Best Friends - Vol. 5 Ch. 39

Dex-chan lover
not sure what you're asking but...

NTR usually means that they are together as a couple but one got cheated on, or one person has romantic feelings for the other but got cuckold. However, in this story (from what I remember by the end of volume 5), they are still just friends, like super close friends but the author doesn't outright call it romantic feelings so it really doesn't fit the meaning of NTR.

However, I do understand that many will feel betrayed by the sudden hetero relationship, even I was, but I think we should wait till the end of the series to see how things go. If the author doesn't let them get together then this story is a yuribait.
you know, it is a tag/genre. so it doesn't always need to about the context but more about the meta. and it have been use that way in mangaka world
Sure, because the character is not in a relationship, it is for sure not cheating. but it still work as NTR. Work As long as it using the setting of either steal someone girl or your girl get stolen , because in the japanese manga world, the meta of the childhoodfriend trope, "more than friend less than lover" etc... is just common thing, in the end the goal is trigger the same type of feeling within the audience. Yes, it is NTR.
There are also the case of alt scenario with parody doujinshi, it play in the fact that in this version of the story, someone else still steath the girl and make this scenario happen instead of the canon one, it try to trigger the same "steal your girl".
at the end of the day, word will always evoles to fit and to describe whatever the social at the time deem it to fit. So character not dating yet ? it still NTR now, i decided

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
you know, it is a tag/genre. so it doesn't always need to about the context but more about the meta. and it have been use that way in mangaka world

at the end of the day, word will always evoles to fit and to describe whatever the social at the time deem it to fit. So character not dating yet ? it still NTR now, i decided.
well I mean, you know what they said, "we live in a world where anything can mean anything", so you do you I guess. While I'd just stick to the definitions of things as they currently are.

Here. For anyone wondering what the hell is going on. Be warned. Massive spoilers.
The manga in question introduces a darker tone by deviating from its initial lighthearted atmosphere. In the 6th volume, the protagonist faces online attacks, leading to psychological distress and school absence. The latest development reveals that the protagonist's close friend, depicted on the cover, is seemingly experiencing domestic violence from a narcissistic senior. Notably, the protagonist also encounters harassment at work.

The upcoming 7th volume hints at the protagonist taking action to save the friend from the abusive situation. However, the release date being in January 2024 leaves readers anticipating the resolution while grappling with the suspense until then.

The manga's potential issues include the perceived difficulty in following the narrative's shift from a relaxed atmosphere to a more intense one. The introduction of a depressive storyline might be an attempt to generate impact in a climate where stories without significant twists struggle to gain attention. Additionally, the abrupt transformation of a resilient character into a victim of abuse raises questions about the authenticity of the plot. The friend's drastic change, seemingly influenced by a psychopathic antagonist, is deemed extreme, and the lack of intervention by her caring mother adds to the questionable nature of the story.

As for the resolution, there's speculation that the protagonist might turn to the internet for help, possibly leading to a revenge plot reminiscent of online forums like 2ch. However, considering the gravity of the issue, some readers find it challenging to believe that the problems can be resolved solely by the actions of teenagers.

In conclusion, the manga provides realistic and dramatic elements, but the extreme portrayal of domestic violence is criticized for being too intense, potentially causing readers' discomfort and strong reactions.

I would like to state that I still believe this series deserves a proper translation. I need answers
Okay, I know artstyle changes and such, but please tell me that Satsuki isn't the one who gets in that heterosexual relationship or whatnot. Marked that as spoiler just in case someone didn't read the above spoilers and got jumpscared by that question

Dex-chan lover
Okay, I know artstyle changes and such, but please tell me that Satsuki isn't the one who gets in that heterosexual relationship or whatnot. Marked that as spoiler just in case someone didn't read the above spoilers and got jumpscared by that question
I think that's what they're saying, yeah. To summarize their spoilers: Satsuki gets into a het relationship, partner abuse short-circuits her otherwise brave personality (realistic), Hina is unable to help her, and Satsuki is still controlled by graduation. At some point Satsuki has/will get a girlfriend in highschool, which is bittersweet because it implies she escaped the abuse, and affirms that she's queer, but her first GF presumably isn't/won't be Hina. Also someone has an online abuse subplot. I assume the reader spends a lot of time with Hina stewing in unfixable heartache.

So a volume of emotional pain tracing back to Satsuki's decisions, which may feel arbitrary if her thought process continues to be unexplained, like it has been since she first obsessively clung to Hina. At the same time, the difficult tropes may actually be used for worthwhile development and the story is generally upbeat, so people pausing on 6 get hurt without a resolution.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Glad I saw spoilers and didn't start this one 🙃 The author's doujinshi side is way more wholesome, and I don't need something realistic like this. And even though the author even tagged this as yuri on pixiv and even defended the decision, it would only leave a bad taste in my mouth if the two main ain't ended up together.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Btw, in the first chapter there is a picture of them as OL, so at the very least they are still in touch in the far future. But based on their gesture, sadly I don't think they will be together.

Aggregator gang
wait. wtf. so this series ends with one of them in a hetero relationship?? then wtf. remove that GL tag lmao. i hate shit like this.

edit: yeah uhh so don't even bother translating this shit. or, better yet, remove that yuri/GL tag. the last volume literally just ends with Satsuki with the random man and Tororo is just by herself. SHIT manga.

Last edited:
Aggregator gang
what a w
Btw, in the first chapter there is a picture of them as OL, so at the very least they are still in touch in the far future. But based on their gesture, sadly I don't think they will be together.
what a whole waste of time. wtf. i thought this was gonna be a cute series of childhood friends, rivals to lovers type of shit. why the fuck did the author have to go the realistic route? sickening af

At some point Satsuki has/will get a girlfriend in highschool, which is bittersweet because it implies she escaped the abuse, and affirms that she's queer, but her first GF presumably isn't/won't be Hina.
which panel said that satsuki got a GF? i looked at vol 7 and didn't see her end with a girl. i dont think even tororo got into a relationship with a girl.

Glad I saw spoilers and didn't start this one 🙃 The author's doujinshi side is way more wholesome, and I don't need something realistic like this. And even though the author even tagged this as yuri on pixiv and even defended the decision, it would only leave a bad taste in my mouth if the two main ain't ended up together.
see? this is the problem with things getting tagged as yuri even though ultimately, the author decides it wont end as one. people say that "two girls being friends with no romance is still yuri" and here we are with this baiting. technically the beginning was yuri so the author was right to tag it but then to just do a 180 and go hetero anyway is such bullshit. i won't be supporting this author anymore. this manga is such a shit show.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
S
wait. wtf. so this series ends with one of them in a hetero relationship?? then wtf. remove that GL tag lmao. i hate shit like this.

edit: yeah uhh so don't even bother translating this shit. or, better yet, remove that yuri/GL tag. the last volume literally just ends with Satsuki with the random man and Tororo is just by herself. SHIT manga.
Small correction, vol 7 isn't the last one. Chap 56 just dropped recently. Also, while we don't know who Satsuki will be with at the end, at least there is indication she is back to her true self in the future. Well, doesn't mean I will be happy with whatever author does to Totoro.

Users who are viewing this thread