Binetsu Kuukan

Oh, wow, it's alive.

Thanks for working on this little iyashikei jewel (drama? what drama?)

edit: ookay, i did caught up with the whole thing, and as of chapter 12, there is some drama.

The releases for this are so far apart that I keep forgetting if I already read the chapters or not. I keep rereading this over and over. Oy vey.

Group Leader
OMG THIS MANGA IS SO GOOD! !

Wait. thrice a year? what. GDI AHHH

brb, going to cry in a corner

Contributor
Agreed, This is so good, maybe too good, No pointless drama, Sweet-Bitter Love, Likeable Character. As expected from Aoki Ume
Minus : Only Came out 3x Per 1 Year.....

Dex-chan lover
@jak I too feel the same. It really feels like a seinen (I understand it might have more romance than a usual seinen, but the artstyle just feels targeted towards males) and I really enjoy it. Very many thanks to our scanlators for bringing this series~

@jak @FrenzyMode It's pretty hard to classify. Ume has said in an interview that she doesn't really have a specific target audience, and the publication it's run in does any kind of romance. It's just what happens when you try to bin everything into four categories.

Double-page supporter
That's because Rakuen Le Paradis is a very eclectic magazine. It includes everything from "mature" yuri -- not mature as in sex (though sometimes...), but more adult characters or themes -- to a screwy comedy by Kumeta Kouji (remember Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei?) who traditionally publishes in shounen magazines, to slow and sweet romances like 14-san no Koi, to funny short works, etc. Per Ooyasan, its ostensible unifying theme is "romance."

It's only "josei" because some sort of demographic label was needed for the magazine, I suppose. I guess that was the most "yeah, well, it's not JUMP" choice they can go with, which really shows the weakness of the system.

Incidentally, seinen is an even worse demographic to shoehorn things into because so many wildly different things would work under the "18 to 30 something men would read this" category. It's like, well, those people read almost *anything*, what does this cute stepsibling romance have in common with Berserk?

Aggregator gang
@Freestyle Right?

I don't get why most romance manga has to include a lesbian friend who hates the male lead because he has the attention of the female lead. I mean you know a romance between the female lead a nd the lesbian friend will never happen, so it's not like she'll provide any real tension in the "Will they? Wont they?" dynamic.

When it's all said and done, her story will amount to a lot of crying about "Why does she like him and not me?!" and it ends with her accepting the male lead as a good person who deserves to be with her friend and/or she finds someone else to pair up with, usually a guy (and from the looks of things it'll probably be the friend of the male lead) because when the lesbian friend finds someone else, most of the time, she finds herself with a guy and not a girl just because.

There's nothing to gain from this jealousy plotline, except for melodramatic filler.

Aggregator gang
@mikegnesium

1. Binetsu Kuukan (the one you're reading now)
2. Baka to test.
3. Yancha Gal no Anjo-san
4. Aki Sora (Hate this manga but its a famous example with the sister hating her brother and is in love with her friend who likes the brother)
5. Akkun to Kanajo
6. Okusama ga Seito Kaichou
7. Hundred (Cluadia)
8. Hajimete no Gal
9. Maken Ki (Furan)
10. Renai Boukun
11. (If you don't want to include the first one) Tonari no Kashiwagi-san
I didn't include this one because it's not a romance manga, but in Attack on Titan and its school au spinoff Ymir hates any guy that appears to put the moves on Krista.

I have nothing against lesbian characters in manga, I just get annoyed with the trope of the possessive man-hating lesbian friend.

Come on. You gave me mostly fanservice'y ecchi slash haremus - you know why those 'lesbians' are there. How are the titles from your list even vaguely similar to the one we're talking about here?

The only two manga somewhat compatible tonally that i can come up with on the spot would be Nijiiro Days and Love at fourteen. But in that second one the girl remains irrationally hateful, so she doesn't serve mentioned narrative purpose and the comic doesn't qualify.

The end.

Aggregator gang
@mikegnesium

If you're gong to discount some of these entries based on them having fanservice, well then sorry, tough break. You said name 10 manga/anime, I came up with 11 (you named two more). Don't change the goalpost because I actually stepped up to your challenge and provided the list of manga/anime with a clingy lesbian friend.

I'm sorry if this offends you but hey, those are the breaks. You lost this one, end of discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread