Being a Maid Is Better Than Being a Princess - Vol. 1 Ch. 28

Dex-chan lover
It's nice seeing this manhwa treating autism seriously. Though there's no explanation as to how MC not only knew about autism (that it's not an illness but a birth defect), but also how to handle and treat an autistic kid. She was an abused princess turned maid, so she normally wouldn't know that. She's also not an isekai'd person.

It'd be nice if author gives an explanation of how she got her knowledge, rather than just making us guess.
:nyoron:

It's nice seeing this manhwa treating autism seriously. Though there's no explanation as to how MC not only knew about autism (that it's not an illness but a birth defect), but also how to handle and treat an autistic kid. She was an abused princess turned maid, so she normally wouldn't know that. She's also not an isekai'd person.

It'd be nice if author gives an explanation of how she got her knowledge, rather than just making us guess.
I think they mentioned in the chapter that they introduced Resis(?) how a prince in her now dead family had autism but correct me if I’m wrong

Dex-chan lover
I think they mentioned in the chapter that they introduced Resis(?) how a prince in her now dead family had autism but correct me if I’m wrong
Nope. Noone said anything about autism. There's nothing indicating that autism was researched in that world. The parents didn't know so the family doctor(s) most likely also didn't know. Even the crown prince didn't have any info about the kid except for his age and that he grew up outside the palace.

Dex-chan lover
Author-nim better turn that debut in 15 days into an art gallery exhibit. The kid can even attend long enough to say "I'm here" then leave without having to meet everyone.

Dex-chan lover
Asperger, an extreme end of Autism Spectrum. Kind of like the kids who watch buses or trains all day.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome
The child doesn't speak (yet), so he wouldn't get diagnosed with Asperger's. The term is also outdated by now, neither DSM-5 nor ICD-11 uses it. According to the DMS-5, he'd likely be placed on level 2 or level 3 autism, not level 1 (mostly similar to what was called Asperger's), depending on his daily life skills.

Dex-chan lover
because in the late 2000s it became "the diagnosis of choice" for "Being an asshole in your primary social group" primarily aimed at teenagers.
You're not even making any sense with that comment.
It has much more to do with Hans Asperger's participation in the child euthanasia program, and how Asperger's syndrome really sees to be a diagnosis of "can be trained to become valuable citizens, so shouldn't be put down too early".

Supporter
The child doesn't speak (yet), so he wouldn't get diagnosed with Asperger's. The term is also outdated by now, neither DSM-5 nor ICD-11 uses it. According to the DMS-5, he'd likely be placed on level 2 or level 3 autism, not level 1 (mostly similar to what was called Asperger's), depending on his daily life skills.
I suspect someone mostly non-verbal at his age (12, or thereabouts) would definitely be diagnosed with level 3 ASD, however it's hard to know what else he has issues with aside from communication - he's in a completely different kind of environment to modern kids, with servants and so forth who'd be dealing with may of the day to day things that a modern kid would be expected to be handling on their own by that age (and which would normally be considered in an assessment).

because in the late 2000s it became "the diagnosis of choice" for "Being an asshole in your primary social group" primarily aimed at teenagers.
Hardly - the push to merge Aspergers into the broader ASD diagnosis was driven largely by the recognition that there were fewer differences between Aspergers and "classic" autism than there were similarities, so having a separate classification for (effectively speaking) "autism with only limited verbal communication impairment" wasn't a good approach.

That said, the fact that there was that "special" version of autism, particularly one which was fairly easily recognisable in successful people working in tech, at a time when tech industries suddenly became very visible, may well have contributed to that reasoning - having separate diagnoses, one of which could be associated with successful people while the other had strong negative associations, was just reinforcing the stereotypes and challenges. "Oh, you've got Aspergers? I guess you'll drop out of college and get rich then!" - not particularly helpful if you have sensory sensitivities that make you unable to handle working in an office, or any of the other "impairments" that would have to be assessed as having a significant impact on your life in order to actually get that Aspergers diagnosis. "Oh, you have Aspergers" was far too often treated as code for "Oh, you're a bit weird but you don't really have any excuse for not being able to fit in and succeed in life". And at the same time, it meant that autistic people who did have communication challenges, particularly when they were young kids, were hived off into the "classic" autism diagnosis where they were treated as less than human, regardless of what their actual capabilities and potential were.

Merging everything under the Autism Spectrum Disorder umbrella was definitely a step forward, both diagnostically and for the actual autistic people involved. It's still far from perfect - the levels are based on support needs, which is a nice enough sounding idea, but it doesn't exactly capture the constantly changing challenges and coping capacity that autistic people live with, particularly for those assessed at level 1 (roughly analogous to Aspergers, though not quite). But it does at least shift the focus away from what's wrong with autistic people to the support they need . . . kind of, nominally. We're still progressing down that path, and the diagnostic criteria haven't really followed yet - they'll get there eventually . . . probably.

Not going to go into the links Hans Asperger had with the Nazis and their euthenasia programs - that's a whole other kettle of fish. Not least because Asperger's publications came out much later than work by Grunya Sukhareva in the Soviet Union, work which was arguably much better than what Asperger produced, and might have made the world a much better place for autistics if it had gotten wider recognition . . .

Supporter
"Birth defect" really isn't a good way to talk about autism . . . "Developmental disorder" is better (though still focused on autism as a pathological condition), the general underlying cause is neurological development not following the same patterns as non-autistic people, meaning that their brains end up literally wired differently. It's very much not a "birth defect", though the developmental differences do seem to start from very early on.

Supporter
Yeah, I'm hoping there's something said about this, because it's anachronistic as hell . . .

That said, the kid is playing with a toy robot, so clearly someone in the production team for this manhua doesn't have any issues with anachronism . . .

Dex-chan lover
You're not even making any sense with that comment.
just like how ADHD in the 2000s was used to push stimulant usage and pretend that education reforms were functioning, Aspergers was used to ignore changes in society during the introduction of the current style of social media platform. the definition was broadened to a point in benefit of this false positive diagnosis to the point where my entire highschool at the year of my graduation would have been diagnosed because we were some of the first people where you could describe us as "Terminally Online", and this is speaking as someone who was inflicted with a false positive diagnosis because they spent 2 years at a different school district of their own mistakes where they were bullied constantly and intentionally isolated from every clique within their grade regardless of how much they wanted to make friends. You ever see the kid who the loser clique considers beneath them? i was designated that. So ya i was going to be antisocial for those 2 years.

From the looks of things seeing how she knows a lot more stuff than before.
She probably was desperate enough to know everything and anything just so she could get any form of advantage for her situation

Users who are viewing this thread