Being logged out at random durations

Supporter
If so, no worries: Is it normal to be asked to log back in every day or two, sometimes a week or two, at random intervals despite not having logged out or cleared cookies or whatnot? (Most recently within the last 15-ish minutes, it's not just at night or any suchlike.)

Contributor
If so, no worries: Is it normal to be asked to log back in every day or two, sometimes a week or two, at random intervals despite not having logged out or cleared cookies or whatnot? (Most recently within the last 15-ish minutes, it's not just at night or any suchlike.)
Must of the time that behavior is related to your browser or some extension/add-on.

Contributor
The only "server side" explanations would be would be you did not check "Remember Me" when logging in, or the Authentication service was restarted/died. The later would impact most/all users though.

Dex-chan lover
The only "server side" explanations would be would be you did not check "Remember Me" when logging in, or the Authentication service was restarted/died. The later would impact most/all users though.
I do check it. Could be something to do with putting my laptop to sleep or firefox updates. But that's why I'm hopeful that OP will get a response from one of the web devs.

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
Login sessions last three months, if you're getting logged out sooner than that then something on your side is deleting the session token.

Safari on iOS clears LocalStorage after 7 days of inactivity, which is the most common cause. Outside of that, privacy-focused browsers/extensions that automatically clear browsing history/cookies often delete session tokens as a side effect.

Supporter
Login sessions last three months, if you're getting logged out sooner than that then something on your side is deleting the session token.

Safari on iOS clears LocalStorage after 7 days of inactivity, which is the most common cause. Outside of that, privacy-focused browsers/extensions that automatically clear browsing history/cookies often delete session tokens as a side effect.
I don't know if this is the key to it, but thank you for providing specific leads to follow. It doesn't do it to any other site that I've observed, but maybe there's something about one of the cookies Mangadex uses that Privacy Badger thinks is suspicious.

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
I don't know if this is the key to it, but thank you for providing specific leads to follow. It doesn't do it to any other site that I've observed, but maybe there's something about one of the cookies Mangadex uses that Privacy Badger thinks is suspicious.
Privacy Badger might flag tokens that follow you across subdomains (main site/forums/auth) and clearing those would log you out, yes.

Supporter
Privacy Badger might flag tokens that follow you across subdomains (main site/forums/auth) and clearing those would log you out, yes.
Possibly noteworthy: Your post got me thinking, so I checked. And indeed, I had to disable it on both forums.mangadex.org and mangadex.org. Thank you again.

Supporter
Possibly noteworthy: Your post got me thinking, so I checked. And indeed, I had to disable it on both forums.mangadex.org and mangadex.org. Thank you again.
TLDR for anyone else running into this: Type auth.mangadex.org into your URL box and hit enter, then disable it for this subdomain as well.

Apparently it also has to be disabled on auth.mangadex.org, or at least that's what I'm hoping since I just had it happen again. Hopefully this will be the end of it, and there aren't more subdomains to disable it on.

It wasn't obvious this function was accessing auth.mangadex.org (which might be why Privacy Badger treats it as suspicious)... as far as I can recall just now, the "You need to sign in to access this page" (with a button that lets you do so) page doesn't display it in the URL. But when I officially signed out and officially signed in, the URL box did include "auth." so it was easy to disable it.

Dex-chan lover
I think I've narrowed my issue down to some complication that arises when I've got a chapter open and I close my laptop for the evening. When I finish the chapter I have to log back in. Not sure what causes that, but it's probably specific to my setup.

Supporter
TLDR for anyone else running into this: Type auth.mangadex.org into your URL box and hit enter, then disable it for this subdomain as well.

Apparently it also has to be disabled on auth.mangadex.org, or at least that's what I'm hoping since I just had it happen again. Hopefully this will be the end of it, and there aren't more subdomains to disable it on.

It wasn't obvious this function was accessing auth.mangadex.org (which might be why Privacy Badger treats it as suspicious)... as far as I can recall just now, the "You need to sign in to access this page" (with a button that lets you do so) page doesn't display it in the URL. But when I officially signed out and officially signed in, the URL box did include "auth." so it was easy to disable it.
It's been long enough that this seems to be a solution* wrt Privacy Badger. The unwanted logout happened again even after disabling PB for mangadex.org and forums.mangadex.org, but it hasn't happened since also disabling PB for auth.mangadex.org.

* - Probably in tandem with the post above it. You could try just disabling PB on auth.mangadex.org if you want, but if you keep getting logged out then do it for the other two as well.

Or then again, looks like I was wrong. I've been logged out three times since I made this post, so my next gambit is disabling PB on *.mangadex.org and hoping the wildcard character works (since I have no idea how many more subdomains exist).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread