BLADE & BASTARD - Ch. 6.1 - Scale 1

Dex-chan lover
I can't think of any other manga who's fantasy system is the Wizardry one. It's kind of nice to see since usually it's just a generic one.

Dex-chan lover
Sorta disappointed that they just offed that backstory girl like that. Wonder if it's just set-up for a resurrection sometime down the line though.
Having read the novel,

she has a more important background

Last edited by a moderator:
Dex-chan lover
I can't think of any other manga who's fantasy system is the Wizardry one. It's kind of nice to see since usually it's just a generic one.

This is an officially licensed Wizardry product, so it's going to be all Wizardry all the time I guess (though why they bothered to reverse Boltac's I don't know).

And I agree, it is nice to see these mechanics instead of the more generic fantasy ones.

Double-page supporter
This is an officially licensed Wizardry product, so it's going to be all Wizardry all the time I guess (though why they bothered to reverse Boltac's I don't know).

And I agree, it is nice to see these mechanics instead of the more generic fantasy ones.
Wait, I remember how Wizardry 6 ended, that opens up some REALLY WEIRD options here.

Dex-chan lover
Wait, I remember how Wizardry 6 ended, that opens up some REALLY WEIRD options here.

Well we've got Wizardry 5 spell lists, but also the Softalk Allstars are running around and they should have been gone after Wizardry 4.

Though maybe in this timeline Wizardry 4 didn't happen?

Contributor
This has not captured me yet (nor has Moscow 2160), but I guess I will continue reading.

Dex-chan lover
idk what's wizardry but this is picking up steam slowly
They are among the oldest first person dungeon crawlers and definitely among the most brutal. Experience's stuff, such as Demon Gaze and Saviors of Sapphire Wings, are the most similar mechanically among more modern ones, though you could also look at stuff like Dungeon Travelers, Etrian Odyssey, Labyrinth of Galleria, or Mary Skelter to get a general idea of the genre if you don't want to jump straight into Wizardry brutality. Or you could just jump right in, since Steam's got a few of them on it already.

Dex-chan lover
They are among the oldest first person dungeon crawlers and definitely among the most brutal. Experience's stuff, such as Demon Gaze and Saviors of Sapphire Wings, are the most similar mechanically among more modern ones, though you could also look at stuff like Dungeon Travelers, Etrian Odyssey, Labyrinth of Galleria, or Mary Skelter to get a general idea of the genre if you don't want to jump straight into Wizardry brutality. Or you could just jump right in, since Steam's got a few of them on it already.
They've even got a new in-progress remake of the 1st Wizardry!

But you are correct; Wizardry was the first party-based 1st person dungeon crawler that got a release to home PCs. Alakabeth beat it out for 1st dungeon crawler, but that game only had a single player character.

The games that predated Wizardry (such as Moria and Oubliette) were only available on the big college mainframes, so all RPGs basically trace their roots back to Wizardry and Ultima.

Dungeon crawlers like Wizardry pretty much died out in the west for a long time, but Japan loved them and kept making their own Wizardry sequels long after the original developer went defunct.

Dex-chan lover
"Catlob" sounds familiar, does it?
That's up there with "Alucard" and "Nabzif," in the all-time not greats...

At least now I get why it was quoting alignments straight from the (now obvious) source...

Users who are viewing this thread