say than someone who hasn't worked there for very long. So it's very difficult to say no to someone with more seniority than you. This includes things as small as accepting a drink to something as big as accepting to do someone else's work. That being said, people aren't normally bullied, but at the same time, you can't say no to your "Senpai".

When the seniors invited themselves, they were deciding on the location and generally being really pushy. In real life, you'd be considered a huge ass if you invited yourself and changed their plans. But here, the "Kouhai"s can't say no, since it's considered rude.

Dex-chan lover
@Tehmora Exactly, there's a lot of context which is lost so finding a concise English equivalent is hard.

Dex-chan lover
So...is the Douki a girl? I seem to see a bust, but there's pants. And Senpai didn't go jelly or anything...

Users who are viewing this thread