Beloved

Age of consent is pretty much arbitrary. I think in Japan it's 13 while in the UK or some parts of Europe it's 16. It's a subject about when do we consider a human "mature".

If we define maturity through brain development (neuroscience/psychiatry), we don't mature until the age of 25. In psychology, you'd have to undergo tests to help identify if you're capable of making decisions on your own without outside influence (because children are impressionable, easily influenced, and therefore "immature").

Historically speaking, the idea behind "age of consent" in some religious conservative societies is the idea that once a girl has her first period, she's ready to bear children. She's "ready to be ploughed for seeding" so to speak. If her body's capable of becoming a mother--signaled by first menstruation--then she's capable of sexual relations, regardless of whether she's a pre-teen or older. Some girls have their first period at age 10. Now that's just insane, right?

While I disagree to 12-13-14 as age of consent, I wouldn't wanna raise it absurdly to 18-25.
Late-teens (16-17-18-19) should be able to safely sexually experiment with each other, or with an adult with whom they have ample evidence that they could be safe with. So I think, the safest we can agree on is across the board raise the age of consent to 16. That's it. Below 16 is automatic statutory rape regardless of who has sex with whom.

Dex-chan lover
Love it! To fast. to fast... There was some stories I wanna hear!!! Thanks a lot

the art is amazing, but the story... uh. it doesnt matter the age people can give consent. it's not a valid reason for a grown adult to go out with a child.
it amazes me that people in the comments were wishing for this story to be longer... are y'all fetishizing lesbians?

@ClaudeSP89
Always thought it depended on that countries birthrate and whether or not they wanted to try to increase it. Both Japan and China's birthrate are low, then again China kind of shot themselves in the foot with their 1 child policy.

First thing's first, this series is BEAUTIFUL. Pretty much every single panel is gorgeous, and the watercolor style of it all is just sooooo great to look at. If I were to judge the series purely on its art, it would be an S rank for sure. Unfortunately for Beloved, I'm going to judge it on more than its art. This series runs into a tragically common pitfall for age gap yuri series: deciding that the age gap doesn't really matter. As the series progresses, the age gap between the two characters becomes less and less relevant to the point where it's basically a normal romance without any interesting difference in dynamics between perspectives. "Cowardly" is too harsh a term to use, but I'll say that it at the very least feels wishy-washy. At that point, why bother having a complicated dynamic in the first place? Anyway, all that aside, I think I'd probably still recommend the series purely because of how amazing the art is. A shame that the series isn't anything more than nice to look at.

Users who are viewing this thread