Baki Dou (2018) - Ch. 40 - Versus Oozeki Kyogei

Dex-chan lover
Is this gonna be 6 chapters of sumo dudes beating extras to be hyped up before losing to the main cast? : /

@Kanami-chan The specialty of these series. Inoki and giant baba rip-off ? Extra badass and/or lengthy matches, at least when they were still relevant. But andre the giant ripoff ? One chapter match where he looked like a clown, then got his arm broken like a chump to advetise some random mook.

On this chapter, boring is the only thing i have to say. I hope the japanese public isn't nearly bored as me, or this baki serie will be axed soon™.

Dex-chan lover
These rikishi are super terrifying.

Also thanks for the translator's note! Very lovely to hear about the history of sumo a bit

Fed-Kun's army
Man, this is boring. We get it, sumo wrestlers are strong. Duh. Also, that new guy's "fatties are fatties" line... Really? Just gonna milk that cliche over and over? Maybe the author will redeem himself and this guy will actually give the rikishi a tough challenge, or maybe even win (lmao).

Double-page supporter
It's way too predictable man, why even show us this, it's obviously setup for baki or one of the other main series monsters crushing these guys like ants. We get it, they're strong, let's see them against pickle or musashi

Dex-chan lover
Again, old man. You SHOULDN'T be surprised at anything by now. You already witness Baki, Pickle, Musashi, and even Yujiro!

Dex-chan lover
Firstly, thanks for all the work translating and sharing these!

As for these current chapters, they are definitely an odd storytelling choice in regards to slowing the story pace down. I guess one plus is we are getting to see the enemy fighters and what they do, so when they fight our guys we have a bit more to go on then "they are big sumo men". Still, I can understand why folks find these chapters a bit frustrating - I am eager to get to the good stuff, heh.

I hope it's not just a repeat of the Raitai tournament where Baki & co schools everyone because that'd be boring, but I'm pretty sure that is the way it's gonna go...

Group Leader
As much as I love Baki Dou (2018), what I really want to see is Baki fighting Musashi 😂

@Dalek-Bob the problem is that the matches are so hideously one sided that it feels like it's STILL the case that all we know about them is that "they're big sumo men."
"One's a small sumo man but does the same stuff as the rest and just as well"

Users who are viewing this thread