Blue Lock - Vol. 12 Ch. 103 - Total Sensory Experience

Thank for translating. I waited for this from yesterday. Finally Isagi can break through. A bit sad because I over so fast. We have to wait for the next chapter to see what happen next.

I also want to see the match of Bachira, Bauro and Nagi. But I’m okay if the author want to skip it. Because if it happen I will have to wait for 1-2 month to see Isagi.

Double-page supporter
Great chapter.

This one state of "flow" is something that actually exists. I know because I've experienced it sometimes. It's pretty mesmerizing.

I love this manga but I bust a gut at him having achieved 'flow'

It's as cheesy as the moment Kuroko mo Basuke treated the idea of being in the zone as some profound secret technique.

Fed-Kun's army
This manga is so fucking basic but it gets me so hype every time.

Also, isn't there a "flow" mechanic in Kuroko no Basket too?

Dex-chan lover
Flow's a real thing with real strong effects, and the general concept of thinking "by looking" is one that works (in various contexts).

Consider the book "The Inner Game of Tennis," which is well-regarded by all sorts of top competitors. (I found it via the Super Smash Bros Melee community recommended by an absolute top-level player with extremely beautiful and skillful play, but I'm pretty sure the book's well regarded by other top sports people.)

I play (competitive, multiplayer, fast-paced) video games primarily to try to reach a state of flow, because flow is exhilarating (and the feats you can pull off in a state of flow are beautiful.) Not that flow is anything like the only factor having to do with who wins. But it's the most fun factor.

In spite of all the talk of ego in this manga, flow also requires you to let go of your ego and just immerse yourself completely in your raw sensations and in "the situation", rather than thinking of yourself or the story of you (e.g. considering whether you're "better" or "worse" than other people). All of that goes away, and you're just present, and immersed, and extremely alive. Actually it's sort less "you are present" and more "you are the present." You are the moment. There's isn't a "you." There's just the moment.

So, uh, I recommend flow. Flow is fun.

As some have predicted, we now have confirmation of the flow state being a factor in this world. As @Brackass explained, it's a real state that - while more apparent and commonly linked to sports, can be achieved through other means. I can't say I agree with the usage here; I've experienced the flow state many times over the years and it's never been for as brief as Isagi displayed. His goal honestly feels more like a "click" moment than being in the flow state.

After all, the flow state is only achievable when the person's skill level and challenge presented align perfectly, which - by definition - would require at least some time to recognise said difficulty in comparison to skill level. Isagi was always a step behind and was aware of that fact, placing him firmly within the "overwhelmed" and "concerned" groupings. For him to enter a state of flow under the current match's circumstances, his skill level would need to increase enough to push past the "excitation" grouping into the flow state.

Instead, Isagi's increase in skill seemingly comes from entering the flow state itself, rather than reaching the flow state after improving. He's gotten the order wrong - at least according to Csikszentmihalyi, and so I'm a tad annoyed he has a click moment and Ego is over there calling it the flow state. I'm passionate about the concept, so I'm willing to admit I'm too invested in a faithful representation.

Genuinely curious as to others' experiences with the flow state in terms of duration because I don't know anyone who has just snapped in and out of it as quickly as Isagi apprently did, all in all it was less than a minute.

Personal gripe: It gets to me when the flow state is introduced in sports manga and everyone is surprised at its existence, since there isn't a single sport I've played where someone has been surprised when it gets brought up.

All that said, I will lose my shit if we get a "Hyperfocus vs Flow" matchup. Seriously, I live for those clashes.

Edit: @Kanami-chan, not sure if you're grouping those wrong on purpose or not, but an adrenaline rush isn't comparible to the flow state, and "the zone" is just another term for the flow state.

5 chapters later we’ll get back lame(ish) Isagi again, I hope not but that’s what I expect.

Users who are viewing this thread