BEASTARS - Vol. 8 Ch. 65 - The Value of Nonexistent Genes

Louis's character is much deeper and more interesting than I expected! Every time he begins to feel irredeemable, we get a small glimpse into what he's really thinking. On the outside he's cool and calculated but on the inside he's still very much a scared child. Even though he's shitty most of the time I can't help but root for him! Go gun deer

One of my favorite chapters. I really liked the bar scene. The reptile bartender is probably my favorite background character lol

Banned
Ugh... fuck... the translator did it again. Writing "an herbivore" for some deranged reason. Who makes a mistake like that twice?

@SotiCoto I'm fairly certain that there's technically no fully correct way to write that. Someone who's British would be more inclined to say "a herbivore," but an American would say "an herbivore" since they don't pronounce the "h" and just say "erbivore." There's no grammatically correct version here, it really just depends on where you're from.

Sorry for the long-ish explanation, I swear I'm not a total grammar nazi. Also sorry if your comment was just sarcasm lmao

Banned
@notafurryiswear : I don't know where Americans got into the habit of not pronouncing the "h" in "herb", especially since many of them have it as a name and actually pronounce the "h" then.
I'd imagine it could only be something along the lines of how they ended up misspelling and mispronouncing Aluminium: due to someone just fucking it up and the ignorant masses not realising it was wrong.

In any case, the correct usage is quite simply the one that acknowledges that "a" precedes words beginning with a consonant while "an" is for words beginning with a vowel. "H" is a consonant, ergo "a" is correct. American consistent failure to pronounce the "h" doesn't change that.

Anyhow... it isn't like I'm just biased against the American way of doing things. Technically speaking, my use of quotation marks is the American style, since if I was doing things the British way I'd only be using singles instead of doubles (but I don't because singles are too easily confused for apostrophes). I just can't abide things that are nonsensical or derived from carelessness.

@SotiCoto The only explanation I can think of as to why Americans tend to say "erb" is because historically speaking, like waaay back in the 1300s when this word became a thing in English, herb was originally not pronounced with the H. British people eventually were like "uhh there's an h, so we're gonna actually pronounce it," but as you've mentioned, Americans now for some reason go back to the old Latin and sort-of-French way of saying herb. Not sure why--language is just weird like that!

Also, I was technically wrong in my first comment. I'm an American myself and somehow didn't realize until now that most other Americans (besides me, apparently) actually pronounce the h in "herbivore." The only h we don't pronounce is in the word "herb." So you were absolutely right! And sorry for misleading you. The translator definitely should have put "a herbivore," as it would be 100% correct in both American and British English.

We have a really weird and I assume irritating way of pronouncing certain things I guess, haha. Like, I spelled "arctic" like "artic" up until around 6th grade because most Americans pronounce it like that (mostly because some of our accents don't allow us to smoothly pronounce the "c" in arctic, and I believe it's the original English/French pronunciation as well)

Banned
@notafurryiswear : Not sure on Latin having silent letters. I'd have to ask my mother, probably... given she is old enough to have learnt Latin in school. It never really gave the impression of being much of a silent-letters sort of language... unlike French or Dutch... or English, I suppose.

Then I suppose there is the matter of emphasis and some languages or variants of languages putting more emphasis on one syllable than another. Hence why there was a large argument back in a community I was on in 2001 because we were playing a rhyming game and one of my friends rhymed "fork" with "walk" ... Completely legitimate in Britain, but the Americans didn't agree...

Dex-chan lover
Nice that they use yen in Zootopia.
Also: "My best friend was a guinea pig" 🤔

Fed-Kun's army
..okay, holy hell man, Louis was like a lady-killer here, lol . first Haru fell in love with him, Juno starting to feel some sort of affection towards him and now this stripper? man-o-man, seems like we already have the winner here... lolmao

Users who are viewing this thread