Azadarake no Classmate ga Shinpai de - Vol. 1 Ch. 29

I work in children's social services and I would say at this point, the school would have made a referral to the police a long time ago, especially if a child presents at school looking like they went to round 10 with Mike Tyson.

If it works the similarly in Japan, if the child meets the criteria or being likely to/experiencing significant harm, they are put under a child protection plan by local government and eventually can be taken away from the parents.

In reality, a lot of children go under the radar and parents can disengage from the process to an extent. You can kind of weasel your way out of it by not engaging ("she fell down the stairs") but in this case it would be a bit weird for her to not be immediately picked up off the street by the police and put under emergency care but whatever

Dex-chan lover
I work in children's social services and I would say at this point, the school would have made a referral to the police a long time ago, especially if a child presents at school looking like they went to round 10 with Mike Tyson.

If it works the similarly in Japan, if the child meets the criteria or being likely to/experiencing significant harm, they are put under a child protection plan by local government and eventually can be taken away from the parents.

In reality, a lot of children go under the radar and parents can disengage from the process to an extent. You can kind of weasel your way out of it by not engaging ("she fell down the stairs") but in this case it would be a bit weird for her to not be immediately picked up off the street by the police and put under emergency care but whatever
Unfortunately from what I understand it doesn't work like this at all. There is a heavy "Don't get involved" habit going on there and unless someone actively reports them nothing will happen.
Granted this scenario is still unrealistic. Her injuries are so bad "someone" would have reported it by now and the evidence is so damning even the Girl admits that when she stayed at his place her parents going to the police would just get them arrested.
And once they are arrested? Yeah Japan has that insane conviction rate for a reason.

Group Leader
The comments in this thread are almost amusing at times. "Why wouldn't the police help her"? She'd said in previous chaps that they probably would, I think even implied it would probably happen, but she doesn't want to. Not because she cares about her parents, but because she'd be taken away from the MC. We're talking about a girl at rock bottom, who currently has nothing she can trust or bring herself to care about besides him, and it took her a long time to let herself care about him too. The idea of having the one person that gives her a reason to look forward to tomorrow taken from her is far scarier than having to spend more time in that hellish home; this's something very understandable in my opinion, and is the one reason that the only path where she'd be willing to leave the house is with him.

As a side note, yes Japan does have child protective services. Like in other countries they have a lot of flaws and some of the orphanages kids can be sent to are far from ideal. And there are serious issues due to gaps in ages for different laws: a lot of things like renting an apartment legally require a guarantor for anyone under 20, but the child protection system only lasts until 18, leaving them with two years where they can't stay at the orphanage but they're not likely to find anyone who'll give them lodging. Efforts are being made to improve this, thankfully. The core point though is that yes, flawed though it may be, Japan does have systems to take care of abused and neglected children.

Dex-chan lover
I'll link it again if necessary, but Japan has had a rising problem with child abuse(reported and otherwise) in the last few years. Many municipalities struggle to verify reports and act on them in a timely manner, with some reports falling through the cracks ending in fatalities for the children involved as well as those who reported the abuse.

Depending on where they live running away may actually be safer.
You can't say something negative about japan or the weebs come out and emoji strike your post 😭

Aggregator gang
Sooo…we’re getting the Toradora ending?? A bit meh but ill take it ig

Dex-chan lover
SAVIORFAGS, ROLL OUT!
Protip: caring for females is literally hardcoded in humans as a way to ensure survival of the species, because childbirth renders both the mother and the child helpless for an outstandingly long time due to the size of the brain and thus the head.

Dex-chan lover
Being an orphan is a reason to be stigmatized? WTF?!
An orphan is someone who has no family. Someone who doesn't have family is someone with a "problem". Or so is the first automatic assumption.

This is not just a Japan thing. Go to any Asian country, and people make a lot of immediate assumptions about unmarried young people who have no contact with their parents for whatever reason. Frankly, it's the same in the west too, just perhaps more veiled.

What IS a Japan thing is that many couples also aren't hot on taking in a foster child, so many orphans remain orphans. The family unit is traditionally built on a blood bond, so it is difficult for some people to accept someone who isn't related. Modern couples are also simply eschewing having kids foster or not, and that's also a trend in many first world countries.

I should add that whatever I've said above represents the norm taken relatively to other countries, combined with the extremes that happen. Japan is not some place where people spit on poor orphan children as they walk by or ignore bruised and injured children in need.

You can't say something negative about japan or the weebs come out and emoji strike your post 😭

As opposed to what? Bandwagoning on the "Japan so anti-social/cruel/backwards/lawless, I know because I read some 10 year old article by foreign activists, and I read manga where parents and police are scumbags?"

People tend to have pretty warped ideas about how social norms work in Japan based almost entirely on fiction and sensationalism. Let's not forget that...let's be honest now...many indie or hobby artists tend to be rather anti-social in real life or had less than ideal upbringings. Which is why they turned to the craft in the first place. There's a not-insignificant bias towards introverted and anti-social views in Japanese pop culture. The issues highlighted are not wrong, but often isn't the whole picture or emphasizes the extremes.

In reality, people are generally appreciative of each other, malcontents are rare, and the respect for privacy generally comes with acceptance that they don't need to know your circumstances.....and while they are indeed "racist", it's more like a recognition of "you are different and not us" rather than "you are lesser, or inferior". This isn't Imperial Japan. In the short times I've stayed there, I've never felt more welcomed and less excluded in a foreign country...except probably in Italy.

The country has problems, including in the area of child welfare, but it does no good to exaggerate them or misrepresent them.

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
She said in a previous chapter that if they get the police involved she would likely be transfered somewhere far and may never meet the classmate again

Dex-chan lover
What are the implications of "a situation she doesn't want to get in"?
It just seems strange to not call the police despite explicitly stating it's a viable option.
She said in a previous chapter she doesn't want to be separated from he and her parents/parent being arrested would cause her to have to move.

Users who are viewing this thread