Beauty and the Beast Girl - Ch. 29

Dex-chan lover
So, are most of the mangaka indefinitely going to continue trivializing the harmful nature of smoking?

Dex-chan lover
She probably got sick when she got soaked in the rain.

Sickly Senpai
Staff
Super Moderator
Heath is a Heath-type.
And the most wonderful thing about Tiggers Heaths is that she's~ the only one~. ~_^

Aggregator gang
The doctor's kinda cool. I like her already. 😆 and Totoro and Little Heath just killed me.. 😍❤ so cuuuute!!

Dex-chan lover
@urtoast

Well, there wasn't any visible smoke. However, in any case, these images are yet more that continue to normalize the use of cigarettes. Now, I surely loathe the persecution of smokers that has become fashionable in some quarters, and I especially dislike soft prohibition by special taxation. But manga/manhwa/manhua simply too often treat self-destructive behaviors as if they are innocuous.

Dex-chan lover
A twist that seems not to have been explored is the possibility that things that Heath can eat might be harmful to Lily.

Power Uploader
@oecanomist Well she is a shady doctor. Plus I don't think this universe has vaping.

@urtoast @GoggledAnon That's just my opinion but you shouldn't pay attention or reply to people who talk about irrelevant topics. I mean the main subject is this manga/chapter, this isn't a forum thread about "Why smoking in manga is harmful".

Dex-chan lover
@Oeconomist:
A twist that seems not to have been explored is the possibility that things that Heath can eat might be harmful to Lily.
Perhaps the author is implying that Heath is more or less identical to a human in terms of what foods are beneficial or harmful to her, with the sole differences being in things like digestive efficiency and how much a harmful thing can actually harm her (i.e. something that could kill an ordinary human would just give her a severe stomachache and/or diarrhea).

Dex-chan lover
@TankBaleine

The details of the ethoi of these stories are as on-topic as are the details of the illustration as such; and how such details fit into a larger framework of manga story-telling (or of story-telling more generally) is also on-topic.

You of course don't have to keep reading about the recurring themes of any sort, if those themes don't interest you or if the discussion otherwise doesn't interest you.

Dex-chan lover
@MarqFJA87

Sure. But when Heath advised Lilly that the fruit were safe, my first thought was that Heath shouldn't make that claim unless she somehow knew that they were safe for someone other than herself. And, initially, when Lily was sick, my thought was that the fruit might have proved toxic to her, even though not to Heath.

Dex-chan lover
Because of course a family that has monster folk in their employ has a shady doctor on call. Really why was I expecting anything else?

Users who are viewing this thread